Samba

The only problem is that they seem to become corrupted on the HDR after the copy and I can no longer view them on the HDR. I can prove that they copied to the PC OK by copying them back to the HDR (using FTP) and then they are once again viewable on the HDR.
Have you checked that they were playable after conversion on the HDR (decrypt/strip) but before copying to PC?

Have you checked that they were playable after conversion on the HDR (decrypt/strip) but before copying to PC?

Yes, the auto-decrypt and auto-shrink is set on the parent directory so all files have these actions are applied automatically to all programs recorded and I haven't had any problems playing them back so far. I have confirmed that all programs are in this state by viewing them via the web-if and each program has these attribute icons.

How would they work when put back?

What does "can no longer view them" mean, precisely?

I don't understand what you mean by "How would they work when put back?" can you elucidate please?

If you mean did they play on the HDR the same as any other file then there are 2 answers. If I copied all 4 files associated with the program (.hmt, .nts, .thm and .ts) back to the HDR, then the programs were indistinguishable from the originals and I was able to view the information about the program and fast forward and rewind while viewing it. If I just copied the .ts file back, obviously The "info" function wasn't available but I could view the program but not fast forward or rewind it (the advert skip function) still worked though. In this instance the HDR created a .hmi file for the .ts file.

When I say "can no longer view them" in some cases they were no longer displayed on the HDR but I could see them on the drive via the network share or FTP (Filezilla). The other case was that they were displayed on the HDR but selecting them did nothing. Unfortunately, I copied them all back from the PC to placate my wife :) and can now no longer replicate the problem! Another peculiarity was that when viewed from the PC via Filezilla, the ones that could not be seen via the HDR had permissions of rwxrwxrwx.

How would they work when put back?
Assuming that one accepts that they didn't work after copying (though I don't understand how copying a file would in anyway affect the source file) I wanted to check if the file was corrupt on the HDR before the copy.
I agree it is just as strange that if it wouldn't play on the HDR why would it on the PC, though there are more files involved on the HDR (hmt etc.).

BH, you were obviously involved in analysis in the past. I'm sure you must have learned not to ignore "the obvious" and that "... To assume makes an ass out of you and me!

The thought occurred to me to ask if anyone else does what I'm trying to do - Copy files >2GB from a Windows 7 PC to an HDR using a Samba share successfully.

I've been re-testing this and still have the same problem when trying to copy files larger than 2GB from the PC to the HDR via a Samba share. Can someone out there try this on their setup and let me know if they have the same problem please?

I know that most people wouldn't want to do this anyway (why would you?) I guess most people just copy from the HDR to PC to archive stuff.

If this turns out to be the case, I'll stop bleating and give up on the idea of using Samba and use FTP instead.

Assuming that one accepts that they didn't work after copying (though I don't understand how copying a file would in anyway affect the source file) I wanted to check if the file was corrupt on the HDR before the copy.
I agree it is just as strange that if it wouldn't play on the HDR why would it on the PC, though there are more files involved on the HDR (hmt etc.).

BH, you were obviously involved in analysis in the past. I'm sure you must have learned not to ignore "the obvious" and that "... To assume makes an ass out of you and me!

Like you, I don't understand why just copying a file would affect the source file and it certainly shouldn't but equally you can't say that it couldn't! As I say, I was under pressure to recover the missing programs and didn't have the luxury of doing an in-depth analysis of the problem and take screen prints of the situation so I can't substantiate it. All my testing since hasn't been able to replicate the problem.

Copy a 6G+ .ts file from Windows 7 to Samba share of My Video
- Windows drag and drop says file exists (0 size), but attempting to overwrite fails with insufficient space
- TeraCopy says file exists (0 size) but will overwrite it without any problems.
- ZTreeWin copies with no problems (which is what I always use for file copying anyway).
As far as Windows is concerned, I haven't found any difference between copying through a share of /media or /media/My Video; both report insufficient space.

Copy a 6G+ .ts file from Windows 7 to Samba share of My Video
- Windows drag and drop says file exists (0 size), but attempting to overwrite fails with insufficient space
- TeraCopy says file exists (0 size) but will overwrite it without any problems.
- ZTreeWin copies with no problems (which is what I always use for file copying anyway).
As far as Windows is concerned, I haven't found any difference between copying through a share of /media or /media/My Video; both report insufficient space.

Thanks for trying that hairy_mutley, it seems that you have the same problem using Windows drag and drop that I have.
Is Ztree worth the 30 dollars when I can use Teracopy for free?

Sorry to bore the pants off everyone with this problem but if anyone is interested the stuff below summarises the situation:

At least one other person, "hairy_mutley" has reported trying this and getting the same results when using Windows drag and drop.

HDR-Fox T2 with Custom Firmware V2.18 File Copy Problem using Samba Shares

Problem Description

Copying files to a Humax HDR-Fox T2 from a Windows 7 PC using a Samba share and the

Windows Explorer drag and drop mechanism has problems when the files being copied are larger

than 2GB in size.

System Setup

2 HDR-Fox T2 boxes, 1 Foxsat-HDR and the PC (all physically close to one another) are all connected via ethernet into a Gigabit switch which connects to the rest of the home network via Homeplug. The 4 boxes are all connected to the living room TV via HDMI.

