Remote Scheduling for Foxsat-HDR Now Available

OK, let's stop for today, last question, could you please run the following and reply with the result:

Code:
sqlite3 --version
The response was:
Foxsat-HDR~# sqlite3 --version
3.7.7.1 2011-06-28 17:39:05 af0d91adf497f5f36ec3813f04235a6e195a605f

Perhaps it's easier if you upload your /opt/epg/channels.db file here and I can investigate without hassling you.
I've changed the file extension from .db to .txt as the forum won't allow .db to be uploaded. I also have channels2.db and and channels.db-opkg in the folder.

Attachments

• channels.txt
    84 KB · Views: 2
I've changed the file extension from .db to .txt as the forum won't allow .db to be uploaded. I also have channels2.db and and channels.db-opkg in the folder.
Thank you. The channel database appears to be completely messed up, TBL_SVC_DEFAULT is empty.

As you've suggested before (but I thought it wouldn't help) I think at this point it's best to do a re-tune. Then reboot, wait 10 min. and run the following to verify whether that fixed the issue:
Code:
sqlite3 /opt/epg/channels.db "select hidden, freesat, type, count(*) from tbl_svc_default group by hidden, freesat, type order by hidden, freesat, type;"

Thank you. The channel database appears to be completely messed up, TBL_SVC_DEFAULT is empty.

As you've suggested before (but I thought it wouldn't help) I think at this point it's best to do a re-tune. Then reboot, wait 10 min. and run the following to verify whether that fixed the issue:
Code:
sqlite3 /opt/epg/channels.db "select hidden, freesat, type, count(*) from tbl_svc_default group by hidden, freesat, type order by hidden, freesat, type;"
That produced no result from telnet. I'm going to have to sign off for the weekend, but what about cutting the *.db files to the pc and either rebooting, retuning and or reloading the firmware 4.1.3(or all 3) to repopulate them? I can always restore the files to the folder if necessary

I need some help from the gurus for the best approach towards fixing a corrupted channels database, I'll create a separate thread and let you know the result.

Have a nice weekend.

I'm not saying MofTot hasn't done a brilliant porting job - but please bear in mind RS already existed for the HDR-FOX CF and was created by af123 - the local package is a port of the equivalent package for HDR-FOX, and the RS web site was written, is under continuous development, and is hosted, by him.

For all users that weren't part of the beta program

A few users aren't seeing the EPG on the RS server. This appears to be owing to your box's channel database being corrupted. I've extended the RemoteScheduling Plug-in Settings such that you can debug yourselves and fix accordingly based on the following information.

If you can't see the EPG on the RS server for your device please have a look at the following in RemoteScheduling Plug-in Settings:
  1. Custom Visible Channel Count: This is the number of visible custom Freesat channels tuned on the box.
  2. Default Channel Count: This is the number of Freesat channels tuned on the box, the number should be close to 200.
If 1. or 2. above is 0 your channel database is corrupt and RS will not send any channels to the RS server, which means that you won't see your EPG there.

If you're able to log on to your Foxsat-HDR box via Telnet/SSH you can repair your channel database like this:
  1. If the file /opt/channels/FOXSAT-HDR_channels_backup.fcl exists: Run the following command, which should repair the channel database and keep any custom settings like channel names and which channels are hidden:
    Code:
    /opt/bin/channels readall -f /opt/channels/FOXSAT-HDR_channels_backup.fcl -d /opt/epg/channels.db -b TBL_SVC_DEFAULT
  2. If you don't have the file/opt/channels/FOXSAT-HDR_channels_backup.fcl:
    1. Run the following command, which renames the channel database (sadly, you'll lose your custom settings):
      Code:
      mv /opt/epg/channels.db /opt/epg/channels.db.bak
    2. Reboot.
    3. The box should re-create the channel database after the first reboot. It appears that the WebIf Channel Editor only works fully after another reboot.
  3. When you've done 1. or 2. above please:
    1. Reboot.
    2. Wait 30 min.
    3. Update RS to 1.4.5-11.
    4. Verify the values shown in RemoteScheduling Plug-in Settings.
    5. Push your channels to the RS server if you're happy with the values in 4. by clicking [Push Channels] followed by [OK] in the confirmation dialog. You should now see a the number of channels pushed being greater than 0 and hopefully you should now see the EPG on the RS server.
For a few users the BBC region isn't detected correctly. You can verify the region detected in RemoteScheduling Plug-in Settings's BBC Region. If the value starts with "Unknown" please report the full value in this forum and I'll add detection for it and release a new version of RS.

