Setting up wired network help HDR Fox Freeview

I have removed wifi dongle on Humax and connected a direct crossover cable betwean humax and pc tower. the pc is internet connected via wifi.
I have set pc's wired network address to 192.168.1.65.. Not manually put in a dns server address ! I was hoping to achieve a situation where I can ,without using 3rd party software ,see files at the pc end via local network.
"I can sometimes see the humax files via wi fi . not not consistantly . This is odd but maybe the limitations of my BT router. as someone pointed out.
I hope this clarifies where I am at so to speak. again thanks for interest in my quest.

I don't think that will work. The PC's WiFi connection will be a different network from the Ethernet socket, you will need to do something at the PC to enable the hard-wired network connection and communicate over it. The IP address acquired by the PC from the router's DHCP server (not DNS - that's about resolving URLs into IP addresses and is done by a server accessed over the Internet) applies to the active connection to the router, not any other connection available on the PC.

If you are implementing an "ad hoc" point-to-point network connection, you must either enable a DHCP service on the PC or manually assign an IP address and netmask to both the PC network interface and the Humax (the netmasks must match - typically 255.255.255.0 - and the IP addresses must be the same outside the netmask field and different within it - eg 192.168.1.x and 192.168.1.y).

Bit over my head this but I have downloaded a free source A DHCP server . Not done anything with it yet . I'll wait for stressfree moment of clarity

I removed the wifi dongle from the humax.I put manual address's in both humax and pc . both pc and humax give me connected notificatipon. I can't see any respective files at either end. seems the crossover cable has made no difference.
I have also lost internet connection by wifi at the pc end. putting everthing back to auto brings the internet back to pc
maybe try another wireless router?

On PC... if your internet connection is wireless then leave that be. Check out what IP address you get, e.g. 192.168.1.x and make sure you use a different range for the other card.

On PC wired network card, set: IP Address = 192.168.200.10, Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0, Gateway = empty or 0.0.0.0, DNS empty
On Humax = 192.168.200.20, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway empty (or 0.0.0.0).

Now from PC you should be able to PING 192.168.200.10 for starters and also the internet still.

This will NOT get you on the net. from the Humax for updates or the like though unless you start messing about making your PC routing between wired and wireless.

probably all so much easier to get 2 x home-plugs, one into the back of the humax and one into the router.

If you can PING the humax then you will be able to see whatever is enabled on the humax. If you have content sharing turned on you will probably be able to see it through media players on the PC. If you have custom firmware and SAMBA installed then it may show in network area, if not \\192.168.200.20 from Start / Search or Start / Run or in explorer should show you the shares. If you have the FTP server enabled then you can connect to it from an FTP package or internet explorer say using ftp://192.168.200.20/ etc.

If I went down the homeplug route , I would need 3 as my router is wifi connected to my pc.. Is the ping connand cmd/ipconfig/ping
I have samba installed . It shows via wifi . but I can't play files from samba.
Sometimes i can files in network devices but most of the time not. I can play files via xmbc but i don't like this prog

Your PC would continue to be connected to the router by WiFi. The Humax would connect to the router by HomePlug. This is exactly the configuration I use.

Using the homeplugs would I need the pc on to get internet on the humax. or would I have to keep disconnecting the wifi dongle "Humax"
also would I then not need any othe software "apart from samba" to see files Thanks black hole.

Again, after the 10 pages of posts in this topic, your terminology indicates you are still confused how all this works.

If your PC can connect to the Internet via your home network, and your HDR-FOX can connect to the Internet via your home network, and if they are both operating on the same subnet, there is no reason at all they cannot "see" each other on the network (unless your router is deliberately blocking access, or there is a firewall operating in your PC).

For the sake of clarity, let's ignore everything that has gone before and check it all again. Answer everything below, leave out no detail:

1. In a command window in Windows, type "ipconfig", and copy & paste the resulting report text into your reply using the code tool. If you can't do that, in the command window type "ipconfig > ipconfig.txt", then upload the ipconfig.txt file as an attachment to your post.

2. On the HDR-FOX menus, go to Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN (Wi-Fi) and copy EVERYTHING you see on screen into your reply. Alternatively take a photo of the screen and upload it to your post.

3. In the Windows command window, type "ping xx.xx.xx.xx" where "xx.xx.xx.xx" is the IP address shown in the Configure LAN (Wi-Fi) menu screen in question 2 above, and report EXACTLY what happens.

Do nothing else. Just answer those questions and I'll advise what to do next.

As a footnote, regarding the HomePlugs, these are just an alternative means for your Humax to communicate with your router and thereby the rest of the home network and the wider Internet. As far as the Humax would be concerned, they are just like the Humax was connected to the router by an Ethernet cable. If you are using HomePlugs (or an Ethernet cable) you do not need WiFi. We are NOT talking about connecting the Humax directly to the PC via HomePlug, we are talking about connecting to the router.

Using home plugs would be equivalent to running an Ethernet cable directly from hummy to your router. No need to involve or alter the PC.
... Or mess about with manual IP addresses

EDIT: ps it is the router that provides internet access/connection not the PC, unless you have a weirded set up.

Homeplugs are effectively just a long ethernet cable / switch in one, i.e if you have 2,3,4 or whatver they can all communicate with each other. If one is connected to your router with a cable then it can communicate with anything else connected to your router, wirelessly or wired.

If you can PING / get samba connection etc. then you ARE talking to the Humax and whatever issue with playing files is completely different issue to connectivity.

So if you have connectivity wirelessly, cabled, or whatever then no need to tinker with that any more!

But the OP has connected his Hummy to his computer, NOT his router like he should be doing. It strikes me that we would be better off waiting for his replies to BH's questions rather than to speculate.

Tv monitor details Pc end ethernet wireless
ip address 192.168.1.65 ip 192.168.1.67
netmask 255.255.255.0 SM 255.255.255.0
gateway address 192.168.1.254 DG 192.168.1.254
dns address 192.168.1.254

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 18
bwizz.... not sure what you are saying there... we all keep going around in circles. Is this with cable connected pc to humax again or to router now?

Now we are getting somewhere (I read the above as evidence that both devices are communicating with the router). Just to confirm, does bwizz have CF installed?

But I understood he was connecting the PC directly to the hummy.
I think we need some clarification here.

To clarify . what i was hoping to achieve is a situation where I need a minimum 3rd party software "samba firmare is fine" To be able to a see shared media files on my pc via humax/tv and 2 to be able to access and play /record humax files on pc.
After seeemingly being unable to achieve this via my wifi network. I as previously advised , ran a network crossover cable. betwean pc and humax . with my limited knowledge
I was unable to get this situation to work either. If home plugs would achieve only the same as a crossover cable then I am no further forward.
I was previously advised that my BT wireless router which was the problem . Getting confusing.!

Please see all previous posts! If you run a network cable to your PC only then effectively you have two networks, they must use different IP address ranges as has been said many times before and then you can communicate from pc to humax but NOT from humax to the net. for Portal etc.

A homeplug or wifi on the humax and router would connect to your network in general and the internet and be accessible by anything on your network.

Once you have it on the same network, wired or wireless and can PING the address on the humax from your PC / get to the web interface then stop fiddling with network and concentrate on how to see the files on there.

Don't expect anything to appear in network area, it might, it might not. Just map a drive or go to \\x.x.x.x the IP address of Humax. much easier if you set a fixed address, e.g. 192.168.1.2 if your router is 192.168.1.1 as long as is not in the DHCP range given out by your router.

Back