Post crash and installation wizard

All except... this PC, which has a submask of "255.0.0.0", which, I presume is wrong to have?

Should I change it to "255.255.255.0"?
Absolutely.

That's the problem with not "just" defaulting to DHCP everywhere: having to be careful... everywhere. DHCP sets the netmask too, which is why I recommend starting with DHCP and then only changing what has to be changed when going to manual.

AAMOI interest what are you paying per month?

I've been swapping between BT and PN every time my contract ends to make use of new customer deals. Before you ask, you do keep the same number.

I'm currently with PN's 40/10 fibre BB and the cost per month over the 18 month contract comes out at £17.94 with 12 months' Line Rental Saver and a £70 cashback. No calling plan is included in that.
I am currently on the standard PlusNet Unlimited Broadband.

I have been paying £7 per month for the past two years.

Before that, I was paying £6 per month.

Like you, I take advantage of the Line Rental Saver.

I own a domain name in the format of surname.tld which is hosted on PlusNet's nameservers.

This allow me to have a short email address of firstname@surname.tld, which is nice.

Which is another reason why I am reluctant to move away.

Absolutely.

That's the problem with not "just" defaulting to DHCP everywhere: having to be careful... everywhere. DHCP sets the netmask too, which is why I recommend starting with DHCP and then only changing what has to be changed when going to manual.
OK, I have changed that submask.

Thank you.

For information: it's unlikely, but had your PC wanted to access an IP address 10.x.x.x outside your network, that incorrect netmask would have made it look inside your network.

I am currently on the standard PlusNet Unlimited Broadband.
Ah, that's ADSL. My figure per month was for fibre broadband. Out here on the edge of Guildford on the end of 6.5km of copper ADSL drops to <512kbps.
I have been paying £7 per month for the past two years.
Before that, I was paying £6 per month.
But that doesn't include line rental, surely. The figure I gave for my overall per-month cost over the 18 month contract does.
I own a domain name in the format of surname.tld which is hosted on PlusNet's nameservers...
I too have domains registered, some dating from 1999, used for email. Currently they're hosted by ICUK for free as part of my CIX conferencing account. Before that they were hosted elsewhere as part of the domain registration fee with mail being directed to wherever I wanted.

OP's original question was about retuning! To which I believe the answer has always been: do the automatic retune, restore your automatically saved schedule, favourites and (now working) favourite group names using WebIf>Scheduled Events>Backup and Restore (IIRC); use tunefix if you want to corral the channels in particular ways.

Then L.t.K raised the question of automatically restoring static network settings. In post #36 I provided a plausible solution to forcing manual addresses on eth0, so long as the original static address settings have not been erased.
Yep. My bad. Fully hold my hand up for referring LtK the OP

Ah, that's ADSL. My figure per month was for fibre broadband. Out here on the edge of Guildford on the end of 6.5km of copper ADSL drops to <512kbps.
I am lucky enough to live less than 0.5km from a major exchange.
But that doesn't include line rental, surely. The figure I gave for my overall per-month cost over the 18 month contract does.
You missed this line:-
"Like you, I take advantage of the Line Rental Saver."

You missed this line:-
"Like you, I take advantage of the Line Rental Saver."
So I take it you've not included line rental in your per month figure?

If I do the same my PN figures for an 18 month contract are:
Unlimited 40/10Mbps fibre broadband £4.51 x18 = £81.18.
Less £70 cashback = £11.18
That's 62p a month for 18 months

I gave up chasing the prices because the aggravation was so high. Zen isn't the cheapest but when things go wrong they are so easy to deal with - it is Zen like.
(Unfortunately is still sometimes comes down to them getting Openreach to extract their digit, but they do seem pretty good at that too.)

I gave up chasing the prices because the aggravation was so high. Zen isn't the cheapest but when things go wrong they are so easy to deal with - it is Zen like.
(Unfortunately is still sometimes comes down to them getting Openreach to extract their digit, but they do seem pretty good at that too.)
Some ISP's hope you will be so deep in your meditative trance that you wont notice the huge price hike when your contract period ends

Some ISP's hope you will be so deep in your meditative trance that you wont notice the huge price hike when your contract period ends
I'm well aware the broadband will jump to £18/month or thereabouts after the contract ends. So then it'll probably be back to BT.

I gave up chasing the prices because the aggravation was so high.
Not had any problems switching. When I first got FTTC via BT I got a suspect port or whatever on the kit in the cabinet, since then it's been fine. First switch from from BT to PN the BB changeover didn't happen automatically and needed a call to support which got it going in minutes.

For information: it's unlikely, but had your PC wanted to access an IP address 10.x.x.x outside your network, that incorrect netmask would have made it look inside your network.
Question.

When I use the WiFi Analyser app on my tablet, I can see I am surrounded by BT networks, including BT FON which, as we now know, uses 10.x.x.x.

Can this impact on my home WiFi network, which uses 10.0.0.x?

I am not talking about WiFi speeds, or WiFi channels, but about the IP address issue I have quoted above.

Are you actively linked to another network via WiFi? If not, no problem.

If you are actively linked, it gets complicated.

It's exactly the same when there are a lot of 'normal' WiFi access points around (there will be more of them than FON) using the more usual 192.168.x.x.
WiFi channel clashes will affect stuff but not IP addresses.

My price actually got dropped a year or two ago.

Not had any problems switching.
It wasn't just the switching (though that was dire) but whenever there was a hiccup in service needing help it was dealing with telephone queues, some Mumbaian with a fixed script with no technical knowledge and people who never called back.
So far with Zen the phone is answered promptly by people who (seem) to actually know more than I do, and if a call back is needed, they do.

So far with Zen the phone is answered promptly by people who (seem) to actually know more than I do, and if a call back is needed, they do.
I felt the same about O2 years ago, but since then they've been taken over by Telefonica...

Back