If you're not experiencing any issues with EPG and/or BBC region on the RS server you won't benefit from upgrading RS from 1.4.5-9 to 1.4.5-11 but there's no harm in doing so (just wait 30 min. after you start your box, see below).

For all users

Please wait 30 min. after you've started your Foxsat-HDR before installing/upgrading RS. We might have an installation issue that corrupts the channel database if the installation is run at the same time as the box is working on channel database updates.

During this initial production phase where we have a few teething issues it would be helpful if you update Description for your device(s) on https://rs.hpkg.tv/acct/ to include your hummy.tv forum username, which enables me to contact you directly on a separate conversation on hummy.tv in case I see something not working.

Wiki

The latest changes haven't been updated on the Wiki, I hope to be able to do this next week.

Last edited:
For all users that weren't part of the beta program

A few users aren't seeing the EPG on the RS server. This appears to be owing to your box's channel database being corrupted. I've extended the RemoteScheduling Plug-in Settings such that you can debug yourselves and fix accordingly based on the following information.

If you can't see the EPG on the RS server for your device please have a look at the following in RemoteScheduling Plug-in Settings:
  1. Custom Visible Channel Count: This is the number of visible custom Freesat channels tuned on the box.
  2. Default Channel Count: This is the number of Freesat channels tuned on the box, the number should be close to 200.
If 1. or 2. above is 0 your channel database is corrupt and RS will not send any channels to the RS server, which means that you won't see your EPG there.

If you're able to log on to your Foxsat-HDR box via Telnet/SSH you can repair your channel database like this:
  1. If the file /opt/channels/FOXSAT-HDR_channels_backup.fcl exists: Run the following command, which should repair the channel database and keep any custom settings like channel names and which channels are hidden:
    Code:
    /opt/bin/channels readall -f /opt/channels/FOXSAT-HDR_channels_backup.fcl -d /opt/epg/channels.db -b TBL_SVC_DEFAULT
  2. If you don't have the file/opt/channels/FOXSAT-HDR_channels_backup.fcl:
    1. Run the following command, which renames the channel database (sadly, you'll lose your custom settings):
      Code:
      mv /opt/epg/channels.db /opt/epg/channels.db.bak
    2. Reboot.
    3. The box should re-create the channel database after the first reboot. It appears that the WebIf Channel Editor only works fully after another reboot.
  3. When you've done 1. or 2. above please:
    1. Reboot.
    2. Wait 30 min.
    3. Update RS to 1.4.5-11.
    4. Verify the values shown in RemoteScheduling Plug-in Settings.
    5. Push your channels to the RS server if you're happy with the values in 4. by clicking [Push Channels] followed by [OK] in the confirmation dialog. You should now see a the number of channels pushed being greater than 0 and hopefully you should now see the EPG on the RS server.
For a few users the BBC region isn't detected correctly. You can verify the region detected in RemoteScheduling Plug-in Settings's BBC Region. If the value starts with "Unknown" please report the full value in this forum and I'll add detection for it and release a new version of RS.

If you're not experiencing any issues with EPG and/or BBC region on the RS server you won't benefit from upgrading RS from 1.4.5-9 to 1.4.5-11 but there's no harm in doing so (just wait 30 min. after you start your box, see below).

For all users

Please wait 30 min. after you've started your Foxsat-HDR before installing/upgrading RS. We might have an installation issue that corrupts the channel database if the installation is run at the same time as the box is working on channel database updates.

During this initial production phase where we have a few teething issues it would be helpful if you update Description for your device(s) on https://rs.hpkg.tv/acct/ to include your hummy.tv forum username, which enables me to contact you directly on a separate conversation on hummy.tv in case I see something not working.

