The remote works brilliantly if you rub the black coating off!

fatbloke

There's another problem with the remote apart from the two plastic film strips. It now appears that the inside off the drop down flap has a black coating apart from where the clock is. This means the black coating also covers the remote sensor. If you open the flap you can rub off this coating that sits inside the little round senor window easily with a little drop of water and your finger nail without scratching it. Once done the remote works brilliantly. It takes a bit of getting used too as its been so bad for the last two and a half years, i still keep pointing it straight at the box but now there's no need too. My warranty has expired so it doesn't matter, but if yours is still under warranty it will almost certainly invalidate it so be warned!

My box came with a small circular clear area about 1 cm diameter in front of the sensor; so no need to remove any black coating. However, it does still restrict the angle at which the remote will operate.

Well I'm blowed! That's a brilliant improvement. Many thanks.

(My fingernail wasn't strong enough so I used a sharp knife very carefully.)

Thankyou for that Tip.I would never of thought of that, it makes you wonder, what with two bits of clear film and now this to scrape away,
Why was this little problem not sorted out or noticed in the design process.

It may be have been a production issue with the coating of the flaps. Perhaps when they changed suppliers or operative?

This little round bit thingy. I tried to scrape it off with spit and nail, but no luck. Is it a grey coating on the plastic, or is it a grey plastic film that just peels off. I don't fancy having a go at it with anything too hard for fear of scratching the undelying plastic.

This little round bit thingy. I tried to scrape it off with spit and nail, but no luck. Is it a grey coating on the plastic, or is it a grey plastic film that just peels off. I don't fancy having a go at it with anything too hard for fear of scratching the undelying plastic.

No, it's like a thin coat of watery paint that should come off easily once you get started. It's the same stuff they use on the back face of red LED watches to make them look black. If you rub it off your just left with clear plastic.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a brisker rub in the morning. Taking the inner film off the display area has made a lot of difference already. :)

Thanks, would never have thought of that! A paper clip works wonders if your nails won't cut it.

Thanks for the great tip. I used the blunt end of knife. My "OK" button is still a bit unresponsive but everything else is improved. Thanks again.

For anyone who cares, I've posted some photos

Back