Post crash and installation wizard

Well yes, that's where its static address comes from.

You have to have DHCP enabled on the router and selected on the device - there's no way AFAIAA the router can force a device set to a static address to another one.

As for the button there's a 'Save' button top right.

Tip: Before changing any router settings make sure you save them with a meaningful name.
There is no button, Save or otherwise.

Regarding your tip, are you talking about a backup?

If so, yes, I have saved my router Config settings.

It's a Technicolor TG582n from PlusNet.
You have "the Worst ADSL Modem ever", though I have my doubts as it's a crowded field.

However the victim of this device who wrote the linked blog has provided the guidance needed to create fixed DHCP addresses for specific devices. Apparently this can't be done by logging into the web interface as an Administrator, though with experience of other Technicolor/Thomson devices I wonder if the Administrator can enable or become a SuperAdmin who can do so. More documentation is here. It might be possible to install a different web GUI or completely different firmware on the box, but really a BT Hub 5/6 is a more worthwhile target.

When the Technicolor/Thomson web interface does allow setting pseudo-static IP addresses with DHCP, you click on the relevant device in the Home Network page, select "Configure" at the top right, check the "Always use the same address" property in the resulting display, and "Apply".

It's a Technicolor TG582n from PlusNet.
Good grief - how long have you been with PN? The current PN modem/router is a BT Home Hub 5 in a white and pink case.

I've been swapping between BT and PN every 12 or 18 months to take advantage of their new customer only offers. Currently I'm with PN but I'm using the leftover BT Smart Hub to connect. It just needed a couple of changes in config and yes, it does get firmware updates, the last being back in April this year.

but really a BT Hub 5/6 is a more worthwhile target.
I was looking on eBay to see what BT HH5s go for and saw that the BT Smart Hubs are now going for >£10 delivered according to a sold listings search, and around a fiver if you're lucky.

Getting it to work with PN is a simple change of user name and password under Home > Advanced Settings > Broadband

Why not try the easy (cheap) way first and just ask PlusNet to supply a new one for free and go from there?
Or maybe LTK is happy with what he has got even if it is "the worlds worst router".

There is no button, Save or otherwise.
From the menu tree you gave in a previous reply it looked like you were using a BT Smart Hub.

Regarding your tip, are you talking about a backup? If so, yes, I have saved my router Config settings.
That's correct.

Aside: I had to get a neighbour out of a hole when their PC died a few months back. Turned out they'd set their router password to some random set of characters, saved it to somewhere that didn't get backed up and not set up password recovery on the router. Fortunately it was the mobo that had died, not the HDD, so a new mobo got it back running as before.

Why not try the easy (cheap) way first and just ask PlusNet to supply a new one for free and go from there?
Or maybe LTK is happy with what he has got even if it is "the worlds worst router".
That's the obvious route but they might find themselves locked to PN for another year, and the Smart Hub is one generation on from the BT HH5/PN Hub One.

I was looking on eBay to see what BT HH5s go for and saw that the BT Smart Hubs are now going for >£10 delivered according to a sold listings search, and around a fiver if you're lucky.

Getting it to work with PN is a simple change of user name and password under Home > Advanced Settings > Broadband
Especially since PN actually supplies the same devices in different colours. But a more valuable eBay item would be one that has been upgraded to OpenWRT.

Anyone who wants to pick up a BT HH5/6 (unmodified), even HH4 if I have any, from SW London is welcome to PM me.

Last edited:
Good grief - how long have you been with PN? The current PN modem/router is a BT Home Hub 5 in a white and pink case.
18 years.
... BT Smart Hubs ...
As previously stated, I wish to continue to use the 10.0.0.x IP address range for my network.

Apparently, BT uses this range for FON.

So a BT Home Hub is not suitable for me.

As a complete aside, and in no way trying to influence your choice of router/IP range, but I wonder if you would 'share with us' your reason for being so insistent that your network range should be 10.x.x.x? Or is this just so that you don't have to change a bunch of static addresses?

I used to use the 10.10.10.x range so that my address range was less likely to clash when VPN'ing in from outside of it. I'm 18 years with Plusnet as well, and last year upgraded to fibre, getting a PN Hub One (AKA BT HH5) in the process. I was disappointed to see that the 10.x.x.x range was not supported on it, so moved back into a 192.168.x.x range. Subsequent to that, the Hub One developed a fault with the 5GHz wifi which was a generic fault experienced by many on the Plusnet forums. Plusnet were taking ages to fix it (and may have done by now), but I lost patience and went and bought a TP-Link Archer VR900 anyway, which is superior in all respects.

What does WRT stand for?
I'm not sure what WRT actually stands for, but OpenWRT is an open-source firmware project for routers. I'm quite keen on that idea, but I need to acquire a WRT-compatible router first.

If you are interested in upgrading your router beyond what your ISP offers with your contract, I recommend looking for one the OpenWRT project supports (even if you don't install it at the moment).

Either way, for the sort of thing you want to do, I am quite sure you would be better off with your own router than a cobbled ISP router. When I ditched my BT router, I also ditched its insistence on allowing freeloaders onto my limited bandwidth!

As a complete aside, and in no way trying to influence your choice of router/IP range, but I wonder if you would 'share with us' your reason for being so insistent that your network range should be 10.x.x.x? Or is this just so that you don't have to change a bunch of static addresses?
1. I have been using the 10.0.0.x for 18 years so muscle memory is strong.
2. It's 3 characters shorter than the 192.168. 1.1 one.
3. The "1", "0" and "." keys are next to each other on my keyboard's numeric keypad.
4. It's shorter (and the characters are grouped together), so on 'awkward' GUIs where I have to navigate an onscreen keyboard using arrow keys (Smart TV, Raspberry Pi etc) it's a lot less grief.
5. I'd have to change about a dozen devices' IP addresses.

And what is his subnet mask and why?
You'll be shocked to learn, I don't understand the concept of a submask.

Back