Transfer of recordings

Thank you all for the valuable information and suggestions. It turns out that the .ts files can be downloaded to a HDD and via USB connection to the FOX-T2 individual files can be either played or copied to the box's HDD, then played back as needed.
Thank you all again very much.

I would like to ask about FTP transfers if I may. I am trying to connect to the FOX-T2 using Filezilla but it shows a message , 'insecure server, does not support FTP over TLS.' What does this mean, how is the utility betaftpd work in this case?. What can be done to improve security?

Filezilla is trying to apply internet-level security policy to your who-the-F cares local transfer. Disable its setting to require FTP over TLS in this case. There should be a way to do it per-site.

Thank you for the colourful reply, I am aware that I can change the settings I am however still concerned about sending unsecured information over the internet why is the server not configured to be more security focused, I know that the transfer process is within a local network but nevertheless you can't be too careful!.

My point was that you can. TLS is absolutely not required for local transfers, and betaftpd isn't configured to use it even if it could.

Worst case: Putin's sous-chef hacks into your LAN and modifies your transfer of "Unspun World" to include glorification of the victorious leader. If that can happen you have worse problems.

The WebIF can be run with TLS, which could be relevant if you like to check up on your schedules across the internet. The package repository offers secure file transfer solutions using SSH if WebIf functionality isn't adequate.

Thank you for the colourful reply, I am aware that I can change the settings I am however still concerned about sending unsecured information over the internet why is the server not configured to be more security focused, I know that the transfer process is within a local network but nevertheless you can't be too careful!.
You are of course aware that encrypting transfers imposes an additional overhead on the already stressed HDR-FOX processor. Rely on your router's firewall settings to keep your local network secure, don't worry about internal attacks because I presume you don't tolerate hackers in your household!

Hi, I am thinking of using Filezilla to access the FOX-T2 by way of file transfer, however, I don't understand how to set it up. For example what to enter in the fields, 'Host', 'username', 'password', i know the port is set at 21 by default, does this has to be allowed via the firewall settings?
where does root, Humaxftp, and password 0000 come in, if you can help with some pointers I will be most grateful. Thanks again.

For example what to enter in the fields, 'Host', 'username', 'password', i know the port is set at 21 by default, does this has to be allowed via the firewall settings?
where does root, Humaxftp, and password 0000 come in, if you can help with some pointers I will be most grateful. Thanks again.
Set protocol to FTP, Host is the IP address of the Humax. Leave port blank as the default will work. What firewall are you using? Set encryption to use plain FTP. Set Login type to Normal and then user is HumaxFTP (NB correct capitalisation is important) and password 0000. You may find it useful to use the Advanced tab to set the Local and Remote (ie Humax) directories.

Last edited:
How many times have I complained you won't look up anything for yourself?

If using the standard Humax FTP server (click through to actual article):
Stage 1.1 - FTP Access

First of all I needed to network my Humax. You could just run an ethernet wire directly from the back of the Humax to your PC; other people have had success plugging a WiFi dongle into the Humax and accessing it by wireless network. I have mine connected to a HomePlug AV200 ethernet-over-mains adapter, which links to another adapter located near my ADSL router and then connected to an ethernet port on the router by wire. My router is also a WiFi base station so the Humax is accessible via WiFi. This set-up gives me access to iPlayer from the Humax, I didn't have to configure anything.

On the Humax the FTP server needs to be turned on...

If using the Custom Firmware betaftpd package: Forum >> HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware >> Index of Package Primary Topics >> betaftpd.

Guys, it is because I have read the the relevant information, and it does not make sense to me!, that I am asking for help, which I always appreciate and value, please understand that i am not an expert in IT or computing or programming etc, I am just an interested person trying to make use of technology.

Set protocol to FTP, Host is the IP address of the Humax. Leave port blank as the default will work. What firewall are you using? Set encryption to use plain FTP. Set Login type to Normal and then user is HumaxFTP (NB correct capitalisation is important) and password 0000. You may find it useful to use the Advanced tab to set the Local and Remote (ie Humax) directories.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, I have followed your instructions and I can now log in and access the FOX-T2, and all its directories, and files therein.
So if I could impose on your kindness a little longer, please could you explain how to transfer from laptop to FOX-T2, how does it work, say if I wonted to transfer a recording from my laptop's Downloads directory to the FOX-T2's Videos directory? Thank you

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I have followed your instructions and I can now log in and access the FOX-T2, and all its directories, and files therein.
Good.
So if I could impose on your kindness a little longer, please could you explain how to transfer from laptop to FOX-T2, how does it work, say if I wonted to transfer a recording from my laptop's Downloads directory to the FOX-T2's Videos directory? Thank you
On the advanced tab of Filezilla set the local directory to the one containing the recordings you want to transfer and the remote directory to "My Video". You can also change directory using the Local Site and Remote Site directory trees that are displayed when you are connected; just try clicking about in those panes.

Good.

On the advanced tab of Filezilla set the local directory to the one containing the recordings you want to transfer and the remote directory to "My Video". You can also change directory using the Local Site and Remote Site directory trees that are displayed when you are connected; just try clicking about in those panes.
That is absolutely excellent, it all works very well now. I am very grateful for your prompt and detailed help. Thanks once again.

Back