Recording Conflicts - Challenge to the Experts!

Karl Harrison

Hi
I use the Remote Scheduling Service to highlight failed recording and conflicts and find the emails so useful for keeping the family happy.

Would it be possible to add an auto-fix/semi auto-fix button to the web-if interface.

It currently lists failed recording by showing the .htm file - could this be highlighted in red and an option added to search epg for chance to try and record it again?

Also conflicts are highlighted in pink could the same be done with these - i.e. use picks likely recording that might be able to be rescheduled and it automatically searches for an alternative slot to record it in.
Plus a big ask can it retain the series link when doing it.

A final ask which I think will be out of your hands is to link series - i.e. search for last in series and automatically email users a reminder to set up the recording of the new series.

Have fun working out if these are possible.
Regards and kudos for all the hard work already done.

Would it be possible to add an auto-fix/semi auto-fix button to the web-if interface.
Don't quote me, but I think anything developed for the RS that can be back-ported to the WebIF will be - eventually.

A final ask which I think will be out of your hands is to link series - i.e. search for last in series and automatically email users a reminder to set up the recording of the new series.
How is an automated process supposed to be able to tell if a programme is the last in a series? Not all carry an "N of M" tag in the synopsis, or the words "last in series". I don't really understand the problem - you can already use the RS to search for new EPG entries and receive email alerts and/or auto-schedule hits based on events or series.

[I have alerted the moderators that this topic has been posted in the wrong section of the forum - if you had been looking in the right place you would have found some relevant material, and a relevant existing topic to post in. Anyone coming along later: this has probably been moved to the right place by now. Forum novices: see Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click)]

Last edited:
Also conflicts are highlighted in pink could the same be done with these - i.e. use picks likely recording that might be able to be rescheduled and it automatically searches for an alternative slot to record it in.
Plus a big ask can it retain the series link when doing it.
If I understand this then the recently added Visual page already does most of this, including preserving the series link. This is an old video so things work slightly differently now but the principle is the same.

The only bit that's missing is that the moved episode will end up at the top level instead of inside the series folder - that's still on my todo list.

Hi

Whilst auto rescheduling might be possible in simple cases most conflicts are not simple, there are at least 3 programs involved in a conflict and not all programs are repeated on a +1 service or on a later day so and the reschedule might itself cause new conflicts. I think it is beyond even af123's skills to read SWMBO's mind to know which programmes Must be recorded and which can be sacrificed or moved.

The new visual display and skip/reschedule options make sorting out a conflict a lot easier but I still think it needs a human to actually untangle the conflict.

It currently lists failed recording by showing the .htm file - could this be highlighted in red and an option added to search epg for chance to try and record it again?

That does sound like a good idea - when a recording has failed for some reason (or it has too many signal drop-outs to be easily watchable) provide a search to see if it can be recorded again.

Back