Recording Failed: Not being saved

The only thing I had to go on is that Windows does
Linux ain't Windows... (and even on Windows, it's just a function of the GUI Explorer application, not the underlying operating system or filesystems)
I ask that before anyone says 'I don't believe it', they first try to recreate my findings
I did believe you, but I've just tried it myself by recording Topsy and Tim from CBeebies (it was the shortest thing I could find starting imminently!).
I created a file called "Topsy and Tim" in "My Video" and set up a series recording.
The recording started at the appointed time, as shown on the front panel and on the WebIf's Schedule page. It did not show as recording on the WebIf's status bar, but we know why that is - because there was no .ts file or indeed any recording going to disk.
The pause and rewind buttons on the remote were inoperative for the duration.

The only remaining question is how you ended up with this rogue file in the first place. I guess we will never know.

the explanation as to how it occurred, may never be known, I merely documented it as a help to others
Already have recreated. And as already reminded by prpr, prpr's post 2 already stated that such things are possible.

It also accounts for why one of my BBC recordings failed last month. I've just recreated that scenario and the recoding failed to appear, despite the play bar for the channel being red during the broadcast.

My particular scenario was to use iPlayer to play and save the previous, and first, episode, and then to use the webIf to save it by just the programme name with out any qualifier (e.g. Ep 1), and saved in the top level folder. Episode 2 did not record. Episode 3 did record but by then the iPlayer download had been renamed.

It is all the irrelevant asides like this which made it so hard to pick the bones out of your posts.
How do you know is irrelevant? Is it impossible that newk caused the rogue file to exist?

If this thread had run a bit and only then Andrea mentioned newk was installed you'd have probably been yelling about not giving all the information up front.

You seem very grumpy these days. Chill a bit more. :)

for those interested in how long 'fixdisk' takes to run, here is a screen grab showing current progress

though keep in mind, time taken to complete will more than likely depend on how many recordings there are on your own system and how many episodes for each folder representing those series

Attachments

• fixdisk running.JPG
    fixdisk running.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
may I ask that before anyone says 'I don't believe it', they first try to recreate my findings
If I had understood what you were saying at first reading, I would have done.

create a file 'touch NCIS' within the 'My Video' directory
My suggestion is a lot cleaner that what you were originally saying, don't you think? But, of course, you're not creating a file called "touch NCIS"...

picking at a minor spelling infraction
Not fair: at first read I had to work out whether "forth file" meant the source code for a Forth program. This, and other of your comments, imply you don't care about clarity and are happy to make the people who might help you work harder. This kind of thing is why I gave up trying to work out what you were talking about, and had to come back to it on a fresh day with a clear head.

BTW, "minor" spelling infractions can have an enormous impact - eg the difference between hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic. Mishearing that can mean death.

for those who have missed previous posts of mine, I have a couple of Humax HDR Fox T2, one with a 1Tb hard drive, the other has a 500Gb hard drive
Don't make people remember your post history to follow a new thread. Include what's relevant, and avoid cluttering it with what isn't (although I admit it can be difficult to decide when something isn't relevant). I realise you are posting out of indignation, but just focus on the idea that clear communication is essential - that's all I'm pressing for and I don't think it's unreasonable (especially as you try to present yourself as knowledgeable).

You seem very grumpy these days.
No I'm not, I just want to read a post and understand what it says without having to dissect it.

I've just tried it myself by recording Topsy and Tim from CBeebies (it was the shortest thing I could find starting imminently!).
I created a file called "Topsy and Tim" in "My Video" and set up a series recording.
The recording started at the appointed time, as shown on the front panel and on the WebIf's Schedule page. It did not show as recording on the WebIf's status bar, but we know why that is - because there was no .ts file or indeed any recording going to disk.
Great, confirmation... but only after I had restated the problem clearly.

The only remaining question is how you ended up with this rogue file in the first place.
Surely this is the nub of the matter. Suppose we set up a script which runs regularly itself, or as part of the autoprocess scan, which logs any files it finds which look like folder names but are not folders (ie anything without a .xxx). If one turns up, we can look to see what else was happening at the time.

Last edited:
I've had a couple of mystery fails too recently, with no message as to why.
Bear in mind this will only account for series recordings going AWOL (not non-series recordings), and it will be all the recordings in a series.

