Questions from a noob

that explains why it worked, no I didn't reboot :( DOH!

Any way an observation if I may.
I think the wiki is excellent and well put together, there's an enormous wealth of information on there.
But it could do with simplification and clarification in some places.

Me, I'm a tech head and pretty good at stuff like this (though linux always has and probably always will baffle me), but I/we are in the minority, some people will be less understanding than the majority of users who might want to install CFW.
I propose a noobs guide and I dont mind helping or even writing it entirely. But I will of course need help from time to time with certain linux commands.

I dont mean any disrespect to the people who have probably put a LOT of work into the current wiki, for you and most people here it's great, just that some people (simpletons like me) may need a little more hand holding.

just that some people (simpletons like me) may need a little more hand holding.

That's what the Trail Guide is for, but I admit it doesn't have enough content yet.

some people will be less understanding than the majority of users who might want to install CFW.

This wasn't the case to start with, but at its present state of development only power users need to get their hands dirty with Telnet and the Linux command line. For everyone else, the Web Interface and package management is sufficient, and if things go wrong a complete reinstall sorts it. Just don't play on the bleeding edge.

that explains why it worked, no I didn't reboot :( DOH!

Any way an observation if I may.
I think the wiki is excellent and well put together, there's an enormous wealth of information on there.
But it could do with simplification and clarification in some places.

You could always place suggestions for changes in the WiKi Documentation thread HERE, It is difficult to get the balance right for all users but suggestions are welcome

Once the Enc flagged is removed, and the HD programme +Opt copied to the 'virtual drive', the next step is FTP'g in and copying the files across from the virtual drive (not the media drive). A 40min HD programme copies across in a few minutes for me.

Being a bit of an 'oldie', and having very little knowledge of, and had no experience of computer programming, what are the basic packages required to add to the customised firmware? The TV Portal is the one I wish to add at present. Does Webif have to be added, or does the original Humax EPG remain, and also do all the recordings remain? I have looked through the various forum but have not been able to find the answers.
Thanks

what are the basic packages required to add to the customised firmware .... Does Webif have to be added, or does the original Humax EPG remain, and also do all the recordings remain?

The web-if is needed to view EPG, schedule etc. on your P.C. The Humax will still display the same EPG to your T.V. and will remain the same as far as recordings goes, But The EPG that is sent to your T.V. as video can't be viewed from your P.C. so a duplicate one has been generated on the Web Interface, There are many packages available but very few are installed from default, the Web-if gives you a menu to pick from and they can be installed and removed at any time

Being a bit of an 'oldie', and having very little knowledge of, and had no experience of computer programming, what are the basic packages required to add to the customised firmware? The TV Portal is the one I wish to add at present. Does Webif have to be added, or does the original Humax EPG remain, and also do all the recordings remain? I have looked through the various forum but have not been able to find the answers.
Thanks
No computer programming required, just the ability to follow instructions and perform a USB firmware update, then click a few links in a web page or two.

Before you go ahead, perhaps we should check what you expect to get out of the customised TV portal? BBC iPlayer, YouTube, stuff like that is already available on the uncustomised portal. There is a prototype Sky player which seems to cope with the live Sky services (provided you have a log-in) but not the catch-up services - but it is very much a beta package and highly dependent on nothing being altered at the Sky end (we have no control over that).

If you do want to go ahead (assuming you have an HDR-FOX not an HD-FOX*), all you need to do is download the custom firmware and apply it as a USB update, then access the web page and download the software, then select the Custom TV Portal from the list of available packages - it will be installed and configured for you. Simple as that (as it is with all the packages that are beyond early development). Detailed instructions have already been referenced.

* The procedure for an HD-FOX starts with installing and formatting a USB hard drive, and although it can be done with a USB stick it's tricky.

No computer programming required, just the ability to follow instructions and perform a USB firmware update, then click a few links in a web page or two.

Before you go ahead, perhaps we should check what you expect to get out of the customised TV portal? BBC iPlayer, YouTube, stuff like that is already available on the uncustomised portal. There is a prototype Sky player which seems to cope with the live Sky services (provided you have a log-in) but not the catch-up services - but it is very much a beta package and highly dependent on nothing being altered at the Sky end (we have no control over that).

If you do want to go ahead (assuming you have an HDR-FOX not an HD-FOX), all you need to do is download the custom firmware and apply it as a USB update, then access the web page and download the software, then select the Custom TV Portal from the list of available packages - it will be installed and configured for you. Simple as that (as it is with all the packages that are beyond early development). Detailed instructions have already been referenced.

Thanks to both Ezra and yourself for the info. It was the Sky Player I was thinking of, so I will have a go and install the custom firmware. Thanks

Back