Puzzle Corner

Allow me to introduce the Futoshiki, much more difficult than the Kurosu (I find them so, anyway). I haven't cracked this one yet...

1648324479751.png

Been doing those for a while. Then they stopped doing them. Then brought them back again.
Will have a go later...

Allow me to introduce the Futoshiki,
I wish you hadn’t!
I vaguely remember trying one of these in the Saturday Mail a while back and not succeeding. Guess what? I made a bodge of this one. Might have to write it out again and have another go. (Along with Train Tracks - I’ve cocked that one up as well!)

I got there in the end, but it took me ages to spot the logic to avoid trial-and-error. I doubt I can remember what route I took.

Do you guys want me to post these up when I come across them? Some are a little bit easier than that one.

Do you guys want me to post these up when I come across them? Some are a little bit easier than that one.
Feel free to do that if you want to. I usually only get a Mail on Saturday and any other day I go to a supermarket that sells papers ( not the local Aldi -bgr!) I need a challenge!

Here ya' go:

1648884404254.png

Nothing interesting in the Kurosus lately, a run of fairly simple 2 stars and then very easy 3 stars the last three days in a row.

I have been scribbling numbers next to the boxes and crossing them out as I go. In the latest one starting on column A and working out where 1 can’t be. By the same logic where 2 can’t be. Then it started to get difficult. After a while I resorted to trial and error. The error usually being two 1s or 2s in the same row. Doh!

I hadn’t forgotten. Really sruggled with this one. Trial and error again. This time first trial succeeded. Relieved to find same answers as prpr. :)

You shouldn't need trial and error though. Work out which ones can't be 1, which can't be 5 (and other other impossibilities given any starter numbers) and what could go elsewhere. Generally you will find pairs or triples (as in Sudoku) which reduces the choices possible in the other squares in that row or column. Repeat until you can only put one number in a square. Then iterate.

That’s what i try to do. I got top left easily and then a couple of others. Some i can say must be 5 or 4, > 4 or 3, > 3 or 2 ... or in the case of the rh column two places that could be 1 or 2. By the time i’ve worked all those out i get stuck. I then end up taking a punt at whether it is 1 or 2. Fortunately on today’s puzzle i made the right choice and everything fell into place. But I couldn’t logically make the choice - it was a guess. More practice required!

Back