SOLVED: HDR-FOX T2 Unstable with 2TB HDD

There is one file which is only 177MB and which should be 4GB. The HDR crashes if I try to play it, and I remember seeing it permanently listed as playing (underneath Watching...) on the gui even though that was not the case.
Files like this that appear to be in use unexpectedly can prevent the Humax shutting down cleanly and cause a delinquent standby condition so are worth investigating and deleting,

Files like this that appear to be in use unexpectedly can prevent the Humax shutting down cleanly and cause a delinquent standby condition so are worth investigating and deleting,
“Delinquent”, what a nice, appropriate word. In future, I will keep a sharp lookout for such files instead of letting my subconscious mind dismiss it with a fuzzy “wonder what that’s about”.

If you click on Save last streamed output on Webif Browse page it will give you info about the file including the name then you can delete it via a command prompt
Code:
rm '/mnt/hd3/Streamer_down_file'

Success and a bit of a breakthrough. I formatted the 2TB drive, fixdisk’d it and was able to copy all files across. But when I went to the Portal the box crashed. After trying a couple more times, with the unit crashing again, eventually I was able to get to iPlayer. But then I got a repeat of previous behaviour: I got right to the point of streaming and then the box froze. I tried a couple more times - same thing. I then deleted the streamer_down_file and everything is rock stable again: entering the Portal and streaming iPlayer programmes is problem free. This proves beyond doubt that deletion of the streamer_down_file has solved my problem.

Many thanks MymsMan!

Success and a bit of a breakthrough. I formatted the 2TB drive, fixdisk’d it and was able to copy all files across. But when I went to the Portal the box crashed. After trying a couple more times, with the unit crashing again, eventually I was able to get to iPlayer. But then I got a repeat of previous behaviour: I got right to the point of streaming and then the box froze. I tried a couple more times - same thing. I then deleted the streamer_down_file and everything is rock stable again: entering the Portal and streaming iPlayer programmes is problem free. This proves beyond doubt that deletion of the streamer_down_file has solved my problem.

Many thanks MymsMan!
I really meant special thanks to MymsMan for coming up with the solution to a problem that has perplexed me on and off for some 8 years, but thanks too for the inputs from Black Hole, prpr, MartinLiddle and aw1

If you click on Save last streamed output on Webif Browse page it will give you info about the file including the name then you can delete it via a command prompt
Code:
rm '/mnt/hd3/Streamer_down_file'

Update. Since I posted back in early September, my HDR Fox T2 has been running all the time, solid as a rock, flawlessly. Previously, it would have crashed/frozen perhaps half a dozen times since then. Also, I’ve used iPlayer in the Humax portal several times, which, previously was enough to freeze the T2. There’s no doubt that MysMan’s suggestion about deleting the Streamer_down_file fixed my box.

Back