The Samba configuration file on the HDR has been changed from the default as per the thread on http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/copy-recordings.4538/ to add shares for My Video and drive1 to point at the physical disks as below:

[global]
coding system = utf8
load printers = no
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
disable spoolss = yes
guest account = root
guest ok = yes
security = share
encrypt passwords = yes
null passwords = yes
server string = Samba HDRFox2
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = %h
client code page=850
character set = iso8859-1
case sensitive = yes
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
interfaces = %h/24
hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 172.16.0.0/255.240.0.0 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0

[Media]
comment = Media - Top Level - temp filesystem of 64MB
path = /media
public = yes
writable = yes
browsable = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
hide dot files = no

[My Video]
comment = My Video
path = /media/My Video
public = yes
writable = yes
browsable = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
hide dot files = no

[drive1]
comment = drive1 - external USB 1
path = /media/drive1
public = yes
writable = yes
browsable = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
hide dot files = no

The Samba shares were setup on the PC by selecting "Map Network Drive" from a Windows Explorer window, browsing the network shares and selecting the HDR box's "My Video" Samba share.

I have removed the Samba package via the Web-if and then re-installed it in case it was corrupted during download from the server.

The same problem manifests itself on both HDR-Fox T2 boxes but not the FoxSat-HDR box.

Test Scenario.

This problem manifests itself in the following ways:

1. Copying a file >2GB from the PC to the HDR the PC displays an error message in a window:

There is not enough space on My Video (\\HDRFOX2) (X:)

2.64GB is needed to copy this item. Delete or move files so you have enough space.
There was not enough space for this item:

My Video (\\HDRFOX2) (X:)
Space Free 358GB
Total size 447GB

Free up space from this disk and try again:

My Video (\\HDRFOX2) (X:)
Space Free 358GB
Total size 447GB

As you can see from the above, the error message displays the correct size available on the HDR

as 358GB of 447GB but still thinks that there is not enough space available to copy the file

which is correctly shown as 2.64GB.

Also, this error message only displays for a short time then disappears with no user input to

be replaced by the following message in a window:

There is already a file with the same name in this location.
Click the file you want to keep

->Copy and Replace
Replace the file in the destination folder with the file you are copying:
filename.ts
filename (X:)
Size 2.64 GB (larger) bytes
Date modified: 02/03/2014 10:27

->Don't Copy
No files will be changed. Leave this file in the destination folder:
filename.ts
filename (X:)
Size 0 bytes
Date modified: 02/03/2014 17:47 (newer)

->Copy but keep both files
The file you are copying will be renamed "filename(2).ts

The empty file in the target folder did not exist before the attempted copy so I assume that Samba created it in preparation for the copy to commence.

If I choose Copy and Replace, the first window (There is not enough space on .....)is just continuously displayed and updated. I eventually have to select cancel to get rid of the window . The file is not copied and an empty version of the file "filename(2).ts" "filename(3).ts" "filename(4).ts" ....... for each display iteration of the first window is left on the destination drive.

If I choose Don't Copy, the window closes and an empty version of the file is left on the destination drive.

If I choose Copy but keep both files. The same behaviour as Copy and replace ensues.

Well at least that's good news.

Hi HarveyB, just to re-iterate that the part of the problem I can't replicate is a copy of a file >2GB from the HDR to the PC corrupting the copied files on the HDR. The problem copying files the other way using Windows drag and drop still exists.

Ref post 31, this is the kind of detail needed for a proper attempt to replicate the problem - and an example to everyone else.

The Samba configuration file on the HDR has been changed from the default as per the thread on http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/copy-recordings.4538/ to add shares for My Video and drive1 to point at the physical disks as below:
:
[My Video]
comment = My Video
path = /media/My Video
The "My Video" share is not pointing directly to the location on disk "/mnt/hd2/My Video".

I have made some changes to the samba package to auto generate these entries when a disk is added or removed. Unfortunately there is a bug in the CF which prevents it working when the disk is removed. It may be a few days before it gets released since changes to the CF may affect other packages.

The "My Video" share is not pointing directly to the location on disk "/mnt/hd2/My Video".

I have made some changes to the samba package to auto generate these entries when a disk is added or removed. Unfortunately there is a bug in the CF which prevents it working when the disk is removed. It may be a few days before it gets released since changes to the CF may affect other packages.

Thanks xyz321, I look forward to the changes.

Regarding the "The "My Video" share is not pointing directly to the location on disk "/mnt/hd2/My Video"."
"/media/My Video" is a link pointing at "/mnt/hd2/My Video" or is it vice versa, my UNIX/Linux skills are not that good. So shouldn't that be OK?
Below shows the setup on my HDR

Humax HDR-Fox T2 (HDRFOX2) 1.03.06/2.21

HDRFOX2# ls
bin etc lib mnt opt root share tmp var
dev home media mod proc sbin sys usr
HDRFOX2# ls -al media
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 100 Jan 1 2000 .
drwxrwxr-x 18 root root 183 Jan 13 20:26 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jan 1 2000 My Music -> /mnt/hd2/My Music
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jan 1 2000 My Photo -> /mnt/hd2/My Photo
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jan 1 2000 My Video -> /mnt/hd2/My Video
HDRFOX2#

TRegarding the "The "My Video" share is not pointing directly to the location on disk "/mnt/hd2/My Video"."
"/media/My Video" is a link pointing at "/mnt/hd2/My Video" or is it vice versa, my UNIX/Linux skills are not that good. So shouldn't that be OK?
Unfortunately not. Samba is checking the disk space available on /media which is an in-memory filesystem so not that large. If you change the configuration file so that it has path = /mnt/hd2/My Video then it should behave better.

It makes no difference in my tests (changing /media/My Video to /mnt/hd2/My Video that is).

Unfortunately not. Samba is checking the disk space available on /media which is an in-memory filesystem so not that large. If you change the configuration file so that it has path = /mnt/hd2/My Video then it should behave better.

Tried that and it makes no difference.

Sorry, my last reply was a bit terse.

I changed the line "path = /Media/My Video" in the Samba config file to be "path = /mnt/hd2/My Video", stopped and restarted Samba and tried a copy of a file >2GB from the PC to the HDR with the same failing results as mentioned in my previous posts.

Back