Setting up wired network help HDR Fox Freeview

Web interface version: 1.0.16-1 In my repies to I have pointed out that I have/and using samba firmware is this not samba firware
Custom firmware version: 2.22 (build 1905)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_1.03.12)
Serial Number: 63 7104723 01902

The cable is not and has not been connected throughout the series of questions asked by BH. I am using Samba firmware. BH asked me not to diversify into other questions/.answers

OK that's good. It proves that you have a fundamentally working network with both devices connected to it successfully via wireless.

I won't tread on BH's toes by suggesting a next step as it may just complicate things again.

I still don't know what "samba firmware" is. I know what I think you mean, but...

The fact that you can access the custom firmware web interface indicates there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with your networking. There is no need to mess around with it any further. All that remains is to ensure the HDR-FOX and the PC are configured appropriately to play each other's files.

In the WebIF (custom firmware web interface), go to the Package Management page and check the Installed tab. If the auto-unprotect and samba packages are not listed, go to the Available tab and install them. Confirm when done.

Fine. So now you have a number of options for playing media files that are stored on the HDR-FOX on your PC, presuming that the PC is powerful enough to do it (mine struggles with HiDef playback).

1. By DLNA streaming. This requires (at the HDR-FOX) Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On, and at the PC a DLNA-capable media player. Note that this option does not require custom firmware except for HiDef. I suggest VLC, but note that some versions don't work with the HDR-FOX DLNA server, v2.0.1 (click) is known to work.

In VLC's opening window menu bar, click "View" then "Playlist". A navigation pane opens to the left, under "Local Network" select "Universal Plug'n'Play". You should now be able to locate the HDR-FOX, browse the recordings, and play them.

2. By network file access. Again I suggest VLC, and to make this option work the file you wish to play has to be decrypted first. WebIF decryption requires Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On. We can worry about general decryption later, but for the moment choose one recording and decrypt it: WebIF >> Browse Media Files. Navigate to a test recording (file name ends ".ts"), and if it does not already have the "Dec" icon against it, check it has the DLNA icon (green circle with white blobs in it - see HERE for a list of symbols). Presuming it does, click the "OPT+" icon and select "Decrypt" from the list.

At this point you should be able to use your file browser on the PC, locate the Humax under "Network", browse to the file you just decrypted, and left-click to select "Open with..." and choose VLC.

On Humax content share is on . I have downloaded vlc from you link ta. Set up the universal pp , I can play file on humax from within vlc. I don't really understand the last paragraph. At this point I should be able to use file browser. ? Humax does still not show in network devices

On Humax content share is on . I have downloaded vlc from you link ta. Set up the universal pp , I can play file on humax from within vlc. I don't really understand the last paragraph. At this point I should be able to use file browser. ? Humax does still not show in network devices
This guy is a classic example of how poor English hinders communication (spelling, lack of punctuation, random (& uncapitalised) abbreviations, not using standard terms (or at least defining what he's talking about).
He hasn't said which version of (presumably) Windows he's using, nor what/where "network devices" is. I presume it's just laziness, not complete and utter ignorance.
I really wonder why anybody still bothers.

Could it be that English may not be the first language of the OP, which could explain his difficulty in expressing himself properly.

If by "browse files" you mean the ability to see files on humax via samba, you need to set the samba workgroup to match that on the PC. I believe windows 7 and 8 may be more forgiving on this but am not certain.

EDIT: sorry BH, I know your dealing with this problem but thought it worth reminding people of this.

Going round in circles and returning to my post #115, samba will work and workgroup settings are irrelevant if you simply set up a desktop shortcut to \\192.168.1.65\media\My Video. There is no advantage trying to go in via 'Network Devices' .

Sorry BH, I didn't want to get involved and would rather leave you to it, but its worth stating this now given that messing around with workgroup settings unnecessarily will simply draw out this painful process for even longer given that we've been here before.

I am glad of the likes of BH, on this and other "mutual help forums". These people shime through the morons of the internet world.

More pointless witter where you provided no information. Why don't you take the advice given? You just don't seem to want to help yourself.

Could it be that English may not be the first language of the OP, which could explain his difficulty in expressing himself properly.

Or even dyslexic.

What ever reason, it is very hard to decipher some of his sentences.

I can now see files via samba/vlc but this is not my quest. BH seems happy to help me,without resort to sarcasm and insult . I am quite content to let him try to resolve my issue.

Samba has NOTHING to do with playing these files via Universal Plug'n'Play in VLC. This is the root of your problems - lack of understanding and an apparent resistance to learning what we are telling you. I will also lose my patience unless your posts reflect the information I am providing. This is not sarcasm or insult, it is general frustration the same as everyone else.

I do not have workgroups set up (other than the default), I have not set up a desktop shortcut, and my HDRs do show up in File Manager under Network (be aware the network search process is not instant). Point 2 in my previous post is to say that, as standard, the content on the HDR-FOX HDD is encrypted, and will be no use to you via a network share (this is what samba enables) unless you decrypt the content first, using the instructions I provided.

