|   |   |   | X |   |   |
  |———|———|———|———|———|———|
  |   |   | O |   |   |   |
  |   | X |   |   |   |   |
  | X |   |   |   |   |   |
   ———————————————————————

Sure, but about as hard as they get. I counted four applications of "advanced" logic, but by doing that analysis I slow myself down.

Took me longer than normal. Nearly got stuck half way through. Not sure what you mean by advanced logic. If it is of the form “if I put an X there that’ll mean three 0 in a row, therefore it’s a 0”, I can only remember doing that twice. Difficult, but not that difficult.

Another, apparently as hard as they come (and, with typical perverseness, only rated 2 stars when easy ones get 3):
Code:
   ———————————————————————
  |   |   |   |   |   | O |
  | X |   |   |   | X |   |
  |   |   |   | O |   |   |
  |   | O | O |   |   |   |
  |   |   |   |   |   | O |
  |   |   | O |   | X |   |
   ———————————————————————

I’m a bit out of condition with these, usually only doing the Saturday one. I did find this the hardest one I’ve done in a while. Worth more than three stars. Two, they’re taking the p.

It's the three star which take the pee (Saturday is always one of those!). I really don't get it – as I said above, the star system is perverse.

Just for the record (for the bystanders): the stars are "difficulty rating" not "easiness rating"!

I timed myself on today's "3 star": 21" (this isn't a race, it's a comment on the star rating system).

AFE601B3-9E8C-4AB9-855C-97287B2C164F.jpeg

That was very easy. (39”, but who’s counting). Hard to compare with ones you've transcribed as I have to write them out first - and maybe working them out as I do so. Today’s was from the paper itself. The difficulty rating is just made up!

fairly easy
Really? So far as I can see, solution relies on getting the bottom left corner, which itself relies on getting the bottom right corner. 3 star in my book (2 star being one inference, 1 star requiring no inference at all).

Seems unworthy of 3 to me.
B2, C3, D3 are trivial, F6 leads to A6 and then fill the rest in.

B2, C3, D3 are trivial, F6 leads to A6 and then fill the rest in.
Your logic agrees with mine; our rating just differs on where to set the threshold (one or two inferences). I don't recall seeing a Kurosu which requires more than three inferences, so making this one 2-star offers very little step up to 3-star (unlike the Mail's "difficulty" rating, which seems to assign 3 stars when the grid can be solved by inspection with no inferences at all).

Back