Recommend Me a Router

BT gave me a different line test address where I could run that test when I had problems. It reported its results back directly to BT.

Have you tried

ping -t 8.8.8.8

in a cmd window? I guess you could redirect the output to a log file.

BT gave me a different line test address where I could run that test when I had problems. It reported its results back directly to BT.
It's not right for me to be pessimistic before giving it a try, but I have misgivings whether I would be able to contact somebody who knew what they were doing!

I'm going to try that software prpr has suggested - at least while my PC is running. I guess it wouldn't be s difficult to replicate the access mechanism and data gathering on an RPi script, even if the visualisation of the data was then left to a spreadsheet. I have a few projects stacked up for RPi now, and a light at the end of the tunnel with regard to immediately pressing jobs...

And press Ctrl + C to stop it
After a few days, to see if there is any pattern.I doubt if he will, though.

Putting an ordinary ping in a loop might be better. You could then capture the time things go wrong.

I haven't really been following this thread, but as you're talking about pinging over time and quality of service, I'll mention the thinkbroadband Broadband Quality Monitor.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html

This runs on an external server and pings your router to produce a nice graph over weeks or months so you can spot patterns.
I was losing the internet for a few minutes at a time, but couldn't say how often until I used his.

f354ffdb718f99c7012da3144368869c-06-02-2017.png

This was a month ago, but it shows everything's fine since then.

I haven't found how they do the visualization - I'd love to graph my home network to see if/when my powerline adapters lose contact.

Thanks. I wonder how they resolve a non-fixed IP address.

Ah:

"Can you monitor my connection if I have a dynamic IP?
We can only monitor your line if you have a static IP address as we are not able to track changes to your IP address at the moment. We will look at adding this functionality in a future version."

I'd love to graph my home network to see if/when my powerline adapters lose contact.
In case you didn't spot it, I updated the firmware on my Devolos and they've gone from flakey to rock solid. Not a single problem since.

The thinkbroadband solution will fail on a stealthed connection.

I wasn't active on the Internet at the time, so I didn't notice - should I put a surveillance camera on the router lights to correlate? :)

That was in jest. I will probably work the other way around, checking the lights and the monitor charts when I notice a glitch.

Sounds like a plan. Could this not just be bt renewing your wan ip address?

You call it jest, but everyone else sees sarcasm.

Actually, looking at the log around 1800 it appears to be a glitch in the data collection rather than a line outage. There is just one line in the log (samples are taken every 15 seconds) where there are no figures at all rather than low figures, and the samples either side are "normal". That's not very clever from the data presentation point of view!

Back