Recommend Me a Router

I think that's normal. My understanding is that restarting the router prompts a renegotiation of the line, which is in itself a reboot in some sense.
When we were with BT the internet used to die occasionally. Restarting the router would bring the 'line' back quite quickly according to the status lights on the router (though the phone still worked throughout), but it could still be a couple of minutes or more before the internet worked again.

Oh marvellous (sarc).

Three are now offering video streaming separate from your mobile data allowance. More Internet contention! :(

OK, see if anyone has any ideas about this.

We have been watching a streamed series most nights, from about 8 to 10pm. (Yes, TV is cr¤p at the moment.)

Most nights, we get a network error at exactly 9.45pm. Looking at the tv network settings, it is connected to my LAN but has no internet connection. After several attempts, but possibly only after the passage of a few minutes, it comes to life again. I reckon it happens when the IP needs renewing but haven't investigated, but anyway, why would that take several minutes? Surely it would be instantaneous?

Despite giving the tv a fixed ip outside the router dhcp range and the google dns, it lost connection yet again last night.

I am thinking more and more that these losses are normal. Are you still getting disconnections, Ron Glum?

Have you spoken with your ISP? That seems to me to be the obvious thing to do at this stage.

From what I've read in the past it may not be 'just' a new IP address (though I thought those usually lasted for a few weeks anyway) but a renegotiation of the line which takes a bit longer.

Are you still getting disconnections, Ron Glum?
I've not noticed anything untoward lately.

(For future readers of these posts: I may have "acquired" different members status text by the time you visit - in fact probably will have done - so the Ron Glum reference might not make much sense!)

Have you spoken with your ISP? That seems to me to be the obvious thing to do at this stage.

From what I've read in the past it may not be 'just' a new IP address (though I thought those usually lasted for a few weeks anyway) but a renegotiation of the line which takes a bit longer.
I had the same with BT before Plusnet. I now have fixed IP address so it is possibly a resync problem.

But is it the connection between TV and Router or Router to ISP that is giving the problem? When TV has 'lost it' can you still access the internet on your computer?

But is it the connection between TV and Router or Router to ISP that is giving the problem? When TV has 'lost it' can you still access the internet on your computer?
In this case, I didn't check, sorry, but my experience in the past of these drop outs, where a device has no internet access for a few minutes, is that other users are carrying on as normal.

I have reorganized so that my Synology NAS is handling DHCP now, as the router has a maximum lease of 2 days whereas the NAS has a maximum of 30 days. I have moved the TV back to DHCP and will see how it goes.

I agree, it's most likely the external link. The only local drop-outs I get are either the iPad throwing a wobbly (which it does on a regular basis - if the forum is slow to load, turn the iPad WiFi off and on again and magically the forum - and everything else - works again), or the HomePlug network needing a reboot (which still happens, sometimes, apparently induced by traffic: I was trying to download some MP3s converted on an HDR, and the HomePlugs kept stalling instead of the HDR!).

Might be a good idea if Mike001 checked which side of the router was giving the trouble before we posted random diagnoses on the 'wrong' side of it. :frantic:

Might be a good idea if Mike001 checked which side of the router was giving the trouble before we posted random diagnoses on the 'wrong' side of it. :frantic:
Back in his OP (#283) he said:
Looking at the tv network settings, it is connected to my LAN but has no internet connection.
which seems to suggest it's an 'other side' problem.
But then in #290 he's backtracked a bit :dunno:

which seems to suggest it's an 'other side' problem.
That quote, to me, says that his TV has no internet connection, not necessarily that his router has no internet connection. But of course, if the latter, the former will also be true.
My neighbour had this problem - giving it a static IP ..
What is 'it'? His internet IP or his iThings IP?

Might be a good idea if Mike001 checked which side of the router was giving the trouble before we posted random diagnoses on the 'wrong' side of it.
Quite. This thread has become rather tedious of late. Talk about wet finger in the air fault-finding...
Anyway, that's as much as I'm going to say.

Back