Switching IP Address ranges

The Plusnet Hub One does have an option to keep the same IP address for each device.

I realised that the hosts file solution would only affect my PC and only the web browsers at that.

Ping, telnet would still require IP addresses, of course.

OK, off to factory reset my tp-link AX3000 Archer AX55 router.

The Plusnet Hub One does have an option to keep the same IP address for each device.
So does the Archer, see section 14.3 of the user manual.
I realised that the hosts file solution would only affect my PC and only the web browsers at that.

Ping, telnet would still require IP addresses, of course.
My experience says ping and telnet would use the hosts file on the PC.

My experience says ping and telnet would use the hosts file on the PC.
Good to know.

Good News, Bad News

It is with some degree of shock that I report that the factory reset worked.

Which is to say that I have installed the ARcher AX55 to my network and it says it can see the Internet.

I have updated the firmware.

The Hub One network map shows it at 192.168.1.68

I have changed the IP address of the Archer AX55 to 10.0.0.1 in the LAN section.

I rebooted it and it can not be seen by my PC or ping at 10.0.0.1

It can still be seen by the Hub One at 192.168.1.68 (which is the IP address set in the Internet section of the Archer AX55).

Once again, I am stumped.

What is the IP address of the PC?
Of course!

It was still on 192.168.1.66

Changed it to a static 10.0.04

It still couldn't see the Archer AX55

Turned off the DHCP on the Hub One and let the PC take an IP address from the Archer AX55...
It was given 169.254.175.38

No idea where that came from.

Ah.

Ta.
Have you configured DHCP on the Archer AX55? Have you turned off WiFi on the Plusnet Hub One?
When I changed the LAN IP Address to 10.0.0.1, I turned on DHCP and it created
an IP Address Pool of 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.253
Default gateway of 10.0.0.1

I hadn't turned off the WiFi on the Plusnet Hub One yet.

I have now.

The Archer AX55 has disappeared from the Hub One Wired Connections list.

10.0.0.1 is still not seen by ping or PC.

[Edit] That's it for me, for now.

I'm going to power down the Archer AX55 and turn on DHCP and wireless on the Hub One.

Last edited:
Why don't you just do what I suggested in #12 ?
You obviously don't understand networking and you are creating a configuration involving two separate subnets with all the consequent hassles of managing it without the skills to do so (and incomplete descriptions don't help anyone else understand what you are doing).

Why don't you just do what I suggested in #12 ?
You obviously don't understand networking and you are creating a configuration involving two separate subnets with all the consequent hassles of managing it without the skills to do so (and incomplete descriptions don't help anyone else understand what you are doing).
Obviously, I don't understand networking which is why I ask and receive help here.

IMO you just get more confusion that way, and double-NAT which is generally not thought to be a great idea.
If I've understood correctly (difficult to be sure), then all that is wanted is to connect a LAN port on both devices together and turn off the wireless/DHCP on one and enable it on the other, configured with whatever common IP subnet you desire on both devices.
The point of installing the Archer AX55 was to continue to use the 10.0.0.x IP range.

The Plusnet Hub One does not support the 10.0.0.x IP range.

As to the incomplete descriptions, I do not know what I do not know.

Therefore, I don't know which information I am not including that might aid your understanding of my problems.

Having said that, It's possible I have not understood your posts, so feel free to correct me.

Turns out to be a fancy wireless router, with no modem. Should be completely straightforward to configure, except TP-Link have obfuscated it through some kind of management app/web site, which (looks like) it might be remote.
FYI The TP-Link router has a login which appears to be simultaneously on the Internet and on the router.

Once you have set up a TP-Link account, you have to log in to it on the router in order to be able to access and change most settings.

Once you have set up a TP-Link account, you have to log in to it on the router in order to be able to access and change most settings.
I hate that idea. Don't know what's wrong with a management control panel which runs exclusively on the router itself. There is a benefit to spies of course...

I, too, am not enamoured.

Especially as it introduces a point of failure.

What happens if your connection is down?

My understanding is that you wouldn't be able to change any settings.

[Edit] Meant to ask...
@Last.To.Know: turn off all the WiFi and DHCP etc stuff on your Hub One, and hook the Archer's WAN port into any of the LAN ports on your Hub One. All you need to do to make the Archer communicate with the Internet through your Hub One is to tell the Archer what the Gateway and DNS IP addresses are on the Hub One.

Then you can configure the Archer to provide downstream Ethernet and WiFi as required.
The Plusnet Hub One is at 192.168.1.254
The Archer AX55 is at 192.168.1.66

Are you saying that because it's connected via the WAN port, I can set the Archer AX55 DHCP to hand out 10.0.0.x addresses?

Last edited:
Are you saying that because it's connected via the WAN port, I can set the Archer AX55 DHCP to hand out 10.0.0.x addresses?
I would have thought so, yes, but other opinions differ. My reasoning is that the Archer will run the home network, and should be configurable to use whatever subnet you want.

So far as I know, the only time the Hub One becomes involved is when the Archer need to pass traffic to/from the Internet, which is where the gateway and DNS addresses come in. However, I admit I am not aware of any intricacies in that.

It seems to me that what you are trying to do is not an uncommon thing, and there should be resources available to advise you on the specifics. If the user guide is not comprehensible, then there will (I expect) be forums or YouTube tutorials.

A quick skim indicates the Hub One needs to be configured into Bridge Mode. I guess that means it will then simply operate as a modem with the telephone/cable coming in one end and one of the LAN ports providing raw Internet to the WAN port on the Archer. Then I imagine the Archer will sort itself out to use the WAN connection from factory reset, if you power up the units in the right sequence (as indicated in this YouTube video).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=configure+ax55+with+plusnet+hub+one
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/LAN-issues-with-TP-Link-router/td-p/1889277

Thank you for your generous help.

And, amazingly (perhaps), that is the video I was following until I hit the roadblock with the Hub One.

I will go back to it.

It appears that the Hub One doesn't have a bridge mode.

I shall think on.

It appears that the Hub One doesn't have a bridge mode.
I imagine it can be configured as if it were bridge mode, but I don't know how locked down it is.

Bear in mind you don't need to use the Plusnet-supplied modem, any ADSL+ modem will do.

You can, and I have, turn off the DCHP and the wireless.

I watched the rest of that video and it turns out I'd already done everything he mentioned.

The trouble comes when I set the Archer AX55 LAN IP address to 10.0.0.1

It then becomes invisible to the PC and ping.

I can still connect to its WiFi with my phone and tablet and then see the tp-link management software.

I think I'll do one more factory reset and installation, later in the week.

You can, and I have, turn off the DCHP and the wireless.

I watched the rest of that video and it turns out I'd already done everything he mentioned.
How are you configuring the Internet connection (ie the WAN port) on the AX55, (section 4.3 of the user manual).

The Plusnet Hub One does not support the 10.0.0.x IP range.
I don't really believe that, but as I don't have such a device (despite being a PN customer as well) I'm not really in a position to argue.
Why do you want to hang on to this 10.0.0.x range so much?

Back