Transfer recordings from Foxsat-HDR to HDR-1100S

chubtor

I saved all my recordings a few at a time from the old unit onto a USB stick and put them onto my PC. Now I would like to put them onto the new unit again using the USB.

I tried just one recording (3 files), plugged it into the side USB socket and was asked where to copy the files etc. I select HDD, Video files, the USB light flashes, eventually I get transfer completed BUT nothing shows up in My Recordings.

Let me add that these are all SD recordings, not HD,

Sorry it should have read HDR 1100S not 100S

Delete any sidecar files you have already copied (.hmt and .nts). In future only transfer the .ts files. The Foxsat sidecar files are incompatible with freetime units. You should find the files under Home - Humax - Video. They will not appear in the recordings folder which you cannot access.

If you copy the .ts files from your PC to a usb device you can play them using the 1100S usb port. If you share the folder and use a DLNA server like Windows Media Player you can play them directly from your PC using the box DLNA client.

Thank you very much for your reply, I have tried what you said and found that it works! Pity that they don't show up in Recordings but at least I have access to them via Video. The USB that I am using is only big enough to hold about 3 recordings so watching via the USB port on the 1100S is not very convenient. Eventually most of them will be deleted when the other half has watched them. Thanks again.

Thank you very much for your reply, I have tried what you said and found that it works! Pity that they don't show up in Recordings but at least I have access to them via Video. The USB that I am using is only big enough to hold about 3 recordings so watching via the USB port on the 1100S is not very convenient. Eventually most of them will be deleted when the other half has watched them. Thanks again.

The recordings partition is LUKS encrypted, only recordings made by the box can be stored in that area. You can play them back direct from the PC without copying them at all.

http://www.howtogeek.com/215400/how-to-turn-your-computer-into-a-dlna-media-server/

Again, thanks for your reply, I was part way there trying to use the Sharing facility on my PC so I think that I will be able to view all those transferred recordings using that method once I have the sharing permissions sorted out. I realise that I should start a new thread for this but I have another problem which I think is my finger trouble but the handbook doesn't help.

The box works fine when I plug in the power brick and everyghing boots up OK, but overnight it powers down presumably to standby so that the blue light turns red and no matter what I do, other than pulling out the power and plugging it in again will bring it out of this red condition. If I hit any of the numerical buttons on the remote it turns off and the red light goes out. If I hit power the red light goes out, any other button seems to do nothing. Is this new (refurbished purchase from Humax Direct) faulty, or am I doing something stupid?

Again, thanks for your reply, I was part way there trying to use the Sharing facility on my PC so I think that I will be able to view all those transferred recordings using that method once I have the sharing permissions sorted out. I realise that I should start a new thread for this but I have another problem which I think is my finger trouble but the handbook doesn't help.

The box works fine when I plug in the power brick and everyghing boots up OK, but overnight it powers down presumably to standby so that the blue light turns red and no matter what I do, other than pulling out the power and plugging it in again will bring it out of this red condition. If I hit any of the numerical buttons on the remote it turns off and the red light goes out. If I hit power the red light goes out, any other button seems to do nothing. Is this new (refurbished purchase from Humax Direct) faulty, or am I doing something stupid?

Try turning off whatever your TV calls CEC control.

Trade names for CEC are Anynet+ (Samsung); Aquos Link (Sharp); BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony); HDMI-CEC (Hitachi); E-link (AOC); Kuro Link (Pioneer); CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba); RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo); RuncoLink (Runco International); SimpLink (LG); HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link (Panasonic); EasyLink (Philips); and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi).

I have a Samsung so I have turned off Anynet+. and this seems to have done the trick but I need to wait to see if it does go into automatic standby at some stage - I have not set the power on/off timers so I hope it will not - and then I will report back.
Thanks again.

I have also managed to set up file sharing and after a few hiccups this also works so I have no need to transfer all my old videos onto the new box.

One final question, although I have no need of it immediaately. Do you know if the USB output on this new box is capable of powering an external SSD drive mounted in a USB3 caddy?