Genuinely, this is all VERY EASY. If I were there to see what you are doing wrong, it would be easy to put you right - but working through the medium of forum posts we can't see what you are not telling us.

bwiz said:
I can now see files via samba/vlc but this is not my quest
Then perhaps you would be so kind as to remind us exactly what your quest is. In words of few syllables that we can all clearly understand.

This is my interpretation of the desired goal (from memory):

To be able to access HDR-FOX content via a Windows PC by file share; to be able to access PC content via the HDR-FOX by DLNA.

The ability to connect to the WebIF from a web browser on the PC is proof that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the networking between the two. This does not mean the PC is necessarily powerful enough to reproduce the content, but at least it should be able to browse the files.

If the below refuse to work, there may be content filtering by the PC or router firewalls. Temporarily turn off firewalls to prove, and then adjust their settings if necessary.

For explanation of unfamiliar terms see Glossary (click).

Accessing HDR-FOX Content from a PC by DLNA (StDef recordings only)
  1. The HDR-FOX DLNA server must be enabled: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On;
  2. The PC requires a DLNA-capable media player to be installed. VLC v2.0.1 (click) is suitable (some later versions have a bug which prevents DLNA access to the HDR-FOX);
  3. In VLC's opening window menu bar, click "View" then "Playlist". A navigation pane opens to the left, under "Local Network" select "Universal Plug'n'Play". You should now be able to locate the HDR-FOX, browse the recordings, and play them;
  4. If the playback stutters or freezes, the PC isn't powerful enough. If the recording is HiDef try a StDef file, or try a smaller window rather than full screen.

Accessing HDR-FOX Content from a PC by DLNA (HiDef recordings)
  1. HDR-FOX custom firmware is required (see Quick Guide to Custom Firmware - click);
  2. The custom firmware package auto-unprotect must be installed (see WebIF >> Package Management) - this removes the restrictions which prevent HiDef recordings being accessed;
  3. The HDR-FOX DLNA server must be enabled: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On;
  4. The PC requires a DLNA-capable media player to be installed. VLC v2.0.1 (click) is suitable (some later versions have a bug which prevents DLNA access to the HDR-FOX);
  5. In VLC's opening window menu bar, click "View" then "Playlist". A navigation pane opens to the left, under "Local Network" select "Universal Plug'n'Play". You should now be able to locate the HDR-FOX, browse the recordings, and play them;
  6. If the playback stutters or freezes, the PC isn't powerful enough. If the recording is HiDef try a StDef file, or try a smaller window rather than full screen.

Accessing HDR-FOX Content from a PC by Network File Share
  1. HDR-FOX custom firmware is required (see Quick Guide to Custom Firmware - click);
  2. The custom firmware package samba must be installed (see WebIF >> Package Management) - this enables SMB network file sharing support;
  3. WebIF >> Settings >> General Settings >> Hostname sets the name the HDR-FOX will appear as on your network (and other places);
  4. Reboot the HDR-FOX - this may not be necessary, but if in doubt always reboot the HDR-FOX after installing, configuring, or uninstalling packages;
  5. I use Win7/64 and a third-party file manager Directory Opus. The above is sufficient for the HDR-FOX to be listed as a network device after a network devices scan (performed automatically when the Network branch of the file tree is clicked to expand it). Others will need to report whether this also works in the standard file manager and/or other versions of Windows;
  6. Although the HDR-FOX file system can be listed this way, in order for recorded .TS files to be playable on the PC they have to have been decrypted - see Things Every... (click) section 5 (and links from there) for full details;
  7. Double-clicking a decrypted .TS file will only result in the recording playing in a media player if the ".TS" file type is associated with a compatible player. VLC v2.0.1 is suitable. Right-click the file and select "Open with...", click the box "always open this file type with this program" (or words to that effect), and select VLC as the program;
  8. If the playback stutters or freezes, the PC isn't powerful enough. If the recording is HiDef try a StDef file, or try a smaller window rather than full screen.

Accessing PC Content from the HDR-FOX by DLNA
  1. A DLNA server must be installed on the PC, and configured to serve content of particular file types from particular folders. Examples of server programs are XBMC, Mediatomb, Twonky v6 (v7 is known to crash the HDR-FOX), Wild Media Server.
  2. The HDR-FOX will only play a restricted variety of file types, see this topic on AVForums (click). Twonky has the ability to transcode otherwise incompatible media types to a suitable format;
  3. To access a DLNA server from the HDR-FOX, select Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network.
I have no relevant experience of this, and cannot guide further.

Accessing PC Content from the HDR-FOX by Network File Share
  1. To be continued.

I will edit in any relevant information that comes to light.

Keeping out of it now but ... It was so long ago, in his first page of this thread he could communicate to portal and web interface, post #6. He was trying to make it quicker to communicate using a cable between two. Really.... just go and buy 3 home plugs, or 1 port and 3 port home plug, or 2 home plugs and a small gigabit switch and connect a cable to each.

Back