Switching IP Address ranges

I don't really believe that, but as I don't have such a device (despite being a PN customer as well) I'm not really in a position to argue.
I am pretty sure that when I first move to Plusnet some years ago I was surprised to find that it wasn't possible to change the IP address on the modem/router they supplied Iso I went and bough a third party one).

Having tried to find some usable documentation on this thing, and found there is almost none, it would seem I am wrong.
I guess they just want stuff dumbed down so much there are almost no options for anybody to tweak and they can get away with forcing people to put up with crap like this. An ISP router is the equivalent of a (so-called) smart meter - it gives them all the power (no pun intended) and you none.

As I see it, the OP has four options:
  1. Ditch the 10.0.0.x requirement and settle for what the Hub One offers;

2. Ditch the 10.0.0.x requirement and use the AX55 in Access Point mode along with the Hub One;

3. Replace the Hub One with a third-party modem (ADSL+ I presume) and use the AX55 as the router;

4. Ditch the Hub One and AX55 and replace with a third-party WiFi-router-modem combo.
For option 3, there might be an old router-modem knocking about which the Hub One replaced, but could still serve and might be suitably configurable.

If cost is not an issue, or if the AX55 is still within its no-quibble returns period, I recommend option 4. I would be looking for a unit which can be flashed with one of the open-source alternative firmwares, ie not locked down and every operational control exposed (don't necessarily flash it straight away!): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_firmware_projects – the primary ones being OpenWRT and DD-WRT.

You need to go into the individual projects to check compatibility – just because a particular router is flashable without bricking it doesn't mean it has enough resources to run any particular firmware.

Options 1 & 4 are also (or should be) the lowest long-term cost, only needing to power one unit. Ultimately this will outweigh any up-front capital cost*.

* EG: I'm currently paying about 30p/kWh. 10W ≈︎ 100kWh/year = £30.

Last edited:
Why not keep it simple? Start with something like below.

Plusnet One hub (BB connection)
  • Change IP from 192.168.1.254 to 10.0.0.254 / 255.255.255.0
  • DHCP server off
  • WiFi off
  • Most other stuff - off
  • Make sure the plusnet dsl stuff are correct something like
  • PPPoATM, 0/38, VC-MUX, username@plusdsl.net
New device (communicates to Plusnet hub)
  • IP 10.0.0.1 / 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway 10.0.0.254 (Plusnet hub)
  • DNS server 10.0.0.254 (Plusnet hub)
  • DHCP server on
  • WiFi on
  • WAN connects to Ethernet of Plusnet hub
Clients (communicates to new device)
  • IP 10.0.0.x / 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway 10.0.0.1 (new device)
  • (Where x not = 1 or 254)
  • Or auto DHCP

Last edited:
That's pretty much what I suggested in the first place, but it seems the Plusnet Hub One won't co-operate.

With its remote server-based control interface, I'm also dubious regarding the limitations of the AX55.

That's pretty much what I suggested in the first place, but it seems the Plusnet Hub One won't co-operate.

With its remote server-based control interface, I'm also dubious regarding the limitations of the AX55.
Both sounds unlikely, just need to get to the correct menu/settings for manual settings.

Last edited:
You can control the AX55 by connecting to it directly with a browser. The remote interface is optional. What limitation do you think the AX55 has?

Have you changed the IP address on a Plusnet One Hub?
Yes.
When I tried to do it some years ago I couldn't find a way to do it.
It should be in Advanced settings / IP addresses, although it's possible I used a different fw version than you.

Last edited:
You can control the AX55 by connecting to it directly with a browser.
So why the need for an account? Is it not "phoning home"?

What limitation do you think the AX55 has?
I don't know specifically, but clearly any web interface control panel only exposes the controls that the blob decide. My Netgear, for example, happens not to be one which can be flashed with the open source firmware, and offers no control of the target noise margin so I am a hostage to low speeds because the default target noise margin is too great. I'm not saying the improvement would necessarily be dramatic, but at least if I had control I could tweak it and see what happens.

The account is optional; it is to provide the ability t remotely manage the router.
I don't know specifically, but clearly any web interface control panel only exposes the controls that the blob decide. My Netgear, for example, happens not to be one which can be flashed with the open source firmware, and offers no control of the target noise margin so I am a hostage to low speeds because the default target noise margin is too great. I'm not saying the improvement would necessarily be dramatic, but at least if I had control I could tweak it and see what happens.
From reading the AX55 manual and knowledge of other TP-Link routers, I think the functionality to do what the OP wants should be available. It will be easier if Bottletop's suggestion that the HubOne can be reconfigured for the 10.0.0.0 range is correct.

I don't really believe that, but as I don't have such a device (despite being a PN customer as well) I'm not really in a position to argue.
Why do you want to hang on to this 10.0.0.x range so much?
IF you try to change the Plusnet Hub One IP address to 10.0.01, it gives the error
"These IP settings are not valid on the Plusnet Hub".

All my devices were on 10.0.0.x and I found it much easier to enter, especially on awkward interfaces that I had to access via the telly, such as the Raspberry Pi, NOWTV box, the telly itself.

Could you answer the question I asked in post #38 please : "How are you configuring the Internet connection (ie the WAN port) on the AX55, (section 4.3 of the user manual)."

How are you configuring the Internet connection (ie the WAN port) on the AX55, (section 4.3 of the user manual).
The box is powered down at the moment, but I think I let it choose Dynamic IP.

The AX55 could see the Internet and my tablet and phone could use its wireless to access the Internet.

[Edit] Powered it up just for you, Martin. Dynamic IP it is. Which I think it's taking from the Hub One.

Last edited:

Your analysis is correct, BH.

Because I just booted it up in the incorrect sequence, the Archer AX55 currently can not see the Internet.

And thus I can not log in to my tp-link account and so the Advanced Settings section is in read only mode.

The DHCP and the LAN section can not be edited.

IF you try to change the Plusnet Hub One IP address to 10.0.01, it gives the error
"These IP settings are not valid on the Plusnet Hub".

All my devices were on 10.0.0.x and I found it much easier to enter, especially on awkward interfaces that I had to access via the telly, such as the Raspberry Pi, NOWTV box, the telly itself.
I didn't realise the Plusnet hubs validate against 10.x.x.x as I had changed mine to another in 192.168.x.x range.
Other users on Plusnet forum seem to have that issue on their hubs one and two.

Last edited:
I think Dynamic IP is right if the Hub One is using DHCP but if DHCP is off then use Fixed IP address and supply the IP address of the Hub One.
To be clear, you are saying that with a static IP, the Archer AX55 Internet section should have the same IP address as the Hub One?

Back