reception problems

Looks like you may have to pay someone! Do you have a clear view from lower down the building? You might be able to fit an aerial lower down and adapt the wiring. Alternatively, being as the aerial is clearly intended for Emley Moor and not Sheffield, it could be that it isn't wideband. How old is it?
we've been here nearly 11 years and we've not changed it, seeing as the people who lived here before didnt even have a toilet roll holder, let alone double glazing or central heating, then i imagine the aerial must be really really old, plus birds, sit (and shit) on it constantly!

anyway, i've rescanned today, automatically, selecting YORKSHIRE and all channels seem to be there, when she goes to work in a bit i'll have a look at what muxes are there and report back

not much of a christmas day, but its only me and the dog, so dinner etc is tomorrow instead! the nhs stops for no man!

excellent they're all back to 100% and i've got bbc3HD too now, the muxes it tuned auto to are 32(HD), 41 (HD), 44, 47, 48, 51 and 52

was reading about the problems with recording the new HD channels so think i'll leave them alone until its been resolved

glad its all sorted

Glad to hear everything is ok.

Can you please tell us the signal strength/quality from each of the MUXs.

Menu > Settings > System > Signal Detection

Right Arrow on the Remote Centre Button and select the MUXs in turn.

Thanks

Martin

PS. The better weather recently may have something to do with allowing you to tune successfully.

they're all around 30-35% but all pictures are as clear as can be

i noticed something about a retune in this area on the 21st, so maybe that had soemthing to do with it? i'll never know, but just pleased its all sorted and i havent had to shell out for a new aerial!

cheers for all the advice

Thanks for the information. You are definitely on Emley Moor. But, I agree with Mike0001, you should try to find a cheap indoor aerial to experiment with. You will probably get a stronger signal from the Sheffield transmitter.

The digital signals we receive now are different to old analogue ones in that with analogue you get increasing "snow" as the signal level decreases but with digital signals you get abrupt pixellation and then no signal.

This is often called "cliff-edge" degradation because loss of signal occurs suddenly.

I think your box's tuner is sitting at the cliff-edge with its feet dangling over the side. :)

Keep us informed if you have any more problems.

Martin

i spoke too soon, woke up this morning and it'd gone again!! had recorded everything i'd set up overnight.
have rescanned automatically before going to work and it fetched all the main channels but havent had chance to analyse which ones. youview is, again, unaffected.

as its goes in the night every time, is there something that the unit does overnight that could cause this to happen, or is it just coincidence??

regards getting a new aerial, is this really likely to be worth doing, or is it the hummys tuners that are one the wane, is this even possible?

off to manual scan now, will report back in a bit

me and my big mouth!!

it's only picking up muxes 21 44 and 47 of any decent strength on the manual search, so again, that's a mixture of Sheffield and emley Moor isn't it?

it's only picking up muxes 21 44 and 47 of any decent strength on the manual search, so again, that's a mixture of Sheffield and emley Moor isn't it?

Yes.

Is the aerial lead connected directly to that box?

no it goes thru a boosted splitter, one feed into hummy, one into youview box

But you get exactly the same happening when you connect directly, or swap the connections over between your T2 and YouView boxes?

Also, you don't have that package channeldel installed, do you?

yes i've tried switching around the leads, no difference

i've not intentionally added the channeldel package, i'll have a quick look

i can get HD thru both 21 and 41 this morning, but poor quality on all other emley moor muxes and almost nothing on the sheffield ones

channeldel keeps a list of services you habitually delete every retune and deletes them for you. If it were installed it could be suspected of behaving over-zealously.

its just gonne haywire again, some time after 1836 judging by truncated recordings on dancing on ice and countryfile

rescanned when i noticed and its picking up crystal clear hd from sheffield on 21 again, last time it was emley moor on 41, very odd that it seems to flick from one to the other?

again youview seems unaffected. gonna speak to the aerial shop tomor and seek some advice from him

its just gonne haywire again, some time after 1836 judging by truncated recordings on dancing on ice and countryfile

rescanned when i noticed and its picking up crystal clear hd from sheffield on 21 again, last time it was emley moor on 41, very odd that it seems to flick from one to the other?

again youview seems unaffected. gonna speak to the aerial shop tomor and seek some advice from him

Very odd! Sounds like a faulty box now.

please take that back mike, i really dont want to hear stuff like that??!!

is that possible that the tuner can wear out, has this been documented before??

Back