[rs] Installing and using this package intermittantly caused Read Only File System issue.

zekepliskin

So my HDR Fox T2 was working near perfectly for many months. I was tempted to retire it but instead I did some spring cleaning, removed a load of content and unwatched Series Links which were cluttering up the recording schedule and so on. I figured with 4TB of space internally (upgraded WD-AV-GP drive installed 18 months ago) it was worth keeping it in commission for the foreseeable.

Odd thing though - after installing and using the [rs] package for a couple of weeks I noticed some strange anomalies starting to creep in. Namely that sometimes when using the webif and "browsing installed packages" it would completely break the list, with just two packages shown, one with a red exclamation mark and part of the description of [rs] itself, as if the webif was trying to retrieve the list and being made to fail.

Worse than this, after some 10-15 minutes of being on, often the chase play would break. Doing some further investigation I noticed that when trying to FTP files across via [betaftpd] it was throwing up a Read Only File System error so obviously the two were related. In the interests of eliminating possibilities I booted the HDR Fox T2 up in maintenance mode and did a fixdisk check, and a short test. Neither caused any errors, but rebooting back into regular settop mode showed the same issues. It also caused a handful of recordings to fail including the France vs. England Six Nations game - luckily I was watching live at the time so I didn't miss the pretty incendiary first half and the stoppage/TMO torment of the second.

Removing the [rs] package fixed the problem, now everything works perfectly once again. At the same time I also trimmed the package list, jettisoning other now-unused stuff like ntfs-3g, the [Deleted Items] trashcan and a few others. No more Read Only File System related issues.

I'm wondering as I'm running a hybrid MBR/GPT drive (set up by the maintenance mode built into the custom firmware, incidentally), is it perhaps tripping up the [rs] package somehow? Or was it scheduling a reboot to add remotely scheduled items when the box was "idle" somehow to blame? This is all just speculation on my part because I don't know enough about how the underpinnings work to make more educated guesses, but all my testing indicates something about the [rs] package was causing Read Only File System errors which immediately cleared up upon uninstalling it. A real shame because it did work to set up new Series Links (for example, new Top Gear which starts in about a week) but as it was making existing ones fail it cancelled itself out. I can still take advantage of the "email" feature for now but the "set and forget" nature of making anything matching the search/channel criteria automatically append to the record list made the HDR Fox T2 almost more powerful than the TiVo, especially if you consider the box does stuff the early TiVos used to do but don't now like marking the end of ad breaks so the choose bookmark button functions as a near-instantaneous "skip ad" button. Brilliant. Best button on the remote if you've recorded an ITV show... :-D

This is odd, and clearly some kind of interaction in your particular circumstances because nobody else is reporting this kind of thing (which is not to say it won't be of interest).

One of my units has a 4TB HDD (hybrid MBR/GPT) and has never experienced the issues you seem to have. It also has the [rs] package installed.

Or was it scheduling a reboot to add remotely scheduled items when the box was "idle" somehow to blame?
If you enable Real Time Scheduling the need for reboots is no more (though there is a very very small risk of runon recordings if you schedule a recording whilst a recording is in progress).

If you do experience abnormalities in any webif page display it is worth looking at webif-error.log to see if the server has reported any errors. Also look at the rs logs for anything is related to rs.

I think it is worth reinstalling Undelete, you may not have needed to recover an unintentional delete yet but Sods law... also Deleting files whilst other programmes are recording can cause pixellation in the recordings - the dustbin defers the actual deleting to a quiet time.

Try reinstalling RS and giving it another go - perhaps there was some problem with the previous install - as mentioned no-one else has reported similar problems and we are not shy in speaking up.

Removing the [rs] package fixed the problem, now everything works perfectly once again.
This is really strange. I've been thinking about it since I saw your post and I can't see any reason for the correlation you observed.

rs is actually just a small process that runs every so often (every 10 minutes by default) and talks to the remote server. If there is nothing to do, it should just exit really quickly. If there are jobs to process, for example scheduling a new programme, then it sets it to record in the same way as doing the operation through the on-box web interface.

If you do re-install it, please try this from the command line to see what I mean:

Code:
humax# time /mod/sbin/rs_process now
real    0m 1.62s
user    0m 1.19s
sys    0m 0.15s

Wow, helpful replies chaps! Thank you. I wondered what caused pixellations in recordings, I always assumed it was signal issues as sometimes it dips from about 80% quality/strength to 60% or so in my region. Love living in the country, no cable (fiber) broadband either.

I had Real Time Scheduling enabled, doesn't seem to work from the webif either now whereas it did before. Damn I loved that feature. I suppose I got a bit delete happy to make the box work, no-one likes failed recordings especially my significant other who has enough trouble making the media centre work as it is (there's like 8 things hooked up to the main TV and a home cinema amp and universal remote, even I forget how to make it do things sometimes).

