Remote stops working after a while

I certainly got pings on the office machine [in the other room] via the router a few years back via a Linksys router connected to Virgin cable modem and I haven't changed that.
But it will only happen, assuming there is a router, if the machine in question is in a DMZ or port forwarding rules have been set to forward ICMP protocol to the computer in question. Was the office machine in a DMZ?

I will pass on this except that the router in normal set up was forwarding these on and McAfee was busy trapping these.

So far so good no remote control hanging at the minute although it might be more to do with the way the wind is blowing, but I tend to think myself that the remote issue is related to the box not giving any processing slots to read the remote rather than anything else. One notes that processor utilisation is well up after boot up but settles down which is indeed after the remote starts to settle down apart from the odd times when one assumes that house keeping or some other factor kicks in.

Thanks it shows all my common ones are currently closed which is good, the link below the port list.

PS I had a slight negative report about whether the betaftp fixed the remote problem at boot up from the partner although I wasn't there to check. Interesting that the diagnostics on temperature of the drive and processor use, shows high processor use at boot up for the next period, whilst temperature is obviously fine. Personally I don't think it's the fan as has been suggested. All I need is for it to go wrong a period after boot up and check for processor use.

From standby, you wouldn't expect the fan to turn on for a hour or so (maybe two), so even if the fan was faulty, there wouldn't be a temperature problem for the first hour

That's was the point I was making and from the diagnostic graph it shows it's not spinning at start up thus where someone put the remote control problem down to the fan running it's not this problem unless the custom software has reset the behaviour of the fan from when they posted up. I believe it's a processor related issue that the box doesn't have enough ump to pick up the remote commands since they are prioritised out. Only a theory mind you. So I'm expecting next time the remote hangs after it's been running for a period the diagnostic processor graph will show a big peak like it does at start up. Temperature [albeit the drive] and fan speed not having a bearing in the issue.

I believe it's a processor related issue that the box doesn't have enough ump to pick up the remote commands since they are prioritised out.
But if that was the case why would it only effect you and a small number of others?

Let's run with that hypothesis for a bit...

Something we know is that in some instances the DLNA indexer gets bogged down. Could be having a problem indexing some of the recordings. Try turning off content sharing.

Ok dokes I'll leave as is for a bit waiting for the non tactile period with the remote and then turn off content sharing after checking the processor theory which would be related. I'll revert to turning it off soon. I do have a fairly well stuffed drive, 1gb factory fitted.

btw what's "waiting" on the processor graph, more of that at boot up.

Waiting for data from the disk. Persistent high wait time could indicate a disk problem.

hmmm I was holding on disk checks before other checks although I have checked using the HDD Test before. Just running it doesn't report anything although I suspect you guys have better tests in the diagnostic software.

But if that was the case why would it only effect you and a small number of others?
Just to confirm that I do not have my box connected by ethernet/wifi at all. Still having same issue with remote locking up then mysteriously starting to work again if left for a while.

I will continue my investigations again at the weekend :). I'm still hoping to see a big spike in the processor usage when the issue appears outside of the 10 or so minute busy period at boot up when the remote doesn't work.

I seem to be getting less remote control issues of recent....

May be I need some good hard disk diagnostics if the issue rests in the drive being unresponsive.

Would someone else be interested in testing the fan idea ?
The story behind me discovering this is that I had suspected I had an issue with my hard drive. I obtained a 250G drive and ran off that for a while, rebuilding my 500G original. I expect that is was during this that I omitted to reconnect the fan and had a period of stability.
I then decided to fit a 1TB drive and upon refitting this noticed that the fan was not connected. I duly connected it and very quickly got the remote control problems when running with the new drive.
After disconnecting the fan again I've had few problems, I leave the unit on permanently. If ever it is powered off for a period then the remote problems can return.
I do have periods where the picture can become juddery/broken and put this down to possible overheating, a hard reboot tends to resolve this for a good time. Perhaps fitting a fan which is not powered by the Humax unit would be a good idea, or maybe the remote control related components inside my unit need to be warm enough to work reliably. Possibly the fan itself is defective and could be replaced, I don't know yet.

I tend to think it is lack of processor power handling interrupts and the remote just gets left out of the processing loop. This is primarily at boot up and eye balling the diagnostic graphs of CPU use against temperature of the drive points to high processor use at boot up and cold drive. This is reverse to what you describe on temperature. Saying this I have had less problems I think since when I switched to the Beta FTP from the built in one. Thus I would recommend to any one with this problem to switch to the Beta FTP - this is recommended in any case... also turn off the factory one from the Humax main menu which is part of switching to the Beta FTP one.

I'm still waiting for it to hang in the day long after boot up then I'll check the CPU and HD temperature on the diagnostic graphs. It's behaving pretty good at the minute.

Edit

OK no more problems to date. Basically I moved over to Beta FTP disabled the internal FTP from the boxes menu. Installed the diagnostic modules so I could check what was going on with the CPU usage and hard disk temperature. Did a disk check from the boxes internal menu. Deleted some of the log files that were building up. Re-installed the remote module which I think I took out of the custom modules a year or so when this problem started thinking it was due to that. That's about it.

I'll let you all know if the problem returns.

I tend to think it is lack of processor power handling interrupts and the remote just gets left out of the processing loop. This is primarily at boot up and eye balling the diagnostic graphs of CPU use against temperature of the drive points to high processor use at boot up and cold drive. This is reverse to what you describe on temperature. Saying this I have had less problems I think since when I switched to the Beta FTP from the built in one. Thus I would recommend to any one with this problem to switch to the Beta FTP - this is recommended in any case... also turn off the factory one from the Humax main menu which is part of switching to the Beta FTP one.

I'm still waiting for it to hang in the day long after boot up then I'll check the CPU and HD temperature on the diagnostic graphs. It's behaving pretty good at the minute.

Edit

OK no more problems to date. Basically I moved over to Beta FTP disabled the internal FTP from the boxes menu. Installed the diagnostic modules so I could check what was going on with the CPU usage and hard disk temperature. Did a disk check from the boxes internal menu. Deleted some of the log files that were building up. Re-installed the remote module which I think I took out of the custom modules a year or so when this problem started thinking it was due to that. That's about it.

I'll let you all know if the problem returns.
Just to confirm that I do not have my box connected by ethernet/wifi at all. Still having same issue with remote locking up then mysteriously starting to work again if left for a while.
Update: Finally had box replaced by Humax under guarantee and all is working well even with the old remote. I guess this suggests it was the previous box and not the remote that was defective. Will post again if the problem reoccurs but all seems well now. Thanks to everyone for their kind assistance and suggestions.

It isn't the remote, I bought a new one some months ago. I suppose if you don't have it connected then it isn't the FTP. It could be that some boxes run close to the margin when the effect manifests itself through a variety of causes. I still tend to think that the box is running out of umf when this issue occurs mainly at boot up but some times latter.

You could argue that the great and the good run their boxes with a different profile of custom tool modules so aligning to these will reduce the posibility of the problem manifesting itself. I tend to think running the custom with diagnostic tools and betaftp is one that can bed tried where the problem occurs.

Back