Picture suddenly disappears for about 1 second!

Well I didn't notice the problem last night.

Will continue to monitor and report back if problem returns.

I wonder what SysMon is doing to cause this behaviour!

Perhaps I may turn it back on sometime to see if it kicks off again. Trouble is you have to wait around 2+ hours and not turn away for a second.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wonder what SysMon is doing to cause this behaviour!
It's asking the disk to report its temperature every minute and updating a database on the disk. It shouldn't cause playback problems, and doesn't on my box, but there does seem to be a link somewhere!

I used to get it regularly until I removed sysmon, based on other reported observations. It's hardly scientific, but the occurrences were worthy of note with sysmon and now are completely absent.

I also unplugged my external drives at the time, but they are back now.

It's asking the disk to report its temperature every minute and updating a database on the disk. It shouldn't cause playback problems, and doesn't on my box, but there does seem to be a link somewhere!
AF123, just for the record, it did not affect the disk recording/playback only the HDMI output of the live signal to the TV.

Well mines been clear again for the third night running.

BH are you sure that yours wasn't a genuine transmission problem? Anyway I suppose if it only occurs once in several days its no big deal. Probably just an anomaly/fluke relating to several processes "clashing".

Not transmission no, I skimmed back in the TSR to check. It certainly doesn't happen very often (but I do have my external drives connected!).

Well here we are approx one month on and the problem has not recurred.

So it looks like sysmon was causing te problem.

Thanks BH and co.

I have been getting the "black screen" during playback of recorded programmes. Rewinding the offending section plays perfectly. In some cases, another programme was being recorded at the same time.

I was wondering if there was local (in my vicinity) impulse interference that might cause the processor to go off and do some other vital operation, thus freezing the playback. Some of the recent Dr Who episodes have had the "No Signal or Scrambled" message every six to ten minutes. Signal was 100% quality, and 70% strength, using an external aerial that came out the Ark, by the look of it. The box is an un-modified T2, with 1Tb disk, filled to 2/3 capacity, firmware is of the official broadcast "29" variant. When it does the "black screen" on playback, I have noticed furious disk seeking noises. Fan seems to kick in and out as unit temperature rises and falls, as normal. Also noticed excessive case vibration a few days ago.

I decided to fit a X-Beam loft aerial, with modern screened coaxial cable. Signal strength jumped to 81% on the PSB Muxes. Was still getting the "No signal" message.

Still annoyed by the black screen, I presumed that a poor connection was to blame. I removed the lid, unseated and reseated the disk connectors, tightened the fan mounting screws a little, wiped dust off the processor heat-sink and put the unit back together again. Vibration now seems to be cured; that plastic disk shroud is a damn nuisance.

The same day, I fitted a booster box, which increased the signal strength to 94% (quality still 100%). It is too early to report my findings.

Just want to say I've noticed this too, at first I thought it was interference - but skips forward 2 seconds at random times.

To the last two posts: it looks like your hard drives could do with a clean up, easily done with the latest 2.16 custom firmware.

Do you have SysMon running.

This is known to cause this kind of behaviour on live broadcasts.

Post 50 says "unmodified". Besides, it is thought that Sysmon misbehaves because of latent disk problems.

xyz123 - that's good news, I hadn't realised that. I'll have to give it another try then.

BH. Not sure about latent disk problems, I had this problem on my earlier HDR which did end up with disk problems, I agree. But it also occurred on replacement. I took SysMon of 3 months ago, on your advice, and it fixed it - the disk still shows as clean.

I hadn't picked up the lack of CF, I think a subsequent reference to disk check confused me!

Signal was 100% quality, and 70% strength...

I decided to fit a X-Beam loft aerial
Why?

Still annoyed by the black screen, I presumed that a poor connection was to blame. I removed the lid, unseated and reseated the disk connectors
Why? You really think that is going to make a difference?

The same day, I fitted a booster box, which increased the signal strength to 94% (quality still 100%).
Why?
Ah yes, the classic mark of an ignorant serial bodger...

Do you not understand the concept of 100% ?

It is too early to report my findings.
It isn't too early to report mine. But I'd probably get a nasty-gram from Brian.

Why? It's called 'grasping at straws'. Reseating connectors is an accepted fault finding procedure. In my considerable experience with things electronic, it sometimes worked so is always worth a try.
But I'd probably get a nasty-gram from Brian.
You deserve one for that post

removed SysMon tonight i'll see how it goes cheers :)
I would be interested to know what was happening with sysmon before you removed it. From a telnet prompt try typing the following and post the results here:
Code:
ls -l /mod/monitor
Do you have the auto-update package installed? If not, have you upgraded the packages within the last month?

Back