Wiki

The latest changes haven't been updated on the Wiki, I hope to be able to do this next week.
I think I have a very stubborn or confused device. I tried the above 3 times very carefully, but without success. My default channel count is still zero. Unless there are any other ideas, I'm considering the nuclear option of a factory reset. To avoid disaster perhaps someone could help with the following:

Would it be best to format the HDD at the same time or remove the opt folder? If so, if I transfer my favourite recordings to my PC can I transfer them back again after the format?
Should I let the device update its software before installing firmware 4.1.3 or does that package include the updates?
After installing 4.1.3 what are the minimum extra packages I should install to get the remote scheduling working?
What was the package to ensure HD recordings can be played elsewhere?

Thanks

I think I have a very stubborn or confused device. I tried the above 3 times very carefully, but without success. My default channel count is still zero. Unless there are any other ideas, I'm considering the nuclear option of a factory reset. To avoid disaster perhaps someone could help with the following:

Would it be best to format the HDD at the same time or remove the opt folder? If so, if I transfer my favourite recordings to my PC can I transfer them back again after the format?
Should I let the device update its software before installing firmware 4.1.3 or does that package include the updates?
After installing 4.1.3 what are the minimum extra packages I should install to get the remote scheduling working?
What was the package to ensure HD recordings can be played elsewhere?

Thanks
I'm running out of suggestions. Just to verify, you're saying that you did 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3, yet the channel database that the box re-created didn't have any default channels?

You can export and import the recordings, just make sure you move the files as binary files. I assume CFW 4.1.3 includes the most recent standard firmware, perhaps someone else can confirm.

Installing rs should automatically install all other required packages. You could try and install satinfo as well.

I'm considering the nuclear option of a factory reset
There is a file you can delete to trigger removal of the custom firmware. Don't have access to my box at the moment but, from memory, it's in the /opt folder and it's called something like ".DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE". Note the "." at the start of the filename. In linux terms makes the file as a hidden file so you'll need to do an "ls -a" if you want to see it from a telnet session. Once this file is deleted, a reboot of the box will trigger the removal of the custom firmware.

You shouldn't need to do a factory reset on the box as it's the CFW channels database that's got screwed up, but I suppose the belt and braces approach would be to do this as well.

Once everything is reset you can re-install the CFW (and nowster's patch) in the same way as you did originally.

I assume CFW 4.1.3 includes the most recent standard firmware, perhaps someone else can confirm.
Yes, CFW 4.1.3 includes the most recent standard firmware.

There is a file you can delete to trigger removal of the custom firmware. Don't have access to my box at the moment but, from memory, it's in the /opt folder and it's called something like ".DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE". Note the "." at the start of the filename. In linux terms makes the file as a hidden file so you'll need to do an "ls -a" if you want to see it from a telnet session. Once this file is deleted, a reboot of the box will trigger the removal of the custom firmware.

You shouldn't need to do a factory reset on the box as it's the CFW channels database that's got screwed up, but I suppose the belt and braces approach would be to do this as well.

Once everything is reset you can re-install the CFW (and nowster's patch) in the same way as you did originally.

Yes, CFW 4.1.3 includes the most recent standard firmware.
Thanks, I'll give that a go first. Am I right that the opt folder is just to do with the firmware, in which case is it best to delete this folder or maybe just the epg subfolder before re-installing?

Actually, it's been a while since I've done this but, on reflection, it could be that my memory is playing tricks on me (Graham or someone else please feel free to correct me!).

I have a feeling that I was wrong earlier and that deleting the .do_not_delete_this_file doesn't completely remove the CFW but rather resets the CFW to the state it was when you first installed it from USB stick - all packages deleted and only the "basic" web interface available (you may have to press F5 to get the page refreshed when you browse to your box after reboot). Re-install the full Web Interface from the basic web interface and then re-install required packages.

You don't need to manually delete any files or folders other than the one above.

And yes, the /opt folder is where most of the CFW resides. It should be visible under the "Media" samba/windows share (if you're a Windows person) or simply under /opt in the directory structure in telnet (if your a command line sort of chap).

I'm running out of suggestions. Just to verify, you're saying that you did 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3, yet the channel database that the box re-created didn't have any default channels?

You can export and import the recordings, just make sure you move the files as binary files. I assume CFW 4.1.3 includes the most recent standard firmware, perhaps someone else can confirm.

Installing rs should automatically install all other required packages. You could try and install satinfo as well.

Yes, I did everything suggested. The remote scheduling plug in page on the device shows Custom Visible Channel Count 200 but
Default Channel Count 0 and BBC region blank.

Back