Spam attack....

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I've been reporting several in the last week or so, three this morning (presumably the same ones), and a couple of new registrations that had not left posts but had put web links in their profile pages.

Ezra Pound

Yes, it does seem a strange thing to sell on the internet, from a different country. Katowice turns out to be the Town in southern Poland that the 'wegiel' is comming from

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I've changed the way registrations happen. Rather than a captcha image. It now asks you a random question. Lets see how this goes before we consider manual approvals.

Thanks,

Michael

OP
OP
Wallace

Wallace

Slightly Pickled
I agree. Its getting a bit silly.

I keep getting emails to say new post in a thread I have subscribed to only to find it's spam.

My other half says we could do with an extension, but I suspect she means on our house! Well, I'd like to think so :D

HarveyB

I think insisting on a .uk email id could be a problem. You would effectively bar all BT users (btinternet.com, btopenworld.com), aol users (aol.com) ...

Ezra Pound

I think insisting on a .uk email id could be a problem. You would effectively bar all BT users (btinternet.com, btopenworld.com), aol users (aol.com) ...
Fair point, there would have to be a request procedure to allow users to be manually accepted if non .uk E-mail address were rejected for auto Emailing. The .uk only E-mail would probably not be needed anyway, I think the password would be enough.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
There have been a few spammers joining up recently with .co.uk email addresses, so even that can not be relied upon.

Ezra Pound

There have been a few spammers joining up recently with .co.uk email addresses, so even that can not be relied upon.
O.H. dear, That's worrying, I guessed they would be outside the U.K. because of the Polish / French content. I guess if they can be traced to a U.K. ISP they could be reported a little easyer