Steve Shade

I am having known problems '* Deleting' message permanently and I want to use the Fix Disk Utility built into Custom Firmware 2.12.

I have followed the instruction, they are not complicated, but having problem with my HDR - Fox T2 seeing the Modified Firmware file "DR_FOX_T2_Upgrade.hdf" therefore no update is started when I start up the Fox T2. Note when I check storage devises nothing shows in USB.

The USB Flash is FAT32 the file has the name "DR_FOX_T2_Upgrade.hdf” and all the other directions have been followed to the letter.

I really only need to fix this problem and I know the other fix on reverting to “version 1.01.09” and reinstall your current version, (although the recommendation is to format the drive before reloading your current version).

All I want to do is fix this problem without losing my current recordings.

Can anyone help?

If you are going to install custom firmware you are best to install the latest version (3.03), or at least 3.00, as versions before 3.00 are no longer getting package updates. There are custom versions available for three diferent versions of the standard firmware (1.02.20, 1.02.32 and 1.03.12).
The reason the firmware installation is not working is because the 'hdf' file has to be named 'HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf' - you have missed the 'H' at the start.

I am having known problems '* Deleting' message permanently and I want to use the Fix Disk Utility built into Custom Firmware 2.12.

I have followed the instruction, they are not complicated, but having problem with my HDR - Fox T2 seeing the Modified Firmware file "DR_FOX_T2_Upgrade.hdf" therefore no update is started when I start up the Fox T2. Note when I check storage devises nothing shows in USB.

The USB Flash is FAT32 the file has the name "DR_FOX_T2_Upgrade.hdf” and all the other directions have been followed to the letter.

I really only need to fix this problem and I know the other fix on reverting to “version 1.01.09” and reinstall your current version, (although the recommendation is to format the drive before reloading your current version).

All I want to do is fix this problem without losing my current recordings.

Can anyone help?
Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

Sorry for the confusion but this was a typo the file is "HDR_FOX_T2_Upgrade.hdf” I must have copied and pasted missing out the “H”. Also my FOX T2 is software version “FHTCP 1.03.12” which I believe is the latest? I am using “HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.03.zip” and it unpacks to "HDR_FOX_T2_Upgrade.hdf” with a file size of 23,540 KB. Hope this helps to sort the confusion.

Thanks for advice so far.

But none has addressed the main problem my HUMAX can not see the custom firmware to load. Also the "continuous delete" problem is not actually deleting anything - it seems to be locked into a loop while trying to delete a bad disk sector. But unless I can solve the problem on downloading the custom firmware from my flash drive I am unable to do anything.

Has anyone reverted to an older firmware version and back to the current, without doing anything, that has fixed this problem?

Please read ALL the instructions and guidance about loading firmware. If you have a file on a USB pen drive (UPD) that is named hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf (as it will be, when you have extracted it from the zip file), and if the UPD is formatted FAT32, plugging the UPD into the HDR-FOX and rebooting will start the firmware update process (and you will see this on the TV screen). Rebooting means turning off the power with the switch on the back (and turning it back on again).

If it doesn't, and you have exhausted all the possibilities of error (such as the HDR-FOX firmware update process not recognising that particular UPD - pay attention to the notes about that), then the only conclusion is that your HDR-FOX is broken.

Even if the .hdf is corrupt, the installation process will still start up. If you are not seeing this happen, you won't even be able to install standard firmware.

That's a new one on me. The notes are not explicit: how does this load without CF already installed to load it? To do that it has to be a .hdf itself, and the OP appears to be having trouble getting the firmware update process to start at all.

If it's not a .hdf, then the CF needs to be loaded first, which requires getting the HDR-FOX to recognise a .hdf. There's a hole in my bucket...

Note when I check storage devises nothing shows in USB.
If this is still the case:

How is your stick formatted - use fat32 - 1 small partition is best when problems show up
Try another USB device - see if that shows up.
Try the rear USB socket too.

BH : You are correct, I had never used or examined this package, it actually re-enables Telnet, I have updated the WiKi notes HERE

Thanks for all your help so far but I believe the problem is very basic and that is my HUMAX HDR FOX T2 is not seeing the “Custom Firmware”.

I have tried with various USB Flash drives formatted to FAT32 and used both front and back USB slots. When I check the Media it shows the flash drive but no file. The file after I have unpacked is called "HDR_FOX_T2_Upgrade.hdf” with a file size of 23,540 KB. I assume this is correct extension and file size for unpacked firmware?

As I have explained before it seems not to recognise the file, is it looking for file type or extension? If it will not recognise the file it may not recognise any firmware files so I will not be able to revert back to an early version etc.

Also the “continuous delete" problem is not actually deleting anything as described in the common problems it just seems to be locked into a loop which stops me being able to delete any file or setup any recording – I can still playback recorded programs although if I stop during playback it will not remember where this is and need to start from beginning again.

Was hoping this would be an easy fix but I cannot even get started on what is a very simple process.

I have tried with various USB Flash drives formatted to FAT32 and used both front and back USB slots. When I check the Media it shows the flash drive but no file. The file after I have unpacked is called "HDR_FOX_T2_Upgrade.hdf” with a file size of 23,540 KB. I assume this is correct extension and file size for unpacked firmware?
Are you doing this on a Windows computer? What version of Windows is it running? Do you have Windows Explorer configured to show file extensions or hide them?

You can confirm the .hdf is not corrupt by taking its MD5 hash and comparing the signature with the one published on the wiki.

If you are unable to get the firmware update process to start, and currently do not have custom firmware installed, there are no interventions available to you (not even the official firmware will load).

Thanks for all your help I have now managed to install the Custom Firmware, it took multiple flash drives and using window explorer and not chrome but have no idea what the problem was.

Unfortunately this has not solved the problem and seems to have made it worse. I seem to have lost functions on my remote. The most important is access to Media where my problem is. Also I have no access to data storage in menu settings.

I was hoping to be able to solve this via just installing the Custom Firmware but cannot see a way to access the fix disk utility is it not available via a menu option as I am trying to do this without using telnet as I have not setup vi any network access to my FOX T2.

I was hoping to be able to solve this via just installing the Custom Firmware but cannot see a way to access the fix disk utility is it not available via a menu option as I am trying to do this without using telnet as I have not setup vi any network access to my FOX T2.
You HAVE to use telnet to access fix-disk. If it makes things more convenient you can temporarily move the Humax near to a router to make a network connection or near to a computer and connect the computer and Humax directly (but this will require you to assign compatible IP addresses).

Back