Recording Freezes Box

Yes, this is definitely a DOS / UNIX conflict. I don't know PuttyTel but you need to look for a setting (in PuttyTel) which changes the output resulting from pressing Return from CR+LF to just CR (or perhaps LF - I can't remember which).

Update: a quick Google suggests PuttyTel is not good in this respect - you need a different Telnet client. The Windows client isn't great, but at least I can make it work properly by starting with the command "unset crlf". It's easy to tell: when you get the "humax#" prompt, press Return. If you get two prompts in response instead of just one, the EOL (end of line) setting is in DOS mode rather than UNIX mode. This sometimes doesn't matter too much (when issuing single-line system shell commands), but as you have discovered (when engaging in an options dialogue) the extra EOL can cause havoc.

Look at http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet which shows the correct settings for PuTTY. Specifically "Make sure that the last option Return key sends Telnet New Line instead of ^M is not checked"

Cheers af, I wondered if it was me that was doing something wrong as usual!:)

Have now set up Putty as per your instructions, and all working OK!

At least my box is back to it's usual perfect self, I presume it simply needed a spring (autumn) clean?!:cool:

Regarding the Wiki entry, it seems to me confusing (not that I am confused) that the illustrations are before the relevant instruction instead of after it.

Should be:

Do instruction A:
{illustration of point A}

..not:

Do instruction A.
{illustration of point B}
Do instruction B.

..but could be:

Do instruction A.
{illustration of point B}
Caption: Illustration of Point B
Do instruction B.