Yeah I can reinstall [rs] and test as I have some work days off to keep an eye on it, both at home and remotely (gotta love TeamViewer).

I had Real Time Scheduling enabled, doesn't seem to work from the webif either now whereas it did before
That is also something to investigate and could be tied into your rs problems.

It is possible that a past crash caused parts of the CF that live in flash memory to be damaged or disabled.

Try running the fix-flash-packages diagnostic and ensure all packages are up to date.

Try running the fix-flash-packages diagnostic and ensure all packages are up to date.

Done. I'd forgotten it had crashed before installing [rs], it seemed to fix quite a few little errors and did a few package updates. I bet it's safe to reinstall [rs] now... :-D

I think you are being a bit optimistic - FFP force-reinstalls all relevant packages without any diagnostics, so the messages you saw would be the same regardless.

Which is not to say it didn't fix anything. However, in my view you should do a complete fresh reinstall.

Which is not to say it didn't fix anything. However, in my view you should do a complete fresh reinstall.

Which I did, I removed the webif completely using the Telnet menu and reinstalled everything, redoing all the settings for the packages I use etc. Within a few hours of doing this, straight back to the same problems it had before, which is recordings failing and Read Only File System error.

hdrfoxt2_rsfail.jpg

This is the specific way the Package page breaks when the fault occurs. In case you can't see, the first "Package" is actually an asterisk * and it spools off a list of "what * depends on" which is as long as you'd expect. After the box was on overnight the FTP server full on failed as well with "connection refused by server" error, and when I rebooted it by the Telnet menu the entire box froze up requiring a reset by toggling the 0/1 rocker switch on the back. Nice!

Removing [rs] again it is then...

Which filesystems are read only? How are you determining this?
Can you provide the output of the "mount" and "df -h" commands from a command prompt?

Can you provide the output of the "mount" and "df -h" commands from a command prompt?

Determining it by the webif not being able to install new packages and telling me it's read only, and the FTP server not able to copy things from other LAN devices or delete things from My Video with the same error.

What I'll do later today is reinstall [rs], re-enable Real Time Scheduling, wait for the time shift/chase play buffer to fail and pastebin both of those. I would like to get to the bottom of this even if just out of interest - I can live without [rs] and real time scheduling but I'm concerned there's something else going on that may affect the day-to-day running of the HDR Fox T2 in the long term.

I can live without [rs] and real time scheduling but I'm concerned there's something else going on that may affect the day-to-day running of the HDR Fox T2 in the long term.
Well yes, there is something fundamentally wrong here.

How did you do a reset - using the CFW Reset option from the diagnostics web page or the reset - Reset custom firmware environment. option from the telnet menu?

This is really strange. I've been thinking about it since I saw your post and I can't see any reason for the correlation you observed.
And after further thought, there is one possibility.
One thing that RS does is to scan the entire directory tree each night and send the list of recordings up to the server. This could expose an underlying fault on the disk or filesystem that would not otherwise show up in normal operation. Reading back through this thread, you haven't mentioned whether you have tried to run the disk repair utility from maintenance mode; that is definitely worth trying.

Well yes, there is something fundamentally wrong here.

How did you do a reset - using the CFW Reset option from the diagnostics web page or the reset - Reset custom firmware environment. option from the telnet menu?

Reset option from Telnet menu.

And after further thought, there is one possibility.
One thing that RS does is to scan the entire directory tree each night and send the list of recordings up to the server. This could expose an underlying fault on the disk or filesystem that would not otherwise show up in normal operation. Reading back through this thread, you haven't mentioned whether you have tried to run the disk repair utility from maintenance mode; that is definitely worth trying.

If you mean fixdisk from maintenance mode, yes I have. Also the short SMART test. Both passed iirc but I'm gonna run them again to be sure.... re-running fixdisk with -d -l -y options enabled now.

Fixdisk check finished kinda quickly actually... full log Pastebin'd here.

This part caught my eye :-

Code:
swapon: /mnt/hd3/.swap: Invalid argument
fix-disk: session terminated with exit status 1

Is this normal? I was under the impression the HDR Fox T2 doesn't need a swap file in most cases.

Yes the error reoccured despite the absence of [rs] and a clean install of the custom firmware via telnet. Man I really need to get to the bottom of this fast. If there are any other options to backing up nearly 2TB of content then reformatting the 4TB drive that's in there I would love to hear them!

Pastebin output from both commands

So... it seems that partition 2 is read-only, which stops it working properly. Fixdisk can't fix it because it needs a swap file and can't create a swap file on partition 3.
The reason for this is that partition 3 is full (with what I wonder?).
Let's see the output of "ls -laR /mnt/hd3".
You need to delete whatever it is to make some room and then re-run Fixdisk.
Yes the error reoccured despite the absence of [rs]
That's not really a surprise. This was never to do with rs.
and a clean install of the custom firmware via telnet.
I expect that was a waste of time too.

Last edited:
Back