Picture suddenly disappears for about 1 second!

removed SysMon tonight i'll see how it goes cheers :)
As you are a custom user (and should be aware of THIS TOPIC - click), why resist a disk check and repair? It is easy with CF 2.16 via the Telnet menu, and worth getting to know (from the Telnet menu, select Maintenance [Humax reboots], restart Telnet to get Maintenance Mode menu, select disk check and repair, exit Maintenance Mode when done [Humax reboots, normality restored]).

I have been getting the "black screen" during playback of recorded programmes. Rewinding the offending section plays perfectly. In some cases, another programme was being recorded at the same time.
That the offending section plays perfectly from disk demonstrates there is nothing wrong with your signal reception (otherwise the data would not have made it to disk). Your course of investigation should be:
  • Complete power-off restart (cold boot);
  • Restore factory defaults (Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default, which will entail retuning, setting up all your options again, and reinstating your recording schedule);
  • Disk repair using CF2.16 (as above).

Reseating connectors is an accepted fault finding procedure.
If something was dead then maybe, but for something which works 99.999% of the time it is just ridiculous. It will NEVER be the cause and NEVER be the solution. Sorry if you don't like it, but it's a certainty.

In my considerable experience with things electronic, it sometimes worked so is always worth a try.
Perhaps you're an analogue dinosaur where such things could make a difference. But not in this instance of the digital world.

I have reported in other threads that multiple sessions in webif has caused a very short (flick) blank screen (without sysmon and mvdisks). Just clicking on auto.log has caused this on occasion.

Auto shrink on external drives gives more serious drop-outs, so I have unstalled mvdisks now I have shrunk my archive. I would reinstall it if I could get webif to play recordings on external (ext3) drives.

No, because there are no grounds for one.
You think?? This is supposed to be a support forum, not a "let's ridicule every post that appears stupid to my way of thinking" forum.

What was it you said about "I'm doing the best that I can"? Perhaps the irony of it went woosh.

Why?

Why? You really think that is going to make a difference?

Why?
Ah yes, the classic mark of an ignorant serial bodger...

Do you not understand the concept of 100% ?

It isn't too early to report mine. But I'd probably get a nasty-gram from Brian.

Well, the answers are:

Ancient aerial (the clue was "came out the Ark"), with unshielded coax and an unshielded UHF faceplate; impulse interference seems to be too readily picked up via the old aerial. So a new one was fitted, in the loft (I'm not about to do roof-top installs), with modern foil shielding coax and fed directly to the back of the HDR T2. Impulse interference was reduced, but still noticeable. I think it must be coming from a neighbour's gas boiler thermostat. So working on the premise of "Signal to Noise Ratio", whereby sufficient signal strength might overcome the impulse noise, I fitted the booster box (No line of sight of transmitter from loft height, neighbours' roof-tops are slightly higher, a hill is also in the way.) Incidentally, the X-Beam loft aerial was previously employed to satisfactory effect at a previous location, in the loft, with only the tiled roof to penetrate; transmitter was visible on the horizon beyond roof tiles.

My Panasonic washing machine had an "out of range" error occur on the water-level sensor, apparently cured by removing and reseating the offending connector plug. And I seem to remember similar reseating advice given for Thomson DHD4000 and other PVRs. Have you never heard of oxidation?

Besides, any excessive signal can easily be attenuated later, by means of a variable attenuator, if required.

I was toying with the idea of fitting a log-periodic aerial; apparently they have superior impulse-rejection performance. What are your thoughts?

And again, the black screen on playback occurred when one tuner was recording, and also when both were recording.

Back