Remote stops working after a while

You got a 12 month warranty, and if you registered your box within 30 days of purchase, Humax would extend it to 2 years.

You got a 12 month warranty, and if you registered your box within 30 days of purchase, Humax would extend it to 2 years.
If you didn't register within 30 days, I suggest registering now anyway.

I had my unit changed after 23.5 months, they only needed a copy of my Proof of Purchase.

Customer support number is tel:0844 669 8800. If you have an aversion to 0844 numbers you can use 02083266000 BUT DON'T THEN SELECT ANY OPTIONS, wait for an answer and ask for customer support.
Good luck -it all worked for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No didnt work
Ive never filled a warranty form out in my life (wish i did now!)
I usually just go by the rule if something stops working before ive had my moneys worth
It goes in the bin and i dont buy from that company again

After 23 months everything still works great, apart from the ok button so i cant complain
Its the wifes fault for recording so much reality crap lol

Gonna try the wiki foil circle fix if that fails there only £40 on ebay

Thanks for all the help and advice guys

I paid about £15 for a Logitec Harmony 300, or the custom firmware has a web browser remote control you can run from a smart phone / tablet / web book / notebook...

Gonna try the wiki foil circle fix if that fails there only £40 on ebay

Cleaning should always be carried out first (but obviously don't put the remote back together until you have tested it), if the PCB is sticky, cleaning will probably fix it. It can be either something added e.g. spilled coffee etc.or something taken away e.g. the conductive property of the rubber pads, cleaning fixes the former (and is easier to do), the foil circles fixes the latter and is more time consuming to do all keys

1 remote fixed!
was just rubber discharge from the back of the rubber pads (K37- OK button)
cleaned it with cotton bud and meth spirit as advised
i also used a plastic pry tool from an iphone opening kit (ebay) after i popped the first side lugs with a blade just ran pry tool up edge, top to bottom, and the other 4 lugs on each side popped open nice and quick
thanks for all the help ;))
some pics:

I'm glad it worked for you, I've never had to use the foil circles on a Humax Remote yet, the photo in the WiKi is from a Philips cordless telephone where the rubber pads had gone very high resistance

Unfortunately it's not that simple for me:
I am having exactly the same problem as Paul @ #1. So weird that the remote control unit usually starts working again if left alone for a half hour or so, how does that make sense? Just to confirm that the remote still controls my Sony Bravia TV and Sony Blu Ray player even when it has stopped communicating with my Humax PVR. Also as with Paul, the box itself does not lock up as the front buttons for volume and channel changing still work when the remote control function does not. If a quick fix is needed a power cycle currently seems to reset it but this is obviously inconvenient and completely impractical if a recording is taking place. Quite maddening and in its present state the Humax is impossible to live with. For what it is worth, it was purchased from Humax Direct on 10/12/2013 and has been supplied with Software Version FHTCP 1.03.06, Loader Version 7.34, MICOM 9.3. Have spoken to Humax Technical Support who said they will send me a replacement remote but cannot believe that is the culprit. Will report back when I get it. Obviously stuffed for Christmas. Doh!

Do you get the PVR message on your TV when you switch the remote between the TV and the PVR? And a light flash on the PVR button?

Are any of the buttons "sticky"? That is seem to be permanently depressed?

Silly question but have you changed the batteries? [Ducks]

Martin

Do you get the PVR message on your TV when you switch the remote between the TV and the PVR? And a light flash on the PVR button?

Are any of the buttons "sticky"? That is seem to be permanently depressed?

Silly question but have you changed the batteries? [Ducks]

Martin
Hi Martin, Thanks for your reply. When it is working I do get the on-screen icon whenever I switch between PVR, TV, DVD, AUDIO. When it is not working I do not of course but the PVR light on the remote still flickers. I am actually having the problem now and when I switch to DVD function the remote does power my player on, same with the TV, it is just the Humax it will not control! None of the buttons feel sticky. The unit is just a couple of weeks old. Have tried many different batteries and checked/swapped all the cable connections.

I posted on here a while ago with my problem.
What I noticed once when I opened up the unit was that I had forgotten to reconnect the fan one time when putting the unit back together.
When I reconnected the fan and started using again, this led to a further period of erratic remote control behaviour.

Since then I have left the fan disconnected and not had a repeat of the issue, and the unit does not appear to have overheated. It seems that when the fan was activated, the IR behaviour went bad. Leaving it unconnected seems to be the way forward for me.

