Recommend Me a Router

Could this not just be bt renewing your wan ip address?
No.
A drop on the PPP session does not necessarily mean the modem lost sync with the exchange equipment.
In any case, BT don't renew your WAN IP address for no reason. You don't even know whether he's on a dynamic or static address.

You don't even know whether he's on a dynamic or static address.
I did indicate such further back. Since I have not paid a premium for a static IP address (what would I need one for?), I assume BT allocates one and changes it frequently to ensure I don't get a service I haven't paid for. I can't see why it would change otherwise; the router is always connected so there is no reason to de-allocate it until and unless there is a reboot and a new DHCP request.

I've had another of those "no data" glitches this morning, and it is not clear whether they are coincidental with an actual LOS. Other than that all seems to have been fine since I started monitoring - although the noise margin seems steady during the day and deteriorates during the night!

To maintain the logging I have left the PC running (with screen off), and it needs to come with me when I go to a meeting tonight! Ho hum. The RouterStats program is also blocking me from accessing the router control panel - the Netgear will only allow one login at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't DHCP, it's IPCP
Fair enough, I don't have these terms on the tip of my tongue - Internet Provider Configuration Protocol?

HThe location of the Netgear file is

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=stattbl.htm

unless you have changed the router IP address.
I have, it's 192.168.1.254. I'll have a look at that before I start RouterStats again tonight.

(Since you're the forum pendant trick cyclist?)
They said I was messing with their minds, so...

Who has? Moi? I will explain more if it was? Was Mike referring to the line status page that the RouterStats program looks at?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the point/advantage/use of being able to telnet into a router? I might have a go on my D6400 just for fun and to see if it can be done (I myself can do it) later.

Back