Suddenly started crashing on channel 85 (RT) 12th June 2014 - why now?

Just had this issue while watching E4 - never happened before (only had the box since August and always run custom firmware). Turns out I had disconnected the network to connect to one on my Raspberry Pi's.
Plugged network back in and all is good again.
Hope this helps.

Yes, if you boot without a network physically connected, the box does not crash. So users who have never plugged in the ethernet would never encounter the problem. That is my understanding.

Could someone pass the information on, I presume you guys have contacts? I have no idea who to approach. Cheers and keep up the good work.

I am having the same problem on ch14 more4. the box crashes , picture freezes and box reboots to ch1. network plugged in or out makes no difference. did anyone figure out what is causing this and is there any solution? thanks.

Web interface version: 1.2.2-9
Custom firmware version: 3.03 (build 2368)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.03)

Last edited:
I have 2 routers, one is on a local network only and the other router is connected to the internet, I just plugged the humax in to the router which is connected to the internet and it has stopped crashing. I unplugged it and put it back in the local router it still appears to be ok. its a mystery.

It's no mystery. The More4 stream was causing the Humax to attempt an Internet transaction, but there was a network configuration abnormality which is not handled properly in the Humax code and crashes it. Your actions appear to have resolved the network configuration.

Its the first time I saw this problem and I dont usually have the box connected to the internet. do you know why more4 or any chennel needs to connect to the internet?

Lots of services carry MHEG data. It's not a problem if the network is OK or if there is no network at all; only when a particular network error occurs does the unit crash.

I have 2 routers, one is on a local network only and the other router is connected to the internet, I just plugged the humax in to the router which is connected to the internet and it has stopped crashing. I unplugged it and put it back in the local router it still appears to be ok. its a mystery.
You haven't by any chance got DHCP turned on on both routers have you?
If so, do they have overlapping address ranges by any chance?

It's no mystery. The More4 stream was causing the Humax to attempt an Internet transaction, but there was a network configuration abnormality which is not handled properly in the Humax code and crashes it. Your actions appear to have resolved the network configuration.
I found my HD-FOX-T2 started crashing after a minute watching the various channel 4 channels, with no network connected. But I did have an ethernet cable plugged in -- nothing on the other end. Unplugging it cured the problem.

It's all down to lack of robustness in the Humax code. Presumably the noise on the Ethernet receiver is being "seen" as an active network with nonsense data.

Back