possible work around for no sound issue?

codifies

I was having a terrible issue with loosing sound when I switched my TV to another HDMI source and back...

Sometimes even going to standby wouldn't work...

I turned power saving back on (I'm using a Y connector anyway) and I now (thankfully) can't reproduce the issue...

Hopefully this might help some poor unfortunate who's turned off power saving because they want pass through when on standby...

I think this probably a HDMI handshaking issue and could be fixable ?

I've had it happen with power saving on. It just happens less often. Doing what you suggest works best when it is switched off between uses which I suspect not everyone does.

Sigh - sorry yeah its just happened - basically its unfit for purpose and as such its going back - a great shame as the freesat is one of the best devices I've had and the UI is really great... Real shame...

I bought the product because of how good the humax freesat is... If you can use Google you can find a post that names nearly a dozen TV's that have the same issue with this box....

We are aware of the problems with HDMI, but it is not possible to pin the blame on either end without a detailed analysis of the signals between them - and even then it might not be possible to show that either contravenes the specification. What you have to remember is that HDMI is a specification designed by committee, and in some places open to interpretation. The only way to be sure it will work 100% (or know who to blame if it doesn't) is if both ends are supplied by the same manufacturer.

There is no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. A cheap HDMI switcher unit (preferably a self-powered matrix switch able to send any input to any of more than one output) has to renegotiate the HDMI handshake, and may well solve the problem.

I've seen on another forum a round up of threads that details people with nearly a dozen different models of TV across three or four manufacturers so presumably others devices work with this range of TV's

Given that other posters didn't have any luck with an active HDMI switch, I'm not risking the extra cost just on the off chance - and why should I!

I don't think it at all unreasonable to say this device is not fit for purpose.

Rather than put up with it, if people returned the faulty goods maybe humax might do something about it...

You've got the wrong end of the stick (although I accept that's how it looks from the consumer's point of view). It's HDMI that is not fit for purpose.

If the retailer you purchased from has a voluntary no-quibble guarantee, then by all means take it back. It would be very hard to argue the case with consumer law.

I am not trying to be a Humax apologist, I am perfectly capable of vilifying when vilification is appropriate, but in this case I have every sympathy with Humax and any other independent manufacturers: HDMI is not standard enough, and it may well not be possible to make equipment which is 100% compatible with every other piece of HDMI equipment on the market.

Just in case a quick fix which worked for me might also work for someone else with the same problem, here is part of a bug report I submitted to Humax support on 01/05/2014:

Dear Sir,

My HDR-2000T experiences HDMI related problems similar to those widely reported by other HDR-2000T users on Humax forums.

HDMI problem #1
---------------------

I have compared my 3 Humax machines and the following table diagnoses unambiguously that the HDR-2000T displays anomalous HDMI behaviour. The HDR-2000T frequently fails to initialise the HDMI audio signal properly when turned on from standby and as a result, the TV does not recognise the audio signal (see *No references below). Tests were repeated for each of the 3 machines using the same HDMI socket and lead connected to a Panasonic Viera TX-32LXD70 television. Both HDMI sockets of the Panasonic Viera TX-32LXD70 television were tested with similar results.

+----------------+-------------------+---------+--------+--------+
| Humax model | Firmware | Loader | Video* | Audio* |
| HD-Fox T2 | KZTFT 1.02.29 | L7.27 | Yes | Yes |
| HDR-Fox T2 | FHTCP 1.03.12 | a7.31 | Yes | Yes |
| HDR-2000T | UKTFAC 1.00.07 | 1.02 | Yes | No* |
+----------------+-------------------+--------+---------+--------+

*Video/*Audio = Yes/No: Indicates whether the relevant signal is recognised following switching on from standby

*No: Audio however can be restored using the TV controller by first re-selecting "TV" and then the HDR-2000T HDMI socket.

Humax's response was:

Thank you for contacting Humax Support.

The first two issues could be related to HDMI CEC options on the TV and this would need to be disabled if they are enabled. On Panasonic TV the feature is called VIERA Link, HDAVI Control or EZ-Sync.

The RF Loop through on the HDR 2000T is enabled when switched on and this was the orignal specification on the box. We have taken on customer feedback and we will be introducing RF Loop Through in standby via a software update in the near future.

My comment: The Humax advice about the HDMI audio problem proved to be a red herring since the VIERA Link option was already disabled.

Last edited:
Just in case a quick fix which worked for me might also work for someone else with the same problem, here is part of a bug report I submitted to Humax support on 01/05/2014:

Dear Sir,

My HDR-2000T experiences HDMI related problems similar to those widely reported by other HDR-2000T users on Humax forums.

HDMI problem #1
---------------------

I have compared my 3 Humax machines and the following table diagnoses unambiguously that the HDR-2000T displays anomalous HDMI behaviour. The HDR-2000T frequently fails to initialise the HDMI audio signal properly when turned on from standby and as a result, the TV does not recognise the audio signal (see *No references below). Tests were repeated for each of the 3 machines using the same HDMI socket and lead connected to a Panasonic Viera TX-32LXD70 television. Both HDMI sockets of the Panasonic Viera TX-32LXD70 television were tested with similar results.

| Humax model | Firmware | Loader | Video* | Audio* |
| HD-Fox T2 | KZTFT 1.02.29 | L7.27 | Yes | Yes |
| HDR-Fox T2 | FHTCP 1.03.12 | a7.31 | Yes | Yes |
| HDR-2000T | UKTFAC 1.00.07 | 1.02 | Yes | No* |
+----------------+-------------------+--------+---------+--------+

*Video/*Audio = Yes/No: Indicates whether the relevant signal is recognised following switching on from standby

*No: Audio however can be restored using the TV controller by first re-selecting "TV" and then the HDR-2000T HDMI socket.

