Re-ordering forum sections

prpr

Carried forward from the XF2.0 beta testing, I would suggest the following for the "Humax Products" section of the main page:

HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware
HDR-FOX T2 Freeview Recorder
HD-FOX T2 Freeview Receiver
FOXSAT-HDR Freesat Recorder
FOXSAT-HD Freesat Receiver
FVP-4000T/5000T Freeview Play HD Recorders
HDR-1800T/HDR-2000T Freeview Recorders
PVR-9300 Freeview Recorder
PVR-9200 Freeview Recorder
PVR-9150 Freeview Recorder
DTR-T1000/1010/2000/2100/2110/4000 (YouView) PVRs
HDR-1000S/1010S/1100S <freetime> Freesat Recorders
HB-1000S/HB-1100S <freetime> Freesat Receivers
Other Humax Products

The reasoning (based on how I perceive things) is that Customised is the main focus of this board (along with their associated non-customised siblings), with Freeview coming above Youview, and then Satellite which has never been a priority (as it's been supported elsewhere). Then the ages of the relevant boxes. That leads to the sort order given.

Last edited:
As long as we still have a New Posts button I am not fussed what order the sub-fora are in.
The New button is much improved in XF2 with the ability to filter by 'Watched' so that I only see posts from the sub fora that I follow

I suggested earlier to order by machine age with current machines first but I really don't care since I rarely visit that page

As the T2 with CF attracts most of the posts on forum, seems sensible to put it at the top of the list. But as I pretty much only use the 'New posts' button (well a browser shortcut to there actually) it doesn't really affect me.

There are so many ways to order a given list, all perfectly logical.
I don't use the new posts feature but look at the forum headings to see what's new. This because from the np list it's too easy to jump into a forum section without really noticing what you are jumping into.

This proposed order looks OK though as an owner of a box near the bottom it's not ideal for me. I'm perhaps more inclined to go with post #8 or #5.
It depends a bit on how the future of the forum is perceived by the owners. Weighting it to the cfw roots it in the past somewhat due to the obsolete hardware involved.

There are so many ways to order a given list, all perfectly logical
...and equally arbitrary.

I don't use the new posts feature but look at the forum headings to see what's new. This because from the np list it's too easy to jump into a forum section without really noticing what you are jumping into.
Ditto.

It depends a bit on how the future of the forum is perceived by the owners. Weighting it to the cfw roots it in the past somewhat due to the obsolete hardware involved.
Historically, as I understand it, hummy.tv was set up by Michael Eaton (and administrated by an apparently random list of people I don't understand, still in force) for Humax enthusiasts generally - and I seem to recall it superseded another forum. Only once Raydon and af123 made serendipitous breakthroughs in tweaking functionality did the bulk of the traffic become CF related.

Nonetheless, when Michael wanted out, af123 took over all the forum hosting etc, so de facto the primary purpose is now CF and therefore HDR-FOX and HD-FOX (with FOXSAT running a poor third).

Would it help if the font/colour of the section name in the New Posts list was changed to make it more prominent?
I find using the 'Watched' & 'Unread' filters in New Posts means I don't see the posts for machines I don't have and dont jump into unexplored fora.
Could New Posts be placed on the right hand side where it was in XF1?
I like it where it is! It is in the same place whether using the Forums pull down or the header bar and is the most used (by me) of the header bar entries

I suggested earlier to order by machine age with current machines first but I really don't care since I rarely visit that page
Machine age is more appealing to me, could help attract potential new forum members.
When someone visits this site for the first time motivated by their 'new' Humax or research when considering to buy then the impression given is not one of a thriving site for Humax new owners. It has the very old SD models at the top and not the FVPs or 1100S.

Ideally I would also like to see the 3 twin tuner sub-forms merged into one. Although some of the threads do not state which model is being discussed the importance of these is now relatively low. Many issues and questions are common across all three models, and 3 lines on the home page for these old models in the same series is just greedy.

A further change would be on the Wiki pages. The main page for the Wiki section doesn't make it obvious that it is aimed at HD/HDR-FOX T2 owners. It is easy fro someone to skip the first paragraph and go for the listed details.

I find using the 'Watched' & 'Unread' filters in New Posts means I don't see the posts for machines I don't have and dont jump into unexplored fora.
I prefer to look at all the 'new post' forums as there is often interesting stuff and people sometimes post in the wrong place anyway. I have the time :)
When someone visits this site for the first time motivated by their 'new' Humax or research when considering to buy then the impression given is not one of a thriving site for Humax new owners. It has the very old SD models at the top and not the FVPs or 1100S.
Yes. This connects with my comment about the future direction of the forum.
Ideally I would also like to see the 3 twin tuner sub-forms merged into one. Although some of the threads do not state which model is being discussed the importance of these is now relatively low. Many issues and questions are common across all three models, and 3 lines on the home page for these old models in the same series is just greedy.
I'd agree, but maybe just make them sub-fora of a suitably named sub (like the 'beta' sub in cfw). That gets round the problem of thread titles not clearly stating their genesis.

The apostrophe is there as the R's in PVR's is an abbreviation of Recorders. So it's not a grocer's apostrophe.:p

It doesn't need to be there at all, unless you put P'V'R's :p.

As to the Grocer's Apostrophe, as in "potato's" - you could say it indicates the omitted 'e' - but I think we all know it's the uneducated misunderstanding that an apostrophe-s suffix indicates the posessesive.

So the plural of "PVR" is "PVRs", and "PVR's" is the possessive as in "the PVR's on/off button". End of.

Quite, apart from your "possessive"-ness.

Anyway, before this thread drifts away, can we just get on with the original topic? There haven't been any sustainable objections as far as I can see.

Last edited:
So the plural of "PVR" is "PVRs", and "PVR's" is the possessive as in "the PVR's on/off button". End of.
Are you going to tell the OED they are wrong then? The apostrophe is accepted by them as an alternative when pluralising acronyms etc.

Last edited:
Back