(I do have another intermittent issue with the remote, but this is where it stops working anything, the red button appropriate to the current mode flickers less brightly, the batteries need to be removed and any button pressed to discharge, then batteries are reinserted and all is good for a while longer.)

Really does sound like the Humax itself.

You may have seen this before but if you view the Remote's transmitter with a digital camera as you press a button you should see a flash. That will confirm the Remote is transmitting something.

Martin

I agree. There have been a number of reports of boxes with a fault receiving the IR transmissions.
Thanks to everyone for the useful information.
For further information, I have taken a digital photo of the remote when it is in "non functioning PVR Mode" and it is still sending a signal out. Have now checked every single button is working correctly on my remote by holding it in front of my laptop with the web cam on and pressing each button in sequence. As each button is pressed a light is sent out from the remote and this stops immediately I lift my finger off which presumably suggests nothing is locked up on the remote. The unit is just over 1 week old and it looks like I have got a turkey!

Still the same here, liveable with but,
Humax sent me a new remote last year+, works the same as original - both work or both don't work, remotes always work TVDVD etc. Always works when hummy first switched on, I am thinking something gets warm in the hummy and that triggers the problem, not had hummy to bits.

Have been using the soft remote and that's great from laptop etc, but just lately that has stopped working, can see the hummy, menu, delete and set recordings but not work the remote, I am sure I have missed a step after an upgrade/retune. Have switched off auto upgrades/retunes, halfway into a retune with no remote is not liveable with. I think in the new year will have the case off (look at the fan business) or replace the box.
Not much help to anybody but may confirm problem.

If it helps anyone else to know, the remote has now "magically" started to work again, until the fault comes back once more, which it no doubt will! Shades of Groundhog Day. Seriously believe the box must be defective, not the remote. Maybe the infra red sensor within the box malfunctioning? I have already tried the factory default reset (it actually locked up whilst doing that and I had to wait until it started responding again to complete it) have also reformatted the HD and done a HD diagnostic check which said there were no faults. Think it is going back to Humax Direct.

Update 31st December 2013.

Still having same problem and the box is almost unusable in this condition. Support from Humax has thus far been non existent. I spoke to them on their 0844 number (grrrr) and the representative said he was sure it would be a faulty chip in the remote and promised to send a replacement. It has not arrived as of 31st December. As I previously said, I do not believe this is the real problem and decided to followed up my telephone call with an e-mail to UK Customer Support on 21st December. They have not yet responded. I understand that this is a holiday period but cannot believe they have been completely closed down as I am sure they are still taking orders. This is a new unit for goodness sake and it is defective. Beginning to wish I had stuck with Sky!

I've had this problem for a year now and is identical to the core posters... I even have a thread and a pile of what were new batteries. I bought a replacement remote many months ago, no joy. Cleaned the front contacts, no joy. It has it's problems soon after boot up. So luck of the draw whether you pick of the menu what you want before then ten minute or so hanging. Then sporadic hanging during the day that will cure itself.

My latest theory is the Chinease bless them pinging the IP ports swamping the box with trafic. I use to get "attacks" reported by my old virus software which you could check back to China. With this in mind and I read that Humax's own built in FTP had problems, I loaded up the custom software beta FTP and disabled the built in one from the user interface. Well all was good from 4pm last night. I got the less than tactile feel from the remote that it was busy last night but it did take the command eventually by a few repeat presses - feel that it use to give me at times rather than the just not working feel. So anybody with this problem could take part in this experiment of whether it's Humax's built in FTP by using the custom one or just turning off the built in one and not loading up the beta ftp.

All of this could be a red herring but those with the problem could give it a go and report back. It seems good to use the beta FTP in any case.

Edit. thanks for the IR custom menu tip on the thread, will be useful if this doesn't fix the problem... how did I miss that one.

My latest theory is the Chinease bless them pinging the IP ports swamping the box with trafic.
Do you really have your network set up such that the Humax can receive pings from outside? Usually this would only happen if the Humax was in a DMZ.

I certainly got pings on the office machine [in the other room] via the router a few years back via a Linksys router connected to Virgin cable modem and I haven't changed that. Pings being so called port attacks which I traced back to China - they all originated from China and that's well before anybody was pointing there finger at them. You use to get the alert then do the track back. I changed to the free Virgin software and then to Microsoft Essentials and firewall, so none of this gets reported these days.

Back