Questions before buying

I'm thinking about getting the T1000 (or T1010 - doesn't seem to be any difference apart from looks?) but I've got some questions I hope someone can help with.

I've already got a HDR T2 and love it, but I really like the catchup stuff on youview.
I don't tend to use the custom firmware stuff on the HDR, although it is installed.

One thing I use all the time with the HDR is playing videos I've downloaded/ripped from from either USB or FTPing the files to the hard disk.
Would I be able to do that on the youview box?

Also I couldn't see a media button on the remote. How do you see what you've already recorded?

The T100x0 is very much a standalone device. Does not interface at all with anything else. Does not even support DLNA.

You get to Media and Timers and Everything Else by pressing the big blue (Youview) button.

Ah ok, i thought for a bit you had to get all your recordings via the guide which would have been horrible!
Just been watching some videos on youtube, they were saying when you search it only searches catchup programs, is there no search for programs in the future?

I'm thinking about getting the T1000 (or T1010 - doesn't seem to be any difference apart from looks?) but I've got some questions I hope someone can help with.

Take a look at THIS LIST of items not available on the DTRT-1000/1010 compared to the HDT Fox T2. This list was complied when the YouView box first came out, so may not be up to date, however most of the statements are still true today

WOW!
It looks like a great system and the potential is huge ...... however I can't believe they have took such a big step backwards in terms of usability and functionality.
A simple thing like searching for a program, which I use all the time - if I miss a program and want to see if it's repeated, or if I like a program and want to record the next one, is missing.
No manual scheduling? Why not, what reason could they have to remove that?
And no folders? My 500Gb T2 is pretty full and has stacks of folders.
A list of 1Tb worth of recordings is going to be horrendous.

It's a shame cos like I said it has stacks of potential. Will hold off I think to see if the updates address any of these issues.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Limited folder support was added in a recent software update. I don't think the other problems have been addressed yet though.

Apparently, folders are now available, I'm not sure about the other things though.

Edit: af123 beat me to it.:)

A simple thing like searching for a program, which I use all the time - if I miss a program and want to see if it's repeated, or if I like a program and want to record the next one, is missing.
If you had access to the internet you could search the Radio Times or other listings site.

WOW!
It looks like a great system and the potential is huge ...... however I can't believe they have took such a big step backwards in terms of usability and functionality.
No manual scheduling? Why not, what reason could they have to remove that?
And no folders? My 500Gb T2 is pretty full and has stacks of folders.
A list of 1Tb worth of recordings is going to be horrendous.

It's a shame cos like I said it has stacks of potential. Will hold off I think to see if the updates address any of these issues.

Thanks for your help everyone.

The fundamental premise of YouView is the ability to watch anything as catch-up, so clever recording options are seen as being of secondary importance. Also the user interface and much of the basic functionality is defined by YouView not Humax, so blame them.

Take a look at THIS LIST of items not available on the DTRT-1000/1010 compared to the HDT Fox T2. This list was complied when the YouView box first came out, so may not be up to date, however most of the statements are still true today
I got a Foxsat HDR and a T2, and I was considering YouView box, but if that list of stuff that it wont do is up to date (especially no skip adverts function!), I shall stick with what I got.

That list is way out of date missing out on two or three subsequent software updates. In particular, surround sound is now supported over both optical and HDMI and ad skipping has been introduced.

For definitive up to date lists of outstanding bugs and issues and missing features you need to look at Keith's posts over on the dedicated Youview forums.

That list is way out of date missing out on two or three subsequent software updates. In particular, surround sound is now supported over both optical and HDMI and ad skipping has been introduced.
I have made some edits to that post to reflect the current state. Can you (or other DTR-1000) users point out any errors. For balance I think we should also add a list of things the DTR-1000 can do that the HDR can't: more catch up services and remote scheduling are the ones that occur to me, what else?

I could but I don't see the point of maintaining more than one definitive list. A feature comparison list between the DTR-T1000 and the Fox T2 (and Foxsat HDR and Freetime) would be useful though.

Can anyone tell me whether I really need to have a TV to use this product? Is there any reason I could not buy a DTR 1010 and plug it into an HD monitor and control everything from the DTR remote? Why do I need a TV with a tuner when this box can act as the receiver?

Indeed not. Anything able to display video and output sound from an HDMI signal (or, at a push, SCART) will do. I'm not sure a monitor is a lot cheaper than a TV though, due to manufacturing volume.

Can anyone tell me whether I really need to have a TV to use this product? Is there any reason I could not buy a DTR 1010 and plug it into an HD monitor and control everything from the DTR remote? Why do I need a TV with a tuner when this box can act as the receiver?

It just comes down to size, not too many people have monitors bigger than 22 inch which is the starting point for most TVs, so if you only want a small display you could use a monitor. If however you want a 46 inch display then a monitor of this size (if it existed) would cost considerably more the a TV of the same size

Back