Not fair: at first read I had to work out whether "forth file" meant the source code for a Forth program
well, really, I forgot a 'u', have you ever heard of reading context, I had already mention the main file, the '.ts, then I mentioned two, sorry should that be to or too, support files, then followed on with the forth, obviously referring to the previous three files

how many times have you read or red a passage which had an oops in the spelling and you had to think, hang on a mo, (do you understand a 'mo', for those who don't (do not) it means in this context, 'moment', a short interval of time

had there (or their) been previous reference for forth programming source code, then possibly, just possibly it could be misread or miss read, that there could be confusion, but no or know, no reference to forth, just a simple oops on the keyboard, as you seem to be so concerned, here is the 'u' to insert

any ways or anyways, my hard drive on my humax, oh really, are there a few different models out there, well, for those not keeping up, it's a 'HDR-FOX T2 with Customised Firmware' you know, I suppose it's too much trouble to reaffirm we are in a forum for, guess what the
'HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware'

as for how a rogue file with the same name as a series linked programme name could appear, is it possible an after shock from doing a fixdisk where, (ware, wear, were - choose alternative if needed) could such an occurrence take place, what if it were a segment destined for lost and found that itself got lost

I cannot imagine why that might be, and therefore am unwilling to believe it without hard evidence (as opposed to anecdote)
does this constitute evidence, my humax (do you really want the entire spec of my humax) showing that nothing is being recorded

an entry of my media folder where a folder called 'NCIS' should be

and the next, showing my entry in remote scheduling for the episode of ncis in the progress of being recorded, oh and for those who still doubt, the ring in the middle of the humax is showing red (recording), unfortunately I didn't download the suitable software on my laptop that can do a screen grab of my living room

Attachments

• showing humax not recording anything.JPG
    showing humax not recording anything.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 6
  • showing where ncis should be.JPG
    showing where ncis should be.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 6
  • rs showing ncis recording.JPG
    rs showing ncis recording.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 7
Perhaps that's where you might find your capital letters and full stops?
sorry, I'm 200 plus miles from london to get a capital 'l', and don't do 'full stops' as I'm not on a ship

does having capital letters make you feel better, well here are a few, ARE THEY REALLY NEEDED, oh by the way, they were called upper case and lower case letters,

how are you progressing on recreating the lost recording scenario

and the next, showing my entry in remote scheduling for the episode of ncis in the progress of being recorded,
Remote scheduling does not have live access to what is happening on your box, it is showing what should be happening based on what is scheduled

The scheduling page on the webif also shows what should be occurring, the status displays at the top of the webif page shows what probably is occurring but they work by interpolating file usage activity and can sometimes show misleading information

Last edited:
does having capital letters make you feel better
Correctly capitalising and punctuating text generally makes it easier to read. In some instances it is both difficult to read and ambiguous without it.
It also demonstrate that one is not a believer in the modern 'can't be arsed with all that sort of stuff' school of thought.

Well, I've just arrived at this thread, with its intriguing title about lost recordings. But I confess it's been an involved read. For clarification, I've spent a half century on and off looking for faults in software - such as the stuff we're here to discuss, and Every help call has to start with a clear description of the equipment - right down to the issue level and suchlike, and then a hopefully unambiguous statement setting out either how to re-ctreate the problem or on a first call, merely what appears to have happened and the question 'Have other people experienced similar?'

In all of this, it's essential to use clear english and maintain a cool head.

I've also worked in the motor trade 'There's a rattle!'
'Where from?'
'Somewhere at the front.'
'Is it the engine, transmission, wheels, bodywork, where?'
'I Don't know - but would you fix it (please)'

At least you could climb in and drive around over the cobbled road we kept for such enquiries...

Y

it may be related to this issue:

I've got the six nations recordings on bbc AND itv going into the same folder "six nations" i'm quite sure that last weekend I had a failed recording and another one yesterday when the 2 sec temporary recording thing in top left screen I could swear appeared but no recording was made. is it confusing for the machine to have both channels in the same folder?

well, really, I forgot a 'u', have you ever heard of reading context
You'll remember this next time you get tripped up by something. It is not reasonable to make assumptions who will be reading and under what circumstances. Context is mind-set dependent, and having to work out your context is unwanted load (however slight that might be). Yes, you omitted a 'u' and thereby skewed the meaning, possibly not even realising there are meanings to "forth". I don't understand why you are so shirty about being corrected - it was your mistake not mine, and if it had been me I would have simply replied :oops: (oops). Why defend the indefensible?

In all of this, it's essential to use clear english and maintain a cool head.
My sentiments exactly. Now, getting back to the matter at hand:
The only remaining question is how you ended up with this rogue file in the first place.
Surely this is the nub of the matter. Suppose we set up a script which runs regularly itself, or as part of the autoprocess scan, which logs any files it finds which look like folder names but are not folders (ie anything without a .xxx). If one turns up, we can look to see what else was happening at the time.

Back