Puzzle Corner

Really? So far as I can see, solution relies on getting the bottom left corner, which itself relies on getting the bottom right corner. 3 star in my book (2 star being one inference, 1 star requiring no inference at all).
Oops!
I’ve just looked at it and I’ve made a complete hash of it. Can’t be sure whether that was transcribing it or just cocking it up. I’ll have another go. :oops:

Even though I messed up the first attempt - it still seems fairly easy to me. Perhaps that’s because I don’t see what you call an inference as something special.

Perhaps that’s because I don’t see what you call an inference as something special.
But that's the only difficulty there is with a Kurosu, otherwise it's just noughts and crosses. By "inference", I mean "that square can't be an X, because if it was it would force there to be three Os in a row elsewhere, therefore it must be an O". I find some inference targets are easier to spot than others.

I can't decide how to rate today's. It only requires one inference, but that only holds if you pick the right one. Pick the wrong one and it requires at least another inference to solve.

1646729532573.png

I can't decide how to rate today's. It only requires one inference, but that only holds if you pick the right one. Pick the wrong one and it requires at least another inference to solve.
Eh? I probably cocked up again. I found three “inferences”. As you were, I did it a second time, got the same result but in a different order. Two inferences that time. :D Seems to depend on which move you spot first.

A2, A4, C2 and D1 are the options. A2 and A4 are dead ends forcing you to pick one of the other two thereafter.
D1 leads to needing B5, but, as BH says, C2 is the one to go for.

No "oners" today
Not sure what this means.
No single application of inference will solve it, no matter which you choose...
The way I did it seemed to require 3 “inferences”.
...but two would do it if you pick the right ones.

I bet everyone else found a simpler method.
You did it a simpler way than me, because I'm assessing all the routes to solution not just the first solution I come to.

Wow!

C9CF23D5-C162-4811-9E58-2E396AFF9936.jpeg

I haven't found a way to solve this requiring fewer than four inferences, this is the best so far (4 star?).

Ouch! That was hard, after the very easy start - took me at least seven inferences (maybe 8, I think I counted 2 on one line but only one on a similar line). I can’t be bothered to have another go to see if I can do it with four!
Definitely at least 4🌟 .

I think I mistakenly counted A5 twice. So I did A2 A5 E5 F6 and then I find I still need A3 as well, so five.

Only worth one star?
That seems to be the rule for the "difficulty rating ⭐⭐⭐" Kurosus in the Mail. I have written to the puzzle editor to complain (by snail mail to Derry Street because I couldn't find any other means of contact), but never received any kind of acknowledgement let alone response.

I believe somebody, somewhere, supplies syndicated puzzles to the likes of newspapers, and the newspapers themselves just publish what they receive, but if they at least told me who the supplier is I could take it up with them.

First World problem.

Back