Beta [Real-time scheduling] schedule without rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can I say? As I have never had any runaway recordings I don't have anything to work on. It could be luck, on the other hand, it could be the combination of packages and they way they are configured. I have all my HDRs set up the same.

Yes, but I only have two in daily use, the other two are fully working and up-to-date, but not used currently.

I had a runaway recording last week on one of my little used boxes. Created a 108gb file! Not bad given True Entertainment's picture quality.

Only noticed when notified of failed recordings.

It would be nice get this issue sorted, even if it is a maximum record time or file size. At least that would mitigate the effect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

could both of you without the issue say roughly the way in which you are using rts and perhaps we can compare with andy. probably best question: how many instances of you using rts are there when you could just not use rs?

Every week, SWMBO, combs the TVTimes for programmes she would like to watch in the week ahead. She never manages to watch things ‘live’ these days.
Then, when I am using my PC, I log in to the WebIF to set the programmes to record for the week. No reboot required. Never had a problem apart from when a programme I had scheduled wasn’t actually broadcast. I have done the same via RS too.
But, as I have a VPN to my network, I tend to use that and log directly into the HDRs.

RS: Remote Scheduling
RTS: Real-time Scheduling.

could both of you without the issue say roughly the way in which you are using rts and perhaps we can compare with andy. probably best question: how many instances of you using rts are there when you could just not use rs?
Are you saying you have a bad experience, or are you just trying to decide whether to dip a toe?

I have no idea in what way my usage or Wallace's usage may be different from anyone else's. I don't use it an awful lot, but when I do it works. As with all things CF, there is no implied warranty and you can take it or leave it - it's entirely up to you... but what is there to lose? It's only telly.

My runaways appear to be linked to scheduling a recording whilst another recording is in progress and even then it is an extremely rare event, 2 or 3 in a year of constant RTS use. I do most scheduling via Remote Scheduling and don't bother to consider whether another recording is in progress.
We record almost everything we watch - several hours a day so the we can remove the ads and time shift programmes to a time convenient to us.

it is pretty annoying to watch a series sometimes a year later to find you have missing episodes.
RTS is no less reliable than anything else - if you don't monitor that things have worked properly so you can take action to recover, you are likely to come back a year later and find things not as you want and too late to do anything about it. I would have thought the risk of the box crashing is worse than things going wrong because of RTS - that's my experience anyway.

RTS is much better, in fact. If you suddenly realise (while out and about) there's a must-see programme about to come on and you haven't set it up, as long as there is ten minutes or so before the programme starts (enough time for an RS sync) you can schedule it. Without RTS you would need an RS sync and a reboot.

must-see programme about to come on and you haven't set it up, as long as there is ten minutes or so before the programme starts (enough time for an RS sync

Surely that is exactly the same thing as doing it via rs plus schedule reboot. It is waiting for the exactly same sync to occur.

that's exactly where I am at. it suited me fine all these years. thanks be to af123
Not really because I am happily using RTS
Surely that is exactly the same thing as doing it via rs plus schedule reboot. It is waiting for the exactly same sync to occur.
No, not at all since you can only reboot when the box is idle whilst with RTS you can make your last minute schedule additions even if the box is recording or SWMBO is watching her favourite programme.

Runaway recordings occur far less frequently than the random freezes and crashes that all Humax boxes are subject to and are rarely catastrophic, normally you will notice something odd long before the disk fills. Even on the occasion when I had a runaway on the day I left for a week without internet access the disk filled and I lost a few recordings but then the dustbin process kicked in and freed up enough space for the rest of the weeks recordings.

It might be nice if the webif or RS could monitor the disk for for recordings over a user defined threshold size and send a warning message of potential runaways.

No, not at all since you can only reboot when the box is idle whilst with RTS you can make your last minute schedule additions even if the box is recording or SWMBO is watching her favourite programme..

I take your point. however, in the rare cases I need to do that, I use my slingbox to instantly program anything in the t2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back