Post crash and installation wizard

Good catch! (if it's right that is)
I think this is why I've been having longstanding issues with the schedule not being restored automatically after various retune/reset events.
If I went back to prev schedule backups they were populated as expected. No idea if this could/should be changed i.e. make it restore the last populated backup ...
Mine would not restore the channels via tunefix or the schedule after 3 restarts.

Is there anyone who understands how these "auto" programs should work properly?

I did get a message saying the schedule has been restored on the webif after the crash. It lied, probably because these problems you talk about. I thought this auto schedule restore was made for this crash wizard situation.

I believe that, when the system could be updated over-the-air (when I was a PVR-8000 user), the recording schedule would be erased, and that was the target of auto-schedule-restore.

With a wizard retune, it just unhelpfully makes a blank backup, erasing the one it should have restored later; then when you next reboot it sees an empty schedule and reboots to restore that backup.

The package needs to be updated with the fixed script in the link.

Do you know why tunefix does not seem to restore my previously tuned channels after 3 restarts? After the wizard I autotuned just a few channels as BH suggested.

There's a known problem where _auto_schedule_restore would overwrite the saved backup with a blank one after a reset/retune.
That's not quite true. It creates a new backup which is empty. The auto restore uses the most recent backup. So ...

Do you know why tunefix does not seem to restore my previously tuned channels after 3 restarts? After the wizard I autotuned just a few channels as BH suggested.
It keeps trying to restore a blank, as above. Once it happens it's basically in a loop and won't come out until you get a backup file with something in it.
I've had it happen a few times.

The solution is to do a manual restore. Go into the backups and examine each one going back from the most recent until you find 'the' one with the stuff you need in it ... A sort of last known good as Windows used to say. Restore that.
Once that schedule, etc, is working again I usually do another reboot so the system saves that as the latest file in the list. That's just in case of an uncontrolled shutdown before the next normal one which could leave the blank file still as the latest, and you are back in the loop again.

It creates a new backup which is empty.

... overwriting the last good backup created by auto-schedule-restore.

Clearly, this is not a tunefix thing, though. I suspect that restoring channels from a schedule backup may require all the relevant muxes to have been found, though not necessarily all the channels. We investigated ways of cutting out the wizard (since with boot-settings and the schedule/channel backup, the required information ought to be available) but I don't think any successful solution was found. However, don't ignore the configuration backup/restore to USB from the hidden system menu.

... overwriting the last good backup created by auto-schedule-restore.
No. It adds a new one at the bottom of the list. The list is limited (to about 14 autos IIRC), so the oldest will get deleted, but you should still have plenty of recent ones to choose from.

No. It adds a new one at the bottom of the list. The list is limited (to about 14 autos IIRC), so the oldest will get deleted, but you should still have plenty of recent ones to choose from.
The backups listed in the WebIf backup tab (which are also made automatically, as you say) and stored in /mod/var/backup/ are separate from the one true auto-schedule-restore backup, which is /mod/boot/schedule.ab.

The auto-schedule-restore backup is created soon after the system starts up, by the script for which I posted an update in the the package thread linked above.

The backups listed in the WebIf backup tab (which are also made automatically, as you say) and stored in /mod/var/backup/ are separate from the one true auto-schedule-restore backup, which is /mod/boot/schedule.ab.
Arrrgh. How m...
No, on second thoughts I think I don't want know. :eek:

Back