The UK Driving Test

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I don't suppose there will be many here, but has anyone got recent experience of the driving test, perhaps indirectly?

I was in a discussion with a highly opinionated female friend recently (I generally keep my head down to avoid discussions becoming heated arguments), and pointed out that the driving test has practical elements about vehicle maintenance which involve opening the bonnet. She was adamant that "nobody ever gets asked that in a driving test". I then referred her to questions 12-14 on the Government web page, from the set of 14 of which one will be asked at random on a driving test:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-show-me-tell-me-vehicle-safety-questions/car-show-me-tell-me-vehicle-safety-questions said:
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient oil.

13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant.

14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.

"I don't know anyone who's been asked to do that, especially women!"

The reason of course is simple: it is illegal to take any vehicle onto the public highway you know is unsafe or it is reasonable you should have known was unsafe, and it's not just unsafe to you – any malfunction could risk other people's safety.

Needless to say, this friend is not someone who gets her car looked over between MoTs unless there's something obviously wrong, and just gets me to check the tyres occasionally. Doesn't even know how to open the bonnet (and it took me a while to find the lever in the passenger footwell).

So my question is this: are examiners avoiding questions 12-14 when they pick one at "random", or are they gender-biased when they pick the question, or is she just plain wrong? I know which I think!

I saw a young woman at our local test centre, opening the bonnet and pointing to various items, whilst being observed by a man with a clipboard.
I'm not sure whether this was before, or after the test, but yes it does happen.

On a modern car you don't need to open the bonnet to check those as there are dashboard warning lights. But often the dashboard warning light comes on when there is a sensor fault.

SWMBO took her test a few years ago and WAS asked to open the bonnet and point out dipstick etc.

Excellent. The next question is how long has that been part of the test?! I think the generation who could get a licence just by paying for one are (just about) dead now.

I think the generation who could get a licence just by paying for one are (just about) dead now.
I think that generation and the one after always knew how to check and rectify those things, because back then not doing it every week or two would inevitably result in an inconvenient and costly breakdown.
I remember having to grease many suspension joints every 1,000 miles in some cars back then.
Modern cars are just too good.

10. Tell me how you’d switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you’d use it/them.
I guess you prob meant front fogs, but nonetheless...

Last edited:
I guess you prob meant front fogs
No I meant rear fogs which countless people put on in pi$$ing rain, as on Thursday, or the slightest hint of mist. I don't know what they think it achieves. And once on, they never go off.
Front fogs are just used to fill in for lazy sh!ts who can't be bothered to get their broken headlights fixed.
They are all just a nuisance to be abused by the ignorant. I would ban them as they are almost never necessary in this country.

I would ban them as they are almost never necessary in this country.
Agreed. They seemed like a good idea, but that assumed drivers would have brains.

I'm intrigued by the artificial noise now required for BEVs and hybrids in EV mode. They are mostly much louder than combustion engine cars, petrol anyway, diesels less so maybe. In 10 years or so I think there is going to a problem when dozens of these are in city streets making a godawful din. Fumes pollution replaced by noise pollution. The blind people they are supposed to help won't know what the heck is going on.

but that assumed drivers would have brains.
The whole idea of a driving test and licence, were it conducted properly instead of as a tick-box exercise and forget it next day, is to demonstrate a satisfactory level of competence and responsibility! Not much hope, with so many willing to cheat the system and the system unwilling to stop them.

Then there are those who only pass after about 50 attempts. If you're that crap, give up!

I was given a blast on the horn by another driver today, who didn't seem to realise that I was on the roundabout when he was still behind his give-way line!

Not much hope, with so many willing to cheat the system and the system unwilling to stop them.
What hope is there when those at the top of the system are so useless/corrupt/wishy-washy etc.
Then there are those who only pass after about 50 attempts. If you're that crap, give up!
Like Maureen, from Driving School. I won't tell you where, but I had the displeasure of ending up with her parked next to me...

"Like Maureen, from Driving School. I won't tell you where, but I had the displeasure of ending up with her parked next to me..."

who didn't seem to realise that I was on the roundabout when he was still behind his give-way line!
Just watched the latest Doctor Who tonight and a substantial part is a satire on modern behaviour patterns assisted by social media.

OT, not making Catherine Tate the 'lady doctor' was a big mistake IMNVHO.

Front fogs are just used to fill in for lazy sh!ts who can't be bothered to get their broken headlights fixed.
I do a lot of walking. Using a pavement on my left in my direction of travel, I'm often dazzled by the tw@ coming towards me. Is that fog lights, main beam or incorrectly set dip? If it's dazzling me, what about drivers going in my direction?
I was given a blast on the horn by another driver today,
I'm fed up with the abuse of the horn near me, especially by some Wayne Kerr who sounds his at approx 06:30. Soon be time to shout back at them: "...And what else did you get for Christmas?"

Just watched the latest Doctor Who tonight and a substantial part is a satire on modern behaviour patterns assisted by social media.
Hmm. Thought I'd give it another go. That's about 3 hours I'm never going to get back! I won't be watching any more!

That's something to change: have a maximum number of attempts before you're considered inappropriate material to be a driver!

Back