Today's 3pm emergency alert

trog

Did it happen?. I certainly did not receive it on my old non smart push button mobile phone.

Didn't receive on my Samsung S8, wife's S8 did but I didn't hear the tone

Reports on social media seem to indicate patchy reception

Classic fail IMHO. Loud noise and message - only way to stop loud noise so you can think (without waiting for it to die) is to press "OK" ... which then closes the message. headwall.gif

If you know how you can dig it up from the archive in settings (on Android anyway), but would it have been so hard to supply a "mute" or "silence" button too?

Fail anyway: what they never mentioned on the news was that your phone would have to be Android 11 or iOS 14.5 minimum. They seem to think that covers the majority... really?

Fail anyway: what they never mentioned on the news was that your phone would have to be Android 11 or iOS 14.5 minimum. They seem to think that covers the majority... really?
We know you like to be on the bleeding edge of technology
1682290028484.png

Not received on my phones, but I wasn't expecting to, as I had previously turned off such annoying notifications.

I read that somewhere (gov.uk ? ). The lack of a mention anywhere else defeats the object. Restricting the alert to new phones or the most up-to-date OS is also daft. There have to be many older and not completely knackered phones out there. Who's going to buy a new phone just to get an alert? (I had to, my 3rd hand iPhone 5s's battery is shot, can't update past IOS 12.something and most new apps won't load - therefore a right racket at 3pm, twice (new phone has 2 SIMs?) )
I had previously turned off such annoying notifications.
I've turned most notifications off, but thought an emergency one could be useful. If it ever becomes annoying I'll turn it off. If only I could turn it off on a per SIM basis...

I saw that but ours are Android 9 +4G and we received the alert!

Restricting the alert to new phones or the most up-to-date OS is also daft.
I don't know about android, but with Apple, the alerts would work with anything from the iPhone 6S / 6S Plus models, from late 2015 onwards.

I don't see how they can do anything else. The facility has to be there in the wireless interface hardware/firmware, and the OS has to be able to do something with it.

I presume this is just piggy-backing on facilities already rolled out in much larger markets than the UK (and therefore bled through to phones sold in the UK), so at least it's not something new (unlike the Covid track&trace app).

I saw that but ours are Android 9 +4G and we received the alert!
I find that remarkable. The info does say some previous versions might work, but I expected that would mean 10 if you're lucky.

Not sure what the discriminator is. It might depend on the specific roll-out for make/model – Android is not usually vanilla, it has to be customised for each phone by the manufacturer, and there seems to be a pick'n'mix approach to what they include and what they don't.

My Samsung A3(2016) is on Android 7, and no updates are available (even if I wanted them). It's in the hands of Samsung to make an update available, and I doubt they consider it worth the effort (dropped support).

Shame – I won't miss tornado alerts, and I live on top of a hill so a tsunami warning won't be of much benefit, but I wouldn't mind warning of typhoons... they're so friggin' LOUD!

Despite being told to turn off their phones, there were plenty in the snooker audience who hadn't. I expect they thought "silent" would be good enough!

only way to stop loud noise so you can think (without waiting for it to die) is to press "OK" ... which then closes the message.
It's similar with normal notifications – casually dismiss it out of hand, and there's no way to go back and check if it was actually important.

I assume they are relying on those who do not get an alert being informed pronto by someone who has. At a guess 30% penetration would suffice for this.

I presume this is just piggy-backing on facilities already rolled out in much larger markets than the UK (and therefore bled through to phones sold in the UK),
That's my take as well. UK is behind the curve on this, but then again we generally have less disaster size events than the US or Japan.

You can say the same thing about seat belts or other such safety devices. They roll out on an 'as replaced' basis, so coverage rises over time.
And like many vaccinations, you don't need to hit 100% to have a big effect on the effectiveness on the population as a whole. The herd will fill in the gaps, so-to-speak.

There have to be many older and not completely knackered phones out there.
Indeed there are and for good reason. I have lost count of the amount of phones I have broken whilst working. It is not practical to carry around a large slab that requires you to swipe your dusty, oily or mastic covered fingers over and a cheap compact push button phone can survive for years rather than months but if it does suffer a fatal fall from height or a killer impact it can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of a smart phones cracked screen. I know many other people in the construction industry who do the same as me for the same reasons and just as many who are constantly taking their iphones to a repair shop.

Last edited:
cheap compact push button phone
Not so may of those will still work when they turn off 3G!

we generally have less disaster size events
fewer :rolleyes:

I assume they are relying on those who do not get an alert being informed pronto by someone who has. At a guess 30% penetration would suffice for this.
You think? "someone who has" will be straight onto social media, and the "someones who haven't" don't use it!

Back