[sysmon] System Monitoring

af123

Administrator
Staff member
Ezra has inspired me to build a system monitoring package with a web interface plugin and the first version is available now. You need to upgrade the web interface package and then install sysmon and after the next reboot of the Humax it will start collecting data.

The web interface plugin adds a new icon to the main screen and takes you to a single graph which shows hard disk drive (HDD) temperature over the last hour. The plan is to extend this to a more flexible system and include other statistics such as CPU utilisation as time permits.

Done :)

Except I'm looking at it in iOS and the graph is rendered in Flash! :(

4291 will love that :D ... except he doesn't have a hard drive to monitor anyway :D :D ;)

First thoughts, Would it be possible to display only between 20C and 60C as even when starting from cold 20C will be exceeded very quickly (if is doesn't start above 20C anyway) and if it gets to 60C there is a problem, on a similar theme, on the same 194 sysmontools line there is a 'Worst' figure mine is 56C which is the highest temeperature that the hard disk has reached in it's life (in my case over 3200 hours), It may be worth while displaying this figure as it gives an instant indication that something is wrong
webif-hdd-temp.jpg

Except I'm looking at it in iOS and the graph is rendered in Flash!

Yep - but that's one of the best ways to get your web browser to do all the work so the Humax doesn't have to : )
JPGraph can render server-side but would probably kill the Humax.
Javascript could be used to paint directly onto a browser canvas too but that tends to kill the browser.

First thoughts...

Yes, I think there is a lot that can be done to improve this. The graph plugin so far is just what I knocked up in 30 minutes - I'll constrain the y axis in the next version as well as showing a larger time period with aggregated data.
The monitor.db database contains another table now too, vmstat, which logs several system performance stats.

Is the New Web-If Sytem Monitoring icon bigger than the others?, I was thinking there would be two lines of four rather than 3 - 4 - 1, the 'worse = 56C' would not need to be plotted, just displayed as a fixed figure maybe next to the graph title, as it is a permanent 'High Figure'

new-front.jpg

First thoughts, Would it be possible to display only between 20C and 60C as even when starting from cold 20C will be exceeded very quickly (if is doesn't start above 20C anyway) and if it gets to 60C there is a problem, on a similar theme, on the same 194 sysmontools line there is a 'Worst' figure mine is 56C which is the highest temeperature that the hard disk has reached in it's life (in my case over 3200 hours), It may be worth while displaying this figure as it gives an instant indication that something is wrong
View attachment 148

My HDD temp is being reported at above 90, as I've changed the disk to a 2tb drive, I guess.

Yes, I think the Sysmon icon should come down in size substantially, it is currently dominating. I would have thought it came under the general classification "diagnostics".

JPGraph can render server-side but would probably kill the Humax.

[project_manager_mode]
In which case maybe you're trying to be too fancy (because you can). Is there a happy medium where the info can be presented in a less fancy way without requiring client-side rendering (at least, not rendering that is not supported by iOS)? If the result was not good enough could it be an automatic fall-back if iOS is detected?
[/project_manager_mode]

I have MediaTomb installed and that results in a 3-4-1 arrangement.

You've lost me - what does MediaTomb have to do with it?

I agree with BH. I think the sysmon icon should be accessed via the diagnostics screen. The current sysmon icon is rather dominating!

You've lost me - what does MediaTomb have to do with it?
Installing MediaTomb results in another icon on the webif main page. Reducing the size of the sysmon icon would make it more acceptable but, in my opinion, it would still appear on line three.

Edited. Because I can. :D

I agree with BH. I think the sysmon icon should be accessed via the diagnostics screen. The current sysmon icon is rather dominating!
Yes, it's too big.

The reason it isn't under diagnostics currently is that the sysmon package is not part of the webif package. It's a separate optional package which provides a web interface plugin. Plugins can place icons on the main page and sections on the settings page but can't arbitrarily modify other parts of the webif. Any icons placed by plugins appear on a new line underneath the built-in icons and that's why there is a 3-4-1 arrangement. I'm reserving the top-right spot for something anyway : )

Is there a happy medium where the info can be presented in a less fancy way without requiring client-side rendering (at least, not rendering that is not supported by iOS)? If the result was not good enough could it be an automatic fall-back if iOS is detected?

Yes, a more textual display would be possible. The flash solution won't suit everyone but it does enable very rapid development and nice looking graphs. I've adopted my usual RAD approach here and released the work in progress to get early feedback and ideas. Sometimes I contemplate adopting the more formal closed testing and release cycle that they use for the Foxsat but this is a hobby and I have enough change control to contend with at work.

Installing MediaTomb results in another icon on the webif main page. Reducing the size of the sysmon icon would make it more acceptable but, in my opinion, it would still appear on line three.
I need to update the transmission and mediatomb packages to place their icons using the new plugin API..

My HDD temp is being reported at above 90, as I've changed the disk to a 2tb drive, I guess.

If you have access to Telnet could you enter this command line and post the result here /mod/bin/smartctl /dev/sdb -A It looks like your HDD is reporting different info.

smartctl.jpg.jpg
EDIT
Just realised I have a USB HDD fitted, If you get an error message, enter this command line instead/mod/bin/smartctl /dev/sda -A

I've also got a 2tb drive fitted and also getting a temp value on the graph of over 90. This is the output from smartctl

Code:
humax# /mod/bin/smartctl /dev/sda -A
smartctl 5.41 2011-06-09 r3365 [7405b0-smp-linux-2.6.18-7.1] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG    VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_
FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate    0x002f  200  200  051    Pre-fail  Always      -
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027  172  162  021    Pre-fail  Always      -
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  200  200  140    Pre-fail  Always      -
  7 Seek_Error_Rate        0x002e  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -
12 Power_Cycle_Count      0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -
194 Temperature_Celsius    0x0022  095  079  000    Old_age  Always      -
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -
198 Offline_Uncorrectable  0x0030  100  253  000    Old_age  Offline      -
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate  0x0008  100  253  000    Old_age  Offline      -

perkin77 : I've also got a 2tb drive fitted and also getting a temp value on the graph of over 90. This is the output from smartctl
I've had a quick look at your output and the data is obviously presented a bit differently, Your drive is likely to run hotter than the standard one but not at 95C, This figure comes from line 194, I think the 79C is correctly showing the 'Highest ever value' and I think the current value is 55C (at the end of the line)

I have noticed that the VALUE in 194 is always 100-(VALUE in line 190) and as the 2TB drive doesen't have an Airflow line 190 it is messing things up, It also makes me think the Humax uses something else to control the fan, maybe a fan thermistor

Back