SMB shares on Windows 10

MontysEvilTwin

I took the plunge and installed Windows 10 on one of my laptops. I found that the SMB shares on my HDR-FOX units were no longer accessible on the laptop after the upgrade. At first I was worried that it was a problem with the version of Samba on the HDR-FOX. It isn't that, thankfully, but Microsoft have disabled unauthenticated network shares by default. To enable such shares you have to add an entry to the registry. There is a really good article here that explains exactly how to do this: it takes about two minutes. The fix works, but I had to reboot the HDR-FOX to make the shared folders appear on the Windows 10 machine again.

This bit, further down the discussion which follows the original article, seems to be the best answer (bearing in mind I'm not into Win10). See the last paragraph for Win10 Home (my highlighting):
SOLVED! I had a similar problem connecting Windows 10 to an older NAS. Here is my solution:

There is a setting in windows Local Security Policy which is incorrectly set by default for viewing an older communication protocol NAS.
To access said setting go to the control panel in Windows 10 (or 7), in Category view click on the text “System and Security”, then click on the text “Administrative Tools”.
Now double click and open “Local Security Policy”.
In the Local Security Policy screen on the left navigation tree, expand the “Local Policies –> Security Options” then about 2/3rd’s the way down the list you’ll see a Policy called “Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level”. Double click and change the setting to be “Send LM & NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.”
Then just press OK and close all of the open windows and then try again

In the case of Windows 10 Home, Local Security Policy does not exist; therefore make the change in the registry (use regedit).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\LSA
Add:
LMCompatibilityLevel
Value Type: REG_DWORD – Number (32 bit, hexadecimal)
Valid Range 0-5
Default: 0, Set to 1 (Use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated)
Description: This parameter specifies the type of authentication to be used.

There is also a 'fix' that has worked for some in the comments on the link given to MET here. It's a post by Dan on 3rd Nov 15.
Code:
Deleted. Duplicate of BH post
I have a Netgear ReadyNAS (RN) that I bought to replace an iomega StorCenter iX2. (SC) On my Surface 3 Pro. In 'My Computer' when I select the 'network' the RN does not show in the top 'Computer(n)' section but does show in the 'Media Devices(n) and the 'Storage(n)' sections. It shows up just fine on my W8.1 desktop and my W7 lappy.

However, if I connect both the RN and the SC to the network, both the RN and the SC show in the 'Computer(n)' section.
Also, without the SC connected, if I try to 'map network drive' to map to the shares on the RN, the RN does again not show in the dropdown list of available network devices. I can map a network drive by using using their UNC, something like \\Readynas\Data instead of the browse menu.
I'll try the 'fixes' in the link and see if that does things, but I think that the symptoms are different, as I can connect to the shares by using their UNC and the implication in the article was that others cannot connect rather than 'can't see'.
So, to summarise, although I can access the shares on the RS on the Surface W10, I can't see it in the 'network' section.

On a similar vein, what is the difference in connections between the three sections of explorer? Why does it show in one section and not another?

BH beat me to it again.

Ah yes. The quote box was pink on my lappy and I thought that it was something different. It's yellow(ish) on this one with the code panes in blue the same as on my lappy.

Well, the Local Security Policy 'fix' didn't.
I have also noticed that the only computer showing in the 'Computer(n)' pane is my W8.1 desktop (and the Surface itself). Missing are my NAS, FOXT2 and TREV-VIAO (lappy).

From another site. It's apparently a problem with Win 10 Pro, but I'm not convinced about that as a discussion also centred on the Master Browser role of various devices.

Anyway, the following worked for me and I can now see all my other network stuff in the 'Computer(n)' section of file explorer
Apparently the problem come from build 1511 because it use samba 3, so you have to disabled like that :

Command prompt / administrator and type two lines together like that :
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
And
To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

From the article, apparently the security can be tweaked through the control panel on Pro but not Home (which is why a registry tweak is provided instead).

BH beat me to it again.
What? There's 56 minutes difference between our posts.

Well, that's how long it took me to read and understand the article, and unfortunately didn't refresh the forum before posting. Well, that's my exscuse, but I did have the courtesy of removing my repeated dross.:D

Seems to me it would be better to work out what parameters are required at the server end to be accepted as a trusted device on the network.

That would be the ideal. The interesting thing is that my Surface can 'see' my W8.1 desktop but none of the others, such as my NAS, FoxT2, W7 Lappy. That would mean changing stuff on all of them.
The other strange thing is that it can see my much older iomega NAS.
Even when they are not showing in the 'network', I can access them all by using their UNC.

Just 'upgraded to W 10 on a couple of my computers, one to Home and the other to Pro, and found that they, and my MS Surface (W10 pro) and older W7 lappy all show up in the 'Network' section of file explorer. However, on the W10 devices, my NAS and my FoxT2 do not show up on any of any of the W10 computers' 'Network' section of file explorer. In addition, if you try to 'map a network drive', the NAS (or the Fox etc.) aren't displayed on the network of the W10 machines. After much Googling, I found the cause of the 'problem' and its solution.

The problem is that by default, Windows 10 runs SMB2/3 and the FoxT2 and my ReadyNAS seems not to like 'it up em', and won't display in the 'Network' section of explorer or the network Browse window, although you can still access/connect by using \\IPaddress\ShareName.

The solution is to disable SMB2/3 on the W10 devices as per the following lines at an elevated command prompt and following a reboot, all will be present and correct.

To disable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

And for completeness:

To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

To disable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled

To enable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto

But see Fenlander's post below before doing this.

Last edited:
I was aware of this problem, and although it does not affect me personally it will be useful to be able to point others at it.

Perhaps this should be included in the Samba reference in the wiki.
I'm sure it will be raised often in the future as people move to W10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To add to my original post (#1), the first laptop I upgraded was from Windows 8.1 Pro (32 bit) to Windows 10 Pro (32 bit). Since then I have upgraded another laptop from Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit) to Windows 10 Home (32 bit) and a desktop from Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit) to Windows 10 Pro (64 bit). Neither of these computers needed additional steps to be able to access SMB shares on my HDR-FOX units. So I went went back to the first laptop I upgraded and removed the registry entry I made (post #1) based on the article quoted therein and rebooted. The HDR-FOX share could still be accessed after doing this. More than a week and several reboots later, everything is still working fine.
I am not sure what to make of this. Clearly there are issues with Windows 10 and older versions of Samba, based on the number of Google hits on the subject, but as to why some installations need intervention and some don't I have no idea.
If you have a similar problem, the first thing I would do is to open Web-If>Diagnostics and do a force reinstall of the Samba package to refresh the share. If this doesn't help then perhaps try the fix suggested by Trev above (post #13).

Last edited:
Trev's method left me with no connection to any other network devices.:( I executed the command to turn SMB2 off, which appeared to work and then the one to turn SMB1 on, which didn't, saying that SMB1 was not installed on the system. The commands to restore SMB2 also appear not to have worked as expected.

The solution I found was first to turn network discovery back on, as executing the commands to turn off SMB2 had disabled it. This still left it impossible to turn file sharing on. To remedy that I went into Control Panel | Programs and Features | Turn Windows Features on or off. Under SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support tick the box for SMB 1.0/CIFS Client.

Happily my PC talks to the rest of my network again, now including my Hummy.

Sorry you had the problems, but it worked for me on all my W10 devices.
I have annotated my post above to read yours before proceeding.

Back