Recommend Me a Router

I don't get what might have been originating requests inside my network at those times of day.

Update: I've had an idea about the pre-10pm traffic, but not the 1am stuff!

Last edited:
From China, Roumania, France??
I had that on that router (if it's my ex Netgear) BH, so I switched off logging them. At one time I was getting DoS attacks' from my iOmega NAS on my network, but they couldn't explain why.

About 30 pops in 5 hours? That's hardly going to D your S, even on your dial-up speed connection ;)

Okay, so if these are stray responses to outgoing traffic, how do I increase the timeout so that they are no longer seen as unprovoked incoming probes?

If they are being blocked, presumably they are not getting through to my network where something is waiting for the response. That might explain why I sometimes get unresponsive pages.

how do I increase the timeout so that they are no longer seen as unprovoked incoming probes?
You almost certainly can't on domestic level routers. I can do it by adjusting the connection tracking timers on mine (not that I have). ;)

From China, Roumania, France??
I had that on that router (if it's my ex Netgear) BH, so I switched off logging them. At one time I was getting DoS attacks' from my iOmega NAS on my network, but they couldn't explain why.
So you sold BH your hacked router?

I don't get what might have been originating requests inside my network at those times of day.

If it happens every night, just leave the router connected but your lan disconnected overnight and see.

BT regularly contact their own routers to update them, could it be that? One more reason not to use their router.

So you sold BH your hacked router?
Yes, but the only 'hacking' done was to remove the stupid 'foot' and then wall mount it. I got a NG D6400 as I was going to VDSL 38Mb/s and also fancied the ac1300 WiFi. Its been rock solid, as was the old 3700.
Also changed the WiFi gizmo in my lappy to an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC7260 device from eBay to try to keep up with the WiFi speed of the new router.

Okay, so if these are stray responses to outgoing traffic, how do I increase the timeout so that they are no longer seen as unprovoked incoming probes?

If they are being blocked, presumably they are not getting through to my network where something is waiting for the response. That might explain why I sometimes get unresponsive pages.
What does the team think about me ticking the "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" box?:
IMG_2318.PNG

On a quick look on the web it sounds like it's probably a feature that doesn't make much difference, so I'd give it a try I think.

What does the team think about me ticking the "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" box?:
View attachment 3039
Why on earth would you want to encourage hackers to break into your network or flood your connection with traffic that will give you even less bandwidth? I would think very carefully before doing that.

Yeah, but the thing is that I am getting legitimate (if late) responses timed out and logged as DoS / ACK attacks anyway, which I suspect is the cause of my browsing sometimes hanging (and potential duplicate posts had I not learned to avoid clicking "post" more than once).

Is it really the router that is protecting me from real scans? I thought that was done by the ISP when we discussed it before.

Is it really the router that is protecting me from real scans? I thought that was done by the ISP when we discussed it before.
Probably. In the 'quick look' I did above there was reference to the fact that you can't stop a dosa, only log the stuff arriving, and port scanning will also happen regardless. And the question does arise as to why anyone would want to deny you service, even for a script kiddie having bit of fun.

My ISP makes protection from scans optional.

I recently found a setting

Enable SRA

Do you have that turned on? Dunno if it makes any difference. I wish ISPs were more transparent about these things. I have a fixed IP, fixed DNS servers, set the connection to always live, yet there are still times when a web page says this site or google or amazon has no DNS entry!

The Devolos seem to be more reliable now.
According to RS they dropped out yesterday afternoon - I noticed the "connection to home network" light out when I got home in the evening, and rebooted the Devolo on the router this morning (having found it had not corrected itself). That restored network connections to HDR1 & 4, but I also had to reboot HDR3 (which had crashed, probably due to the network activity faults) and (unusually) the Devolo on HDR3.

Um, well, I have my router connected to one wifi access point directly, so that should not lose connection, but another wifi access point is connected by tp-link Powerline. If it is Powerline causing me grief, like you, I will be able to tell.

I would use one of those wifi repeaters, I have several. I know they halve the bitrate, I can live with that, but the problem is that after a few days they lose connection, every one I have reviewed has done that.

I can live with it - if I lose contact with one HDR I assume the HDR has frozen, if I lose contact with all HDRs I assume the Devolos have frozen. They've been much more reliable since the firmware update.

The weird thing is that it always seems to be the unit connected to the router that goes down - even if I swap them around. I didn't check yesterday's outage, but usually the HDRs can still see each other (the Devolos still run as a self-contained network).

I had some cheaper HomePlugs before (can't remember what make), but they were terrible compared to the Devolos and eventually stopped working at all.

Back