[renumber] Channel Re-numbering Extension

af123

Administrator
Staff member
The ability to re-number services (channels) on the Humax by changing the Logical Channel Number (LCN) has often been requested, so here is an experimental web interface extension to do just that.

reorder.png

Once installed, it is available as an option in the Web Interface Settings screen, probably near the bottom.

For each channel that you wish to change, enter a new number into the box and save changes. Next time you reboot your Humax, the channel numbers will change around. If you ever rescan the channels on your box then the next time you reboot they will be automatically changed to match your saved preference.

Renumbering channels is useful for people who want to swap the high-definitions services with their standard-definition counterparts, e.g. swap BBC ONE for BBC ONE HD putting BBC ONE HD on channel 1, and can also be used to re-order channels (e.g. move BBC HD to channel 8) to be closer to the start of the EPG. Of course another way to achieve this is to use the standard favourites feature in the Humax software to define your own list of channels and order them to suit.

Let me know how you get on.

Just a thought here - is it possible that the unwary might renumber 8XX channels and compound the usual problems caused by two transmitters?

Could add a lock-out to prevent renumbering 800+, that way we would be able to detect and advise accordingly. Perhaps it already locks out 800+? Perhaps it detects 800+ and puts up a warning message?

When using auto-tune at the weekend on HD-FOX-T2 1.02.28 to see if it had changed compated to the previous versions it stored 120 duplicates on one of the region selections. It used 800-899 and 1000-1019 for the duplicates. My point being what are the 900s reserved for, and would that have any implications for renumbering from or to numbers in the 900-999 range?

Radio duplicates get treated the same as TV duplicates and are put in the 800-899 and 1000+ ranges

According to the DTG specs:

"Any broadcast services which cannot be allocated to the entry indicated by their associated LCN, or which do not have an associated LCN, shall be allocated a value by the receiver in the Variant or Manufacturer ranges."

I wonder if 900-999 is the Manufacturer Range ? I'll keep looking.

According to

http://www.dmol.co.uk/DMOL LCN Consultation 29 March 2012.pdf

Under the terms of the D Book specification, the 800 to 999 LCN range is reserved for manufacturer use and is not available to be allocated to channels. Regional channel variants which carry the same LCN are generally given an LCN in the 800 range by set top boxes and integrated TVs. The channel with the stronger signal will be shown at the main LCN and the weaker channel will be given an LCN in the 800s. The 900 range will continue to be used for manufacturer testing purposes.

The UK freeview specs aren't publicly available but the New Zealand freeview specification (which is based on the UK one) states that no channels must be assigned to LCNs > 999. It is likely that the UK spec says the same thing...

Excellent, I can't wait to try this out! It will hopefully eliminate another annoyance that I currently have it that due to the fact that I've configured my box to power up on BBC1 HD (50) and that it always reverts to the full list, flicking through the presets soon lands me in the children's and shopping channels!

It works like a dream! Does it also include anything which might affect the problem where the Humax keeps forgetting which Favourite's set you've had selected and goes back to the full channel list? It's early days yet and I didn't get much chance for any in-depth testing of that over the weekend (too much sport to watch!), but it seems to be improved - there was one point where I naturally assumed the Humax would switch back to the full channel list because I've got used to it doing that previously, but it didn't. Sorry for being so vague, I'll try and do some more 'structured' testing if I get the chance.

Does it also include anything which might affect the problem where the Humax keeps forgetting which Favourite's set you've had selected and goes back to the full channel list?

No, but I've seen reports that it is much better in 1.02.27/28 - presumably an undocumented fix from Humax.

It would be possible to assert the favourites selection during boot if you need something more persuasive.

No, but I've seen reports that it is much better in 1.02.27/28 - presumably an undocumented fix from Humax.

It would be possible to assert the favourites selection during boot if you need something more persuasive.

That sounds like a good idea. I had this problem for ages with 1.0.20. It cleared with 27 but has returned intermittently according to family. I am due to upgrade to 28 this week so hopefully ....

But if asserting via cf was an easy option to implement then it wouldn't do any harm.

I'm very sad to say that I've discovered a potential issue with this, I think someone else has already mentioned it too, but I can't remember who or where. Anyways, I've swapped BBC1, ITV1 and C4 with their HD counterparts, which all works very nicely. I've also moved BBC HD to channel number 8 (which was otherwise vacant since I'm in England), this has also worked nicely as far as the HDR itself is concerned, but doing this seems to have caused BBC HD to vanish completely from the EPG on the RS portal, and programs on BBC HD don't come up in a search. I'm presuming that this issue relates to the renumber package because the RS EPG is not listing the other three HD channels that I've renumbered using their updated numbers. Is this something that would be easy to fix?

What happens when you have the channels renumbered, and the message pops up "OK Watch in HD"? I put the badminton on BBC THREE (LCN 7) and was offered the HiDef simulcast on BBC HD (LCN 54). Would you get whatever happened to be allocated on 54?

no, you get the correct channel. as an example, I watch gymnastics on BBCThree, which is also being shown on BBCHD (which I've allocated as channel 8), if I press 'OK watch in HD' it takes me to ch 8.

Web interface shows all the channels reordered nicely, but on the guide on the Humax I have every channel I've moved duplicated? So two BBC One HD on channel 1, two ITVs, etc...
Do I need to purge a cache somewhere?

Back