Suddenly started crashing on channel 85 (RT) 12th June 2014 - why now?

Londoner

Last night my machine started crashing and rebooting when tuned to RT. Thanks to this excellent forum I've discovered that the reason is associated with the red button IPTV service. I also checked 4Music today and it now reboots on that channel too, but oddly not with Viva.

I've been a regular viewer of RT with no problems up until last night, so I'm curious as to what happened then to start the crashing. The channel is now unwatchable (as is 4Music) as the rebooting happens every 50 seconds or so.

Are other users having the same experience or is channel 85 still ok for you?

Just for the record my machine was connected to Ethernet but I took it off the network and the reboots still happened.

Can you post your firmware version please? And also whether you are running custom firmware or not.
Finally, what transmitter are you receiving the channels from?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Chris, Humax firmware is 1.03.12 (7th Feb. 2014). Yes I am running custom firmware and my local transmitter is Crystal Palace.

We have had this reported before but didn't get anywhere with it.

I'm on the same setup, the only difference being the transmitter.

I tuned to RT this morning and have managed to watch it without crashing for over an hour.

I then wondered if it could be happening when starting the box up from cold and already tuned to RT.
And funnily enough, I got a crash after about 20 seconds!
Tried to replicate again, and no crash. Third time lucky and it's still not crashed.

Maybe af123 or someone could help by pointing us to a log file on your box?

I take it that it does this all the time for you, but you can tune to other channels before it crashes?

I have failed to make mine crash, either changing to RT or starting on RT.

We have had this reported before but didn't get anywhere with it.

I'm on the same setup, the only difference being the transmitter.

I tuned to RT this morning and have managed to watch it without crashing for over an hour.

I then wondered if it could be happening when starting the box up from cold and already tuned to RT.
And funnily enough, I got a crash after about 20 seconds!
Tried to replicate again, and no crash. Third time lucky and it's still not crashed.

Maybe af123 or someone could help by pointing us to a log file on your box?

I take it that it does this all the time for you, but you can tune to other channels before it crashes?

I'll see if I can get at the logs using the custom firmware.

I've just tested it again: RT crashes every 50 seconds whichever channel I initially start the box on. However, if I crash on RT, let the box reboot and reload RT, then I tune to another channel, that other channel also crashes! I have to let it boot up again to the other channel and then it's stable. If I'm on RT I can tune to another channel as normal provided the crash hasn't started.

The crashing on RT is always the same: after 50 seconds the picture freezes and I can't tune to another channel. The audio continues for another 10 seconds, then the Humax reboots.

Something must be causing this but maybe it's not the IPTV service being carried on RT if the crashing is only happening for a few people? Could it be something in the custom firmware?

It's starting to sound like its a custom firmware package that's crashing on boot.. But why would it be triggered by RT or Viva..?

Does the box display the word "crash" when it crashes? Mine did on my test earlier. If so on yours, then the logs should contain some helpful info somewhere as the software is aware it's going down at that point..

No, when it crashes it doesn't display the word 'crash' unfortunately. However, there's been a development!

I plugged the Ethernet back in as I wanted to use the CF to view the logs. I didn't change any settings on the machine. I loaded webif on my laptop and got the notification screen that said that due to the recent crashes certain packages had been disabled as a precaution. It didn't list which ones has been disabled, which would've been useful.

Anyway, I tuned to RT and guess what? No crashing! Not on 4Music or Viva either. Therefore it certainly points to a custom package causing the problem. There's nothing in any of the CF logs which give any clues. The crash log just lists the times of the crashes. There may be a hidden log which would be more helpful and if there is I'd be interested to see it.

I think that message about packages being disabled is standard.. And yeah the crash log just lists the time.

There is a humaxtv log which I think from memory you have to add a file to a directory in order for it to be produced (check the wiki). This may shed more light if it crashes again.

To enable the log run Web-If >> Diagnostics >> degubtv or via the command line enter :-
touch /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/debugtv HIDE Turn logging on
rm /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/debugtv HIDE Turn logging off

Would it be worth enabling the packages one at a time to see which one coincides with the crash?
Assuming one can enable one at a time.

Alternatively, enable all and deinstalled them one at a time ..

This could help determine what is causing the problem in webif, or even if.

To enable the log run Web-If >> Diagnostics >> degubtv or via the command line enter :-
touch /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/debugtv HIDE Turn logging on
rm /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/debugtv HIDE Turn logging off

The first method worked first time on one of my T2s, producing a 35k humaxtv.log file. Both methods failed on my other machine. The debugtv file was created in the above directory, but no log file. Both machines are identically configured:

Web interface version: 1.0.15 (Lighttpd)
Custom firmware version: 2.23 (build 2035)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_1.03.12)

Any ideas?

The /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/debugtv file just needs to be present (it has no contents), if this empty file exists then the /var/log/humaxtv.log is generated when the Humax boots up

Would it be worth enabling the packages one at a time to see which one coincides with the crash?
Assuming one can enable one at a time.

Alternatively, enable all and deinstalled them one at a time ..

This could help determine what is causing the problem in webif, or even if.

I intend to do this when I have some time as it will be useful to know in case it happens again. Probably a job for next weekend.

The first method worked first time on one of my T2s, producing a 35k humaxtv.log file. Both methods failed on my other machine. The debugtv file was created in the above directory, but no log file. Both machines are identically configured:

Web interface version: 1.0.15 (Lighttpd)
Custom firmware version: 2.23 (build 2035)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_1.03.12)

Any ideas?

I used the first method and after running 'debugtv' within Diagnostics was puzzled that no 'humaxtv.log' has been created. However, I then rebooted the machine from the CF and that created the log file.

I can't think of anything in the custom firmware that could be causing this. It actually sounds like disk corruption, possibly in the TSR buffer so you may benefit from a disk check in maintenance mode. To eliminate custom firmware entirely, try installing an official version and see if the problem still happens.

^^^ I already did the disk checks and it got a clean bill of health. As of now everything is fine and CF is still installed, but if the issue re-occurs I'll revert to the official version and see if that cures it straight away.

As the issue only occurred on RT and 4Music it does point to IPTV being implicated.

I used the first method and after running 'debugtv' within Diagnostics was puzzled that no 'humaxtv.log' has been created. However, I then rebooted the machine from the CF and that created the log file.

I'm mildly puzzled because the log file appeared immediately, without a reboot, on one of my two identically-configured machines, whereas it took two reboots before it appeared on the other. Not an earth-shattering issue, but curious.

I have had this issue now for at least 3 months. Although there are a lot of channels that this happens on. I don't have any custom firmware installed. I did a factory reset as requested by the tech support but this didn't help. If anyone finds the solution I'd be interested to know.

Back