Recommend Me a Router

I used to have Devolos and had trouble over time requiring them to be rebooted every few days. Then one day just out the warranty period 2 of my 3 units died completely (no lights). I have since switched to Solwise AV 1200's now and these have been problem free and fast!

I have been flooded with tp-link models from 500 to 1000, 1200 and now 2000 mbps. When I received the 2000s I was surprised to find they would not talk to the 1200s. Turns out I had v1 1200s and the required update was only available for v2. Pity, because one of the 1200s had a built in wifi hub.

Online, people talk of Powerline being sensitive to just about anything switching on or off, but what to do?

There is also talk of the power saving mode being the problem, that a Powerline device hibernates, but fails to come out of hibernation.

I just had trouble again, connected to the wifi access point connected directly to the router, no Powerline intervening. Connected, but no internet access. I turned wifi off and on again on the tablet and connectivity was restored. Very annoying! No amount of waiting or changing channel or access point cured the problem before doing that, but why? Wifi and connectivity is fine one moment, then suddenly the connection fails. I was the only person in the house using the internet, too.

I get that with my iPad. Everything going fine and then Internet access freezes. Switch airplane mode on and off, then everything's fine again. It seems to be a common problem (with the iPad).

Good to know but I've switched over to Solwise and an ASUS 1200 AV2 (Wifi range extender) now and not looked back since thankfully!
How on earth do you get a wifi range extender to work? I have tried half a dozen and each one regularly lost the connection and required a reboot.

How on earth do you get a wifi range extender to work? I have tried half a dozen and each one regularly lost the connection and required a reboot.
Are you sure it's the range extenders and not your router that's the problem?

I forgot to mention, all internet connectivity vanished the other night. After much faffing around, I discovered that the router had reset itself to default settings. :mad:

upload_2017-6-15_20-32-15.png

I don't know what the baseline should be.

From SpeedSmart (iPad app):
upload_2017-6-15_20-33-13.png
Everything's on a go-slow!!!

Last edited:
The RouterStats plots I gathered in March show the Rx SNR typically 6.4dB, Tx typically 20dB, Rx speed typically 3,300 Kbps, Tx 450 Kbps.

This slow-down is only something that's happened today (or in the last few days anyway). 3Mbps is about the best anyone can provide without fibre and this far from the exchange.

I've started RouterStats gathering data again (which requires leaving my PC on 24/7 - can we make an HDR do it?*), so I'll see what happens and when.

* Presumably "all" it does is log in to the router admin and then periodically capture the rate and noise data from the web page posted above (post 255). What would it take to write a script to do the same thing, and log the figures in a file for later analysis via a spreadsheet?

I don't know what the baseline should be.
For "Down", 6dB is the normal. 3 on a clean line and 9 on a noisier line. Anything else points to a more fundamental problem with either the line or interference.
"Up" will be whatever it is, once you have hit the maximum upstream speed, so is harder to compare.
Here's mine currently:
adslstats.png

I presume you have tried restarting the router? (And some modems are better than others, all other things being equal!)

can we make an HDR do it?*
Yes, in theory. It is not an onerous computational task. But someone would have to write it, test it, debug it etc.!
* Presumably "all" it does is log in to the router admin and then periodically capture the rate and noise data from the web page posted above (post 255).
Yes. Or via a command line interface (or both).
What would it take to write a script to do the same thing, and log the figures in a file for later analysis via a spreadsheet?
It depends on the capabilities of the router/modem. Some are easier than others. There is no standard for any of it. All of them do things in different ways.

Back