Problem connecting to new tv

Pterodactyl

Hi, hope someone can help please.
Just bought a new Panasonic TV & have connected my Humax box by HDMI (as per setup with previous TV).
When switching on the Humax logo appears, followed by approx 2 seconds of the channel the box is set to, following which the screen goes green. The TV displays the input as 1080i 50Hz.
Have tried changing the Resolution using the V-format button, but no effect. Have also unplugged both TV & off and switching on (in both orders) and have also tried using a different HDMI cable, all without success. I get the same result using the second HDMI socket on the tv. Also reconnected to previous TV & still works fine.
My software FHTCP is 1.03.12, loader version is a7.31.
Spoke to Panasonic support and as other devices all work perfectly, they say the problem is with the Humax. They say the input should be no more than 1080p, and needs to be at 8 bits and 60Hz.
If anyone has any suggestions for a fix or workaround, I'd be really grateful, don't want to have to buy a new PVR!

If the HDMI signal really does need to be 60Hz then you are in trouble as the HDR-FOX outputs 50Hz only. I find this hard to believe; most TVs in the UK accept 24Hz (blu-ray), 50Hz (UK and Europe standard) and 60Hz (US and Japan standard). I have heard of US TVs not accepting a 50Hz input, but not models intended for the UK market.

I'm not very tech-minded, but given what you say, it does seem unlikely that 60Hz is a must. I'm happy to try anything to fix the issue, so any suggestions are very welcome, even taking into account that the output can only be at 50Hz.
Thanks for your prompt response, I hope there's a solution out there.

Have you tested the HDR-FOX on another TV since this green screen issue? There is no certainty the 'FOX hasn't failed in the mean time. Once you prove that, then try swapping to different HDMI inputs on the TV. And prove the TV with another source of HDMI.

What we believe happens with HDMI problems is that HDCP gets in the way. If the 'FOX can't establish a secure communications with a display device that is certified as incapable of recording, it refuses to output. The problem is that the detail of the HDCP negotiation is open to interpretation, and if each end implements it to specification but with incompatible interpretations it might not work. The splash screen comes up, but that's all.

Glossary (click)

Thanks all.
No luck with Luke's second option, and have also tried Black Hole's ideas, but sadly no progress.
It looks like Luke's first suggestion might have to be the way to go, once I'm feeling brave enough, but hoping someone might think of an alternative, although can't think of anything else to try.

So from the above, are you confirming that the Humax works OK with a different TV, and that a different HDMI source works OK with your TV?

Possibly a long shot as I imagine the Hz wouldn't change, but maybe interfacing the link through a cheap switcher box from ebay (as for connecting more than one HDMI source to a single TV) could make a difference.

Thanks MikeSh. I've just tried your idea, but unfortunately same result: Humax logo...... picture.... green screen. Already had an HDMI switcher for use with my previous tv! Grateful for the suggestion though, happy to try anything.

Possibly a long shot as I imagine the Hz wouldn't change, but maybe interfacing the link through a cheap switcher box from ebay (as for connecting more than one HDMI source to a single TV) could make a difference.
Not quite right - what you need is a multiple-source multiple-output HDMI matrix switch. By necessity, these include HDCP handshake regeneration. A many-in, single-out simple switch doesn't need to.

Hi I have the same issue although not as serious as your also with a Panasonic tv, 2015 flagship and at every boot I get the green screen for around a second and then the picture comes, I have mine routed through my av receiver and have only had it around a month and it has always done this so just assumed it was normal as my old sat box did the same

Hi I have the same issue although not as serious as your also with a Panasonic tv, 2015 flagship and at every boot I get the green screen for around a second and then the picture comes, I have mine routed through my av receiver and have only had it around a month and it has always done this so just assumed it was normal as my old sat box did the same

I don't think this is an 'issue'. My hummy is connected directly to my Samsung TV by HDMI cable - no switches involved and it is the second TV it's been connected to. My normal usage is bring hummy out of standby and then start TV. The on-screen sequence has always been :-
'No HDMI source available' message, foolowed by
HUMAX bootloader screen, followed by
brief flash of the green screen
followed by normal operation.

I'm sure I read on here before that the green screen is most likely just the HDCP handshake occuring.

Last edited:
I see you did do. :D
And here's one of the examples that I mentioned on AVF.:)
So seems like there is a prob with T2s and Panas.

Surely not all Panasonic TVs otherwise there would be uproar !!

I’ve got a Pana TV and have a HDR-Fox T2 arriving in a couple of days to replace a DigitalStream :(

Back