Pixelation When Recording HD

Yeah I am, HD-Fox. I have the Manchester Derby recorded. Thats a good hour n half 2 hours, ill av a quick flick through at some point today ands ee if its pixlated/stutters at any point

Regarding Transmitters. I believe the one im using (Belmont) is the best available to me. The local news covers y area, where the other transmitter would be displaying news from Tyne Tees etc. Too far north for my liking;)

I've noticed this for the first time myself in the last week or so - just occasionally. I put it down to a weaker signal or perhaps the drive defragging at a busy time causing
an issue (does it do that?) I've also noticed a couple of black screens just for a second.

The custom software causes consistent blips (white flash on bottom half of picture and occasional loss of volume for two or three seconds) Nothing wrong with the recording as re-winding will go over the same recording and show no blips.

100% goes away when the custom software is removed. This is the basic package with only Samba as an extra, latest install 14th January.

Not the end of the world, the advantages far outweigh the blips, but a bit of a spoiler.

Brand New Toshiba 1TB USB3.0 Drive.

Ill record a few more things, see how it goes

I had the same issues with the exact same drive. Turns out this is an advanced format drive and the humax format is unaligned. I reformatted the drive on my
PC using parted and checked the alignment using
(parted) align-check minimal 1
1 aligned
I have not experienced breakup since. It turns out that ext3 is especially sensitive to misalignment. This link suggests that throughput might reduce to a half:

http://linuxconfig.org/linux-wd-ears-advanced-format

Just reading through the thread and thought I'd throw in my two pennies worth. Since it's only happening to recordings could it be the second turner? The signal from the aerial passes through one turner into the second. I wonder the signal level reading may only be from one tuner.
But yes I've noticed it from time to time, so guess it might be to do with the custom firmware. Anyhow best of luck.

I'm having similar problems although it's with all viewing and not just recording (HD or SD). Stuttering, flashing and occasionally complete absence of picture on all channels. Replaying causes it to occur in a diffrent place.
Removed completely when reverting to original formware. Not sure but I think it started after installing the AR/PAD modification, or when I modified a schedule via the remote scheduler

Just my 2 pence worth - have noticed similar dropouts/stutters on the HDR recordings only over the last 10 days or so (Webif/Custom always up to date)

A couple of times I have had the "This channel is scrambled...." message, other times I have had a still frame then it suddenly starts playing again having missed a second or two of the program - this is when playing from both the internal HD and an external 1Tb USB3 (yes I KNOW, but it was on offer @£39!). I have not had a delete operation running whenever this has occured.

The only thing I have not checked (and will do the next time it happens) is to do a quick rewind/replay to confirm whether it's the recording or playback that is failing.

IF it could be something to do with the Custom Firmware/WebIf then it might be helpful to know which packages "sufferers" of this syndrome have installed - maybe?

I have only had my HDR-FOX T2 for just over a week, so these are early findings.

I too have found using the custom firmware causes audio dropouts, stuttering, loss of HDMI signal, and the machine generally becoming less responsive to inputs from the remote. The longer the machine has been running the worse the problem gets. I am in a pre-DSO area, so I only receive SD broadcasts.

My Humax is plugged into a spare wireless router which is configured as a wireless bridge to my main ASDL router upstairs (I have a wireless dongle on order but haven't received it yet). This secondary router is often switched off when I am not using the Humax to access the iPlayer.

Significantly, I noticed that the problem of dropouts etc only occurs in the absence of a network connection, or more precisely, a network connection to the internet.

If I let the machine run for a few hours without an internet connection, then plug it into my router but this time configured as an independent access point (i.e. not bridged to my main ADSL router and hence no access to the internet) and look inside, I see a load of processes like the following:

7535 root 1240 S < /bin/sh -c /mod/sbin/rs_process >> /mod/tmp/rs.log 2
7536 root 2716 S < {rs_process} /mod/bin/jimsh /mod/sbin/rs_process
... repeated some 20 times
4885 root 4008 S < /mod/bin/rs log Processing command ' '
4886 root 4008 S < /mod/bin/rs log !Unknown command ''
4890 root 4008 S < /mod/bin/rs ack Error: 6 - Couldn't resolve host nam
4897 root 4008 S < /mod/bin/rs cmd
... again repeated multiple times

So it looks like the remote scheduling code is not handling the absence of an internet connection very well, over time causing a large number of processes to be left hanging around. The build up of these processes could well be the cause of the dropouts some people are seeing with the custom firmware. Once I reinstated the internet connection, these processes disapppeared.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - that's useful. I'll have to look at why it isn't timing out quicker.

Very interesting, thanks. It offers an explanation for "variable user experience", and possibly something needs to be built into the code to switch modes between "connected" and "stand alone".

I took the plunge with the custom firmware on Friday just putting on custom firmware, then full web interface then remote scheduling.

Shortly after I faced problems watching HD recording of Sherlock Holmes - stuttering of picture and sound. When replaying the same section it played fine. At the time two HD recordings were in progress.

Then went to watch one of the HD recordings, time slipping by half an hour. This time it seemed to be a mixture of stuttering not on the recorded file and the more blocky breakups associated with poor signal (never had a signal issue before). Then the playback went green and stopping and replaying didn’t help, TV to another source was fine and HDMI cable was properly seated.

I also had no internet connectivity at this time (wound up the 10m cat5 cable).

That’s when I started my first ever Telnet session and removed the custom firmware. All seems fine now - 'green' recording plays in colour without stuttering but with blocky breakups.

I would like to go back to the custom firmware (mainly to spot clashes) so was pleased to hear of a potential specific bug linked to internet connection.

I've noticed that yeah, its the playback not the recording.

If it stutters or goes black, i rewind and it plays fine.

Strange.

Back