Switching IP Address ranges

As I see it, the OP has four options:
  1. Ditch the 10.0.0.x requirement and settle for what the Hub One offers;

2. Ditch the 10.0.0.x requirement and use the AX55 in Access Point mode along with the Hub One;

3. Replace the Hub One with a third-party modem (ADSL+ I presume) and use the AX55 as the router;

4. Ditch the Hub One and AX55 and replace with a third-party WiFi-router-modem combo.
You've laid it out perfectly.

Options 1 & 2 are looking likely at the moment.

To be clear, you are saying that with a static IP, the Archer AX55 Internet section should have the same IP address as the Hub One?
Yes. In section 4.3 of the user manual (I assume you have a copy of the user manual) on page16 it shows the fields that need to be completed if using a static IP address on the Hub One. You would give the IP address of the Hub One, mask would be 255.255.255.0, Gateway would again be the IP address of the Hub One and DNS would either be the Plusnet DNS servers (212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10) or Google 8.8.8.8 or OpenDns 208.67.222.222. I don't guarantee that this will work but it is what I would try.

Yes. In section 4.3 of the user manual (I assume you have a copy of the user manual) on page16 it shows the fields that need to be completed if using a static IP address on the Hub One. You would give the IP address of the Hub One, mask would be 255.255.255.0, Gateway would again be the IP address of the Hub One and DNS would either be the Plusnet DNS servers (212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10) or Google 8.8.8.8 or OpenDns 208.67.222.222. I don't guarantee that this will work but it is what I would try.

Thank you for this: I will try it later in the week.

"using a static IP address on the Hub One"

Did you mean the AX55?

Yes. In section 4.3 of the user manual (I assume you have a copy of the user manual) on page16 it shows the fields that need to be completed if using a static IP address on the Hub One. You would give the IP address of the Hub One, mask would be 255.255.255.0, Gateway would again be the IP address of the Hub One
It won't work. You're effectively telling it that the WAN address of the AX55 is the same as the LAN address of the Hub One. The former needs to be different. Anyway, if he couldn't get it to work on DHCP (for whatever reason) then this is even less likely, as there is more to muck up.

Well...

I felt capable enough this morning to have one last try.

And it worked.

Here's what I did.
  • Powered off the PlusNet Hub One.
  • Unplugged the Ethernet cable to my network switch.
  • Plugged in the Ethernet cable from the Archer AX55 WAN to a PlusNet Hub One Ethernet port.
  • Powered on the PlusNet Hub One.
  • Waited till the Internet connection was solid.
  • Powered on the tp-link Archer AX55.
  • Factory reset the tp-link Archer AX55.
    • (Hub One [IP address 192.168.1.254] handed the AX55 its IP address of 192.168.1.68)
  • Waited till the Archer AX55 internet connection was solid.
  • Connected to its WiFi with my phone.
  • Loaded the tp-link Tether app on my phone and connected.
  • Logged in and changed the LAN IP address to 10.0.0.1
  • Logged into the Hub One on my tablet to turn off its DHCP.
  • Set each network device to DHCP.
  • Noted the MAC address of each device connected to the Archer AX55 in order to reserve a specific 10.0.0.x IP address for each.
Suffice to say, I have 5 (so far) devices connected, wired and wireless, to the Archer AX55 in the 10.0.0.x IP range.

I will probably migrate a couple of connections from my 100Mbps switch to the 1000Mbps Archer AX55.

I would, once again like to thank BH, MartinLiddle in particular and everyone else for their help.

I'm not sure anyone cares, but if anyone wants more detail,
I am willing to go into as much detail as I am capable of er... detailing.

Sounds good. Leaving DHCP on the Hub One until everything else got configured saved some manual steps.

I am somewhat shocked and stunned to discover that, despite my PC IP address being 10.0.0.4, I can still load up the PlusNet Hub One web interface on its IP address of 192.168.1.254.

Presumably, this is the magic WAN port of which you spoke.

That's interesting, but yes it would be.

The Archer is handling everything at the 10.0.0.x level, and anything else gets passed up the hierarchy until it reaches something which responds, via the gateway.

Logged into the Hub One on my tablet to turn off its DHCP.
You DON'T want to do that. The Archer is getting its WAN IP address via DHCP (as you said), so it will stop working (typically after 24 hours) when it can't contact the Hub One's DHCP server. You should probably turn off the Hub One's wireless though.
I am somewhat shocked and stunned to discover that, despite my PC IP address being 10.0.0.4, I can still load up the PlusNet Hub One web interface on its IP address of 192.168.1.254.
Why? Traffic is just routed to the Archer WAN port and goes out on the Archer <-> Hub One subnet. This is what a router does.

You have now got double NAT between your Archer LAN and the internet though, as I said in post #12.

You DON'T want to do that. The Archer is getting its WAN IP address via DHCP (as you said), so it will stop working (typically after 24 hours) when it can't contact the Hub One's DHCP server.

You have now got double NAT between your Archer LAN and the internet though, as I said in post #12.
Given that double NAT is bad, shouldn't I set the Archer AX55 IP address as static?

That would not change anything. It's the address translations that are the "issue", but my view is if it works...

Well, I've read about half a dozen web pages about double NATing.

They all tell me that it isn't necessarily a problem if you don't
"play online games or use port forwarding rules and Universal Plug and Play (UPnP)".

Which I do not.

Is there any danger in both DHCP servers fighting to give out an IP address to a new/rejoining device?

DHCP vs. static has nothing to do with NAT.

No, but wouldn't it fix this?
The Archer is getting its WAN IP address via DHCP (as you said), so it will stop working (typically after 24 hours) when it can't contact the Hub One's DHCP server.

Also I was following your advice...
all that is wanted is to connect a LAN port on both devices together and turn off the wireless/DHCP on one and enable it on the other, configured with whatever common IP subnet you desire on both devices.

Whatever, as long as I get no errors or any other network problems, I'll be happy.

No, but wouldn't it fix this?
Wouldn't what fix what? You can't fix double NAT with configuration. It's where you plug the cables that matters.
Also I was following your advice...
No you aren't, because you haven't connected it like I suggested (because of the inability of setting the Hub One's IP address to your preferred range), which was Hub One LAN <-> Archer LAN (i.e. using it as a switch/bridge) not Hub One LAN <-> Archer WAN (using it as a router).
The first way is one subnet, the second way is two. You really ought to go to networking school.
I don't think it would die after a period if set up correctly, but DHCP is obviously easier
What do you mean by 'correctly'? Obviously it won't die if it's set up as static. It will if it's DHCP when the lease expires and can't be renewed.

because you haven't connected it like I suggested (because of the inability of setting the Hub One's IP address to your preferred range), which was Hub One LAN <-> Archer LAN (i.e. using it as a switch/bridge) not Hub One LAN <-> Archer WAN (using it as a router).
Point taken.
Wouldn't what fix what?
Wouldn't a static IP address fix the problem of the turning off the Hub One DHCP server?

Wouldn't a static IP address fix the problem of the turning off the Hub One DHCP server?
Yes.
But you mentioned it in the same sentence as double NAT - "Given that double NAT is bad, shouldn't I set the Archer AX55 IP address as static?"
These have as much relevance to each other as putting the bins out has to feeding the cat.

Back