Turn off auto power off - Settings - System Settings - Power Saving - Automatic Power Down - Off. No idea as to SSD what current does it take compared to normal usb2 drive (these work fine) ?

I suspect that a USB3 caddy would take similar current to a USB2 one, if the internal drives were the same.
Why on earth would you want to use an expensive SSD to record stuff from play stuff on the box. An ordinary HDD will easily keep up with a USB2 port squirting out TV video. :frantic: Total waste of your hard earned.

Last edited:
I suspect that a USB3 caddy would take similar current to a USB2 one, if the internal drives were the same.
Why on earth would you want to use an expensive SSD to record stuff from the box. An ordinary HDD will easily keep up with a USB2 port squirting out TV video. :frantic: Total waste of your hard earned.

Where did record come from ? You cannot record to USB using a HDR1100S. Only a HB1000S can do that. No idea what advantage the OP thinks a SSD will endow.

Silly me. Thanks GLT. Corrected, but error left crossed out. But at least we seem to be 'as one' WRT the use of an SSD.

It so happens that I have several SSD drives taken from computers I have upgraded and I have a USB3 caddy.

USB3 pen drives do not format in FAT and my old Humax would only accept FAT. So I thought I would ask the question.

If this new Humax will recognise a USB3 pen drive formatted in NTFS that would be a good solution too.

I think that I have answered my own question. I put a movie onto a USB3 memory stick formatted in NTFS and then in exFAT, (they are the only formats recognised by my PC for USB3Drives) and found that when trying to play it that it shows an incorrect format and cannot play. I take that to mean that the box does not recognise USB3 or anything in these formats and consequently, even if there was enough power to drive a SSD, the format would not be recognised.

Thanks to all who have helped me set up this new box, particular thanks to GLT who showed me how to stream from my PC, I hope to have as many years of enjoyment with this one as I did with my old one.

I think that I have answered my own question. I put a movie onto a USB3 memory stick formatted in NTFS and then in exFAT, (they are the only formats recognised by my PC for USB3Drives) and found that when trying to play it that it shows an incorrect format and cannot play. I take that to mean that the box does not recognise USB3 or anything in these formats and consequently, even if there was enough power to drive a SSD, the format would not be recognised.

Thanks to all who have helped me set up this new box, particular thanks to GLT who showed me how to stream from my PC, I hope to have as many years of enjoyment with this one as I did with my old one.

USB3 is not the problem, it's backwards compatible with USB2. I often use a 1TB USB 3 drive with my HDR1000S. Neither is NTFS, the Freetime boxes have native support for NTFS. You could try using a mobile phone usb charger or the rear usb slot to provide power for the drive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-El...1838891&sr=8-1&keywords=usb3+cable+with+power

Thank you for your comments, let me relate what I have found so far with the 1100S. A USB2 memory stick formatted to FAT32 is recognised and I can play movie files that are on the stick. A USB3 stick formatted to exFAT is not recognised at all when plugged in, nothing happens. The same USB3 memory stick formatted to NTFS is recognised and shows up alongside the hard drive BUT the same movie file does not play with the mesage "file format not recognised. What I have yet to determine is how to format a USB3 drive with FAT32 as that option does not appear on my PC when I go to format options. Note these are all 64Gb memory sticks, no SSD using power etc.

What I have yet to determine is how to format a USB3 drive with FAT32 as that option does not appear on my PC when I go to format options. Note these are all 64Gb memory sticks, no SSD using power etc.
The inbuilt Windows fat32 formatter does not cater for formatting drives greater than 32GB in size.
I haven't needed to format to FAT32 for anything larger than 32GB for a couple of years, partly due to its limitation of 4GB maximum size for an individual file. If that 4gb individual file limit is OK for you then you could try the FAT32 formater that I've used for drives from 64GB to 1TB. http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/

The other point to watch out for is to check that your USB3 SSD is USB2 compatible. If it doesn't state on the drive it self and you haven't got the original package then a quick google should come up with the answer.

The same USB3 memory stick formatted to NTFS is recognised and shows up alongside the hard drive BUT the same movie file does not play with the message "file format not recognised.
Are you sure that film played OK before?

Back