[poweron-channel] Always start up with the same channel.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
This is a new package which I've been running for a while on my box to make sure that it always comes up on a children's channel no matter what we were last watching. I've finally got around to knocking up the web interface side of it and packaging it up!

It might be of use to some people.

Just uploaded version 0.0.2 which also allows you to set a default power on volume. I like to keep my Humax volume at 20 but other people in the household are susceptible to remote control confusion so it's nice for it to always come up at 20 regardless of what the last person did.

The two settings are independent - you can have it change volume or channel or both (or neither) on each boot.

This sounds pretty handy, doesn't seem to be working on my HD though, getting a 404 error in settings?

Strange. It would be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the package to see if it helps.

What's the URL you're seeing in the browser when you get the 404?
I'll try it on my HD later to check it works there.

That's the right URL.. could you try running the poc diagnostic? Either telnet in and type 'diag poc' or use the diagnostic page in the webif. It isn't showing the diagnostic output very cleanly currently but it should still show if anything's wrong.

over telnet:

humax# diag poc
Running: poc
-rwx------ 1 root root 347 Feb 5 20:01 save.jim
-rw------- 1 root root 311 Feb 3 19:50 settings.hook
-rwx------ 1 root root 1858 Feb 5 19:58 settings.jim
-rw------- 1 root root 642 Feb 5 20:01 settings.js
-rw------- 1 root root 642 Feb 5 20:01 /mod/var/mongoose/plugin/poc/settings.js
-rw------- 1 root root 311 Feb 3 19:50 /mod/var/mongoose/plugin/poc/settings.hook
-rwx------ 1 root root 1858 Feb 5 19:58 /mod/var/mongoose/plugin/poc/settings.jim
-rwx------ 1 root root 347 Feb 5 20:01 /mod/var/mongoose/plugin/poc/save.jim

Everything looks right there.. Can you try running the settings script over telnet? It should just display lots of HTML to the screen:
Code:
humax# /mod/var/mongoose/plugin/poc/settings.jim

If that works, then it looks like the problem might be with your mongoose configuration, so check that it includes the /plugin path - here's mine (the /plugin path is defined at the end of the document_root line)

Code:
humax# cat /mod/etc/mongoose.conf
document_root /mod/var/mongoose/html,/media=/media,/cgi-bin=/mod/var/mongoose/cgi-bin,/images=/opt/share/images/blue,/plugin=/mod/var/mongoose/plugin
index_files index.shtml,index.html
ssi_extensions .shtml
cgi_extensions .cgi,jim
cgi_environment LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/mod/lib
listening_ports 80,443s
num_threads 10
error_log_file /tmp/mongoose_error.log
ssl_certificate /mod/etc/mongoose.cert

The settings script throws up a load of html (so is presumably fine).

My mongoose config is similar, but doesn't have
Code:
,/plugin=/mod/var/mongoose/plugin
on the end of the document_root, or
Code:
num_threads 10

That would explain it. If you can fix the file by hand and restart mongoose that would solve it, alternatively this should work:

Code:
humax# rm /mod/etc/mongoose.conf
humax# opkg install mongoose --force-reinstall
humax# service stop mongoose
humax# service start mongoose

I fixed the file manually and it looks like it's working. No idea how it ended up like that though!?

Thanks very much for the help and all your hard work.

Hi Af.. I use this and think its a nice touch.

Any way it can be applied to radio as well? As it defaults to noisy Radio 1 and id rather it defaulted to BBC6 every time i switch to radio.

I understand this might be tricky as the box boots to TV automatically but can it have a radio station ready at the same time?!

Hi Af.. I use this and think its a nice touch.

Any way it can be applied to radio as well? As it defaults to noisy Radio 1 and id rather it defaulted to BBC6 every time i switch to radio.

I understand this might be tricky as the box boots to TV automatically but can it have a radio station ready at the same time?!

That would be nice, i like channel 718 ...

Hey coming back to this again. What I actually wanted was an option for what Radio Station it defaults to when i change between TV/Radio. I still want the box to default to channel 71 at power-on but hen i switch to radio it defaults to a secondary choice (6 music)

Hi, this is a great package, and works well, but I have a feature request......

I always use the "favorite 1" tv listings group, and one thing that often irritates me about the Humax is that it's very easy to accidentally default back to the normal "TV" listing group, e.g. by inputting the wrong channel by mistake (one that's not in the favorite list), or children messing!! I find myself needing to re-select the favorite list quite often, and wondered if it would be possible for this package to set the desired favorite list on boot up?

Apologies if this feature is already dealt with by another package - if so, let me know which one.

It could be added easily enough. Re-defaulting to the normal group used to be a big problem on older firmwares but Humax seem to have sorted it out recently. I hadn't considered the other ways in which the favourites group could be lost.

Look out for an update in the next few days to add this.

Back