Simple cooling solution for the T2

I'm sorry but you most certainly DID state that. Go and edit your post now and 'prove' me wrong.

No edit required. It says "in my opinion" quite clearly, from the outset, with no "edited" flag. What's all this bickering lately?

Hey guys I didn't start this thread to start an argument. It was started to show that there is another cooling solution which can be used.
If you read the data sheet for the HDD (Seagate ST1000VM002) the max operating temperature is 75C, so mine is sitting at about the 50C mark means it's pretty much in the middle of its normal operating temperature range. Also the crappy sleeve bearings used the internal fan will last a darn sight longer if its use is minimised (The bearings in the fans in my laptop cooler are ball bearings- much better and quieter And they can move over ten times the volume air that the tiny fan can). It is as BH posted also a good solution for those who don't have or want CF. And it is simple to install and use. Box on top of cooler, plug in USB to unit rear and walk away.

Last edited:
You have no figures on which to base your claim.
My opinion stands, but it's a pretty good guess: we know the HDR-FOXes crash from time to time (and I guess the fan speed freezes at whatever it was at the time of the crash - possibly off), and it's only one fan so one point of failure whereas a typical lap cooler has multiple fans therefore if one fails there are still others to continue the circulation.

Sorry I misquoted BH for Trev.

I would also expect that using the cooler will reduce the overall internal temperature of the unit by a few degrees as well which can only be good. Something the tiny fan cannot do.
I assume the HDD is the only thing we can get a temperature reading from and that there is no other internal temperature monitoring done within the HDR itself?

Last edited:
FFS. :duel:BH stick a 'probably' between 'will' and 'have'. That covers having no figures to base your comment on.:frantic:
Sorry, I see we are not allowed to edit our posts any more.

Just for reference

Temp graphs for each of my 2 boxes.
1 new (vert. UHF) style - box standing on end
2 old style box laid flat as normal
Ambient room temp : 27C

I'm suprised there appears little difference between these and the "laptop cooler" above.
newStyleHumax-OnEnd.jpg
oldStyleHumax-laidFlat.jpg

The issue for me is and always has been - the amount of heat next to the caps on the PSU
not the motherboard itself.

Room temp 27 degrees. Do you live in an oven?:D

Except it seems that the fan does not come on as often in the vertical one. But does come on full on both.

longJack 616

They are not similar. Take another look at the temp plot I posted again. When the laptop cooler is on the internal fan never comes on, and the temperature holds at about 52C. The laptop cooler on/off added in red just above the plot, and what the HDR was doing in blue just below the plot. The laptop top cooler seems to keep a fairly constant temperature all the time its running, the long "flat top" seen on the plot.

I assume the HDD is the only thing we can get a temperature reading from and that there is no other internal temperature monitoring done within the HDR itself?
The broadcom SOC may well have a temperature sensing, but as far as I know we don't have access to any other sensor

Looking at the times there was recording at the time - maybe that makes some difference too.
I think the point is - the built in fan doesnt produce a big difference in the peak of the graph
making further cooling probably not worth it. At least from my point of view. I can't speak to
your conditions.

Trev - yes... someone in the house suffers from a thyroid condition that makes her think it's cold all the time
so the heating tends to be on most of the time. It is indeed warm.

The point of both the fan package and your lappy cooler is to stop the noise generated when the built in fan comes on full. Why they designed it that way, who knows?
Thanks for the oven clarification. It must feel positively tropical.

Hi Guys

Time to rain a golden shower on a few fires. :laugh:

I realised earlier this afternoon that I had placed the HDR on the laptop cooler as you would a laptop. The fans are towards the cooler's rear. Therefore the cooler fans were only blowing air in below the vent holes in the bottom of the HDR that are under the back of the PSU and HDD. This made my first test a bit of a bum, however it proved that the cooler can hold the HDR at an almost constant temperature.
I turned the laptop cooler round (back to front) and positioned the HDR so that the cooler fans blow directly into all the vent holes along the front of the HDR and about 75% of the vent holes under the PSU and HDD. The HDR now runs with an HDD temperature held almost constantly 36C/37C irrespective of the box activity. I would also assume the PSU runs considerably cooler as well. :)
The result speaks for itself as can be seen below:

chart (1).jpeg

Oh yeah, and as for noise. The only noise is coming the rattling HDD and the noisy whine from the fan when it starts up. In my 2000T. :(

Last edited:
My guess is that the lower temperature you have obtained is due to you more accurately reproducing the air flow inside the Humax caused by the original fan, you'll probably find most of the 'hot air' is leaving the case via the original fan hole. I would also guess that better (lower) temperatures would be obtained by placing one of your 80mm fans against the original 'fan hole' drawing air out of the case

My guess is that the lower temperature you have obtained is due to you more accurately reproducing the air flow inside the Humax caused by the original fan, you'll probably find most of the 'hot air' is leaving the case via the original fan hole. I would also guess that better (lower) temperatures would be obtained by placing one of your 80mm fans against the original 'fan hole' drawing air out of the case

Yeah partly agreed. But you have a much higher volume of constantly moving through that internal airflow, which is by far, greater than the smaller fan could ever achieve.
This large volume of moving air is obviously much more effective at removing the heat to the point where it can remove no more, and is able to hold the temperature at that point. I would very much doubt the HDR fan could achieve that without being very noisy and having a very much shortened life. And yes you can feel a steady stream of warm air exiting the 'fan hole'.

I would disagree with your last statement. The holes of the 'fan hole' are not big enough for the volume of air moved by an 80mm fan. And not all of the air is blowing out of them. There are 25% on the holes in the base of the HDR not covered by the cooler fans. At a guess a larger volume of warm air than the 'fan hole' is exiting through these as well, so allowing for a larger overall airflow, therefore allowing the much lower almost constant temperature seen. Obviously if the ambient temperature increases the operating temperature maintained by the cooler fans will increase accordingly and to maintain a fixed temperature the speed of the cooler fans would need to temperature controlled.

Cooler is usually better but I think if I was going to run the drive a full 20 degrees cooler I'd be tempted to take it out and low level format it
at that temperature first.
That may be excess caution (my hard drive experience is somewhat out of date - 12inch platters and boxes the size of washing machines) but
if I remember right the expansion offset is still handled by bi-metal strips? Others may correct me on this but i'd be concerned about random
read/write errors.

Heads are all voice-coil servo positioned, and not by stepper motors any more. Any variation in the location of tracks due to thermal expansion is irrelevant. Further, low-level formatting is definitely a manufacturer-only operation.

Back