Samba

Hi, not quite sure what I should be looking for in there but the last line of smb.conf is "include = /mod/etc/smb-hotplug.conf"
The file /mod/etc/smb-hotplug.conf is (re)created automatically when a USB drive is plugged in. It contains entries for all the drives under /media. That way you can see all the connected drives without the file size problems associated with sharing /media directly.

Thanks xyz321 and af123. The 2.2.12-4 patch which auto-downloaded onto my boxes last night appears to have fixed the proble on the one that I tried a >2GB copy on. I'll try it on the others as well and report back.
Glad it's working now. I think @raydon and @adrianf36 deserve most of the credit for digging out the solution when it first appeared on the Foxsat and for sharing it with us.

I notice that smb.conf now contains a "workgroup" parameter. Presumably this should be edited to match my household value (which is not WORKGROUP).

Are there any other parameters that I should change, given that I have to HDR T2s and want to tell the difference from the PC?

It's OK, I just amended smb.conf workgroup to match my house workgroup and both Hummies came up on PC fine.

I think you may need to point this requirement out in the wiki.

Are there any other parameters that I should change, given that I have to HDR T2s and want to tell the difference from the PC?
It should pick up the hostname which can be set in the webif settings page. You could also change the "server string" parameter in smb.conf to something unique.

AFAIR it always did.
Apologies prpr, you are quite correct.

Could still be worth highlighting this in the wiki though.

I think the current reference to editing path in smb.conf no longer applies as that parameter has now moved into smb-hot plug.conf.

I am not sure which is the most appropriate topic (of those above) for this...

My bedtime HD-FOX has SMB shares from three HDR-FOXes. Two of them dropped off the USB list (at first I attributed it to the UPD going flakey again - which it is, mongoose is down). All three HDRs have auto-update, and samba is at 2.2.12-4. When I went into [modsettings] and changed "folder=Media" to "folder=My Video" on the missing shares, they came back.

And yet the share that was still preset (and is still present) still contains "folder=Media". Explain that one!

I can live without it, but I am pretty annoyed that SMB now behaves the same as NFS and does not make everything under Media share if I want (except for the one HDR which still does - weird). I also had short-cut symbolic links to specific folders at the Media level.

And yet the share that was still preset (and is still present) still contains "folder=Media". Explain that one!
You have previously changed the config file on that box. The package management will not update changed config files.
I can live without it, but I am pretty annoyed that SMB now behaves the same as NFS and does not make everything under Media share if I want (except for the one HDR which still does - weird). I also had short-cut symbolic links to specific folders at the Media level.
All directories under the media directory are exported as individual shares.

I will make a new version since it seems to be causing too much grief.

All directories under the media directory are exported as individual shares.
How do I access them?

I will make a new version since it seems to be causing too much grief.
Not essential if the normal functionality is easy to restore, but you do seem to have overlooked the possibility that it would just cease to work for a number of existing users.

You have previously changed the config file on that box. The package management will not update changed config files.
Not that I recall, unless I did so to prevent HDR1/HDR3 shares going into an infinite loop.

Update: I do seem to have smb.conf-opkg, but damned if I remember changing any of this:

Code:
[global]
   coding system = utf8
   load printers = no
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /dev/null
   disable spoolss = yes
   guest account = root
   guest ok = yes
   security = share
   encrypt passwords = yes
   null passwords = yes
   server string = Samba HDR-Fox-T2
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   netbios name = %h
   client code page=850
   character set = iso8859-1
   case sensitive = yes
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   interfaces = %h/24
   hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 172.16.0.0/255.240.0.0 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0

[Media]
   comment = Media
   path = /media
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

[MyVideo]
   comment = My Video
   path = /media/My Video
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

How do I access them?
Mount each of them by their name "My Video" "My Photo", drive1, drive2 etc.

Update: I do seem to have smb.conf-opkg, but damned if I remember changing any of this:
Code:
[MyVideo]
   comment = My Video
   path = /media/My Video
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no
The MyVideo share is non-standard.

The MyVideo share is non-standard.
That must be it then - a mod to avoid an infinite loop.

Mount each of them by their name "My Video" "My Photo", drive1, drive2 etc.
IIRC external drives do not always have names that conform to "drive%". Presumably I can make a similar tweak to smb.conf on my other HDRs to create a Media mount point, and then everything will be back to normal.

IIRC external drives do not always have names that conform to "drive%".
The mounted directories for external USB drives are always called "drive<n>" or "usb-drive<n>" in the case of fuse mounted drives.
Presumably I can make a similar tweak to smb.conf on my other HDRs to create a Media mount point, and then everything will be back to normal.
If you have not modified smb.conf then it should work if you update samba again since the media share has now been restored. The new shares are also still present so that people have the option to use them. However, I predict it will cause some more confusion down the line :(

I'm still a bit lost. Was the recent update to solve the problem accessing files of very specific sizes, or the drive space reporting, or both? If the drive space problem remains when accessing via Media, that's the same as before and should cause no additional confusion (with My Video also available as a mount point, users can be advised to link to that instead if it's a problem - but it's not a problem if simply using SMB to access recordings).

I think what you are saying now is that after tonight's auto-update, I will be able to return my [modsettings] to "folder=Media", and even if I reinstate smb.conf-opkg on HDR3 I will still be able to access that one by "folder=My Video" or "folder=Media" as I choose.

It would have helped if the release of an updated samba package had been accompanied by some release notes. It's all very well issuing an update to cure a specific bug (the file size problem), but not good policy to tweak something else while you're at it without it having been discussed first.

With the latest update, the settings for the 'Media' share have been added back to SMB.conf. Of course, this does not fix the problems associated with this share.

Edit. The combination of SMB.conf and SMB-Hotplug.conf now creates the following shares on a HDR-FOX:

Media
My Music
My Photo
My Video
Plus shares for any USB drives (and network shares) as they are plugged in (or mounted) with names such as 'drive1' or 'usb-drive1' depending on the format of the device.

I'm still a bit lost. Was the recent update to solve the problem accessing files of very specific sizes, or the drive space reporting, or both? If the drive space problem remains when accessing via Media, that's the same as before and should cause no additional confusion (with My Video also available as a mount point, users can be advised to link to that instead if it's a problem - but it's not a problem if simply using SMB to access recordings).
Both. The reported drive size problem will remain if accessed by the media share.
I think what you are saying now is that after tonight's auto-update, I will be able to return my [modsettings] to "folder=Media", and even if I reinstate smb.conf-opkg on HDR3 I will still be able to access that one by "folder=My Video" or "folder=Media" as I choose.
Yes.
It would have helped if the release of an updated samba package had been accompanied by some release notes. It's all very well issuing an update to cure a specific bug (the file size problem), but not good policy to tweak something else while you're at it without it having been discussed first.
Point taken. The problem with the media share size reporting has been discussed many times before when people complain about the 60MB drive size. I did post a comment about this but unfortunately missed a detail about removing the media share. A proper set of release notes may not have helped if I had made the same mistake. Release notes will not allow you to discuss something first since they are published at the time of release not before.

On the positive side I think the latest incarnation covers all the bases rather well. I have reinstated the "standard" smb.conf on HDR3 (the one that was modified before) and will have a play.

Presumably the hotplug file only updates at boot time, so wouldn't cope with an ad-hoc drive?

Back