Humax's response was:

Thank you for contacting Humax Support.

The first two issues could be related to HDMI CEC options on the TV and this would need to be disabled if they are enabled. On Panasonic TV the feature is called VIERA Link, HDAVI Control or EZ-Sync.

The RF Loop through on the HDR 2000T is enabled when switched on and this was the orignal specification on the box. We have taken on customer feedback and we will be introducing RF Loop Through in standby via a software update in the near future.

My comment: The Humax advice about the HDMI audio problem proved to be a red herring since the VIERA Link option was already disabled.

The software fix for loop through in sby was released October last year

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hdr-2000t-new-software-10106

To grahamlthompson (Re: The software fix for loop through in sby was released October last year)

Yes I know it was, but how is it relevant to the HDMI sound issue?
The bit about RF loop through in the reply from Humax support referred to part 3 of my bug report.
I did not present parts 2 and 3 of my bug report in this thread since they seemed irrelevant to the sound problem (part 2 reported a separate HDMI issue).

Last edited:
To grahamlthompson (Re: The software fix for loop through in sby was released October last year)

Yes I know it was, but how is it relevant to the HDMI sound issue?
The bit about RF loop through in the reply from Humax support referred to part 3 of my bug report.
I did not present parts 2 and 3 of my bug report in this thread since they seemed irrelevant to the sound problem (part 2 reported a separate HDMI issue).

Why did you simply remove the comment, it could have easily confused anyone that did not know the loop through was fixed ?

My mistake. Clearly I should have edited out the entire RF Loop paragraph from Humax's response (which was valid back in 2014) in order to eliminate any possibility of confusion and digression from the main topic.

Last edited:
Any update to this - I have a DTR-T2000 and a HDR-1800T both have worked flawlessly with a 7 year old Sony TV (which has subsequently died) I'm temporarily using a Samsung TV and find there is no sound from the TV if the HDR-1800T is switched on before the TV. (It's not exhibited this problem with the T2000). I also read on John Lewis review pages that one person reports he has sound problems with his T2000 when either connected to a Sony TV or a Samsung TV. As I'm in the market for a new TV, I am now concerned that I may end up having to replace the PVR too...

As an adjunct to this, I wonder if I've not experienced any sound issues with the T2000 simply because its connected via a home cinema kit rather than directly to the TV...

Last edited:
I believe this issue HAS BEEN SOLVED and it looks like it has been solved for both the models I've seen mentioned .. 1800T & 2000T
I suffered with this issue for a long time with an 1800T and was about to throw the box away, I checked on the Humax web site to see if there was any update before wrapping the device in a bin bag and lo and behold... there's a software update on the Humax site.

The release note on the website says;

Release Notes:
-. HDMI No Sound Issue is fixed.

So, I downloaded the update onto a USB stick as instructed and followed the update instructions to apply it to the box, which worked first time. I have been running with it for a week now with no problems at all, it appears to be completely stable. We used to lose the sound regularly, a couple of times a day when switching between a Google Chromecast device and back to the Humax, or sometimes after standby - no sound, but now it works perfectly.

For some reason, this forum won't let me post a link to the download, but if you type this into Google "humax software update" and follow the first result presented, it should get you close.
Best of luck from a very happy Humax user.

I believe this issue HAS BEEN SOLVED
Yes, it has been.
Since it was announced in various places (including hummy.tv in February) I haven't seen a single post anywhere saying that it does not work.

Just having the HDR-2000T/1800T connected to a router and using the HD-2000T/1800T as normal should now also update it. Unfortunalty it never made it to OTA before the DTG ceased the option for updating via your aerial.

there's a software update on the Humax site.

The release note on the website says;

Release Notes:
-. HDMI No Sound Issue is fixed.

So, I downloaded the update onto a USB stick as instructed and followed the update instructions to apply it to the box, which worked first time. I have been running with it for a week now with no problems at all, it appears to be completely stable.
Link to the download for the HDR-2000T is as follows:
https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?product_id=794&curr_page=sw_release

Link to the download for the HDR-1800T is as follows:
https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?product_id=1185&curr_page=sw_release

The instructions on the Humax site are slightly incorrect. The downloads are not zipped and therefore the instruction "and extract the ZIP file" should be ignored.

(This link is posted this as there is a fresh link on another site pointing to this discussion. The two softwares are identical but both are posted if anyone is nervous about using the "wrong" one.)

Last edited:
I've just bought a HDR-1800T and am having similar problems with sound to those described above. Eg no sound when switching from playback to live TV mode. I tried doing the software update via a (correctly-formatted) USB and it just didn't work as the instructions described. My recorder isn't connected to the internet so I can't get a software update that way. Massively frustrated! can anyone advise? (I'm waiting to hear from Humax